Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hari
Visitor

HLS live channel to Roku

Hi,

I have my own TV channel. I am feeding this channel to couple of other platforms thru RTMP, HLS (multi-bitrate) and IP-FEC.

I would like to provide this HLS feed to Roku as well. Please let me know the process to provide this HLS feed to Roku.

Note: I use AWS to create HLS multi-bitrate and use AWS Cloudfront (CDN) to deliver to other platforms. 

Thanks !
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: HLS live channel to Roku

I believe HLS Live streaming does work now, although I don't recall seeing any kind of official announcements about it (maybe there was a blog post or something). But people here just started posting about a year or so ago about it on their channels with other questions about it. Seems it does work, you could search this forum for "HLS". Interesting point about the bitrate, I think I recall that being an issue, maybe a glitch of adaptive bitrate not being allowed, and you need to state one. (I may be wrong on that, search around but I thought there was an issue with that).

From what I recall reading tho, HLS live video streams can work. (about 2 years ago it wasn't supported).
0 Kudos
tim1607
Visitor

Have you tried putting the link in the Roku Stream Tester?  It just takes that specific URL without any channel code around it.  that might let you know if it is a XML/JSON error or something wrong with the video stream itself
Here is the page that has the stream tester, it has proven invaluable to me several times. Developer Tools
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

I'm going to assume this has been resolved.. but for future reference..

HLS was not (and I haven't heard that it is yet) supporte by DP. HOWEVER..

I've been doing a live hl feed since DP came around over three years now..

The secret is the video type.... HLS ... instead of MP4 or whatever ...

{"providerName":"TVByDemand Productions",
"lastUpdated":"2019-03-06T9:32:54+00:00",
"language":"en",
"movies":[{
"id":"1",
"title":"24/7 Full Streaming",
"content":{
"dateAdded":"2015-11-11T22:21:37+00:00",
"videos":[
{
"url":"http://www.tvbydemand.com/..................media1.m3u8",
"quality": "SD",
"videoType":"HLS"
}
],
"duration":2408
},
"genres":[
"sports",
"special",
"news"
],
"tags":[
"24/7 streaming",
"misc",
"comedy",
"pro wrestling",
"music",
"documentaries",
"DIY",
"live tv"
],
"thumbnail":"http://www.tvbydemand.com/images/streaming-tv-logo1%20copy.jpg",
"releaseDate":"2015-03-06",
"shortDescription":"Channel 1 Streaming TV MISC.",
"longDescription":"A little bit of everything from Documentaries, how tos/DIY, Pro Wrestling, Hockey Live Music and much much more always fresh and new"
},
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
CEWaffles
Visitor

@mitchstein [/color]
Where are you declaring your information?[/color]
Is this within the brs, xml, or rss feed that is loaded?[/color]

{"providerName":"TVByDemand Productions",
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"lastUpdated":"2019-03-06T9:32:54+00:00",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"language":"en",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"movies":[{[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"id":"1",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"title":"24/7 Full Streaming",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"content":{[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"dateAdded":"2015-11-11T22:21:37+00:00",[/font]
"videos":[
{

[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"url":"http://www.tvbydemand.com/..................media1.m3u8",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"quality": "SD",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"videoType":"HLS"[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]}[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]],[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"duration":2408[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]},[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"genres":[[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"sports",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"special",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"news"[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"tags":[[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"24/7 streaming",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"misc",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"comedy",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"pro wrestling",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"music",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"documentaries",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"DIY",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"live tv"[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"thumbnail":"http://www.tvbydemand.com/images/streaming-tv-logo1%20copy.jpg",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"releaseDate":"2015-03-06",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"shortDescription":"Channel 1 Streaming TV MISC.",[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]"longDescription":"A little bit of everything from Documentaries, how tos/DIY, Pro Wrestling, Hockey Live Music and much much more always fresh and new"[/font]
},

I ask as I have been having issues with a few different m3u8 files. Some work fine, others work for about 6 to 12 seconds then stop, others just don't play. when I know they play through VLC.[/color]

I haven't tried the Stream Tester, as I really wasn't aware of it. I will have to take a look at it and try. [/color]
Thanks
~SCEW
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

that is a json file entry example for a live broadcast.. used by the dp player..
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos