Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
podworx
Streaming Star

Switching Channel from SDK to Direct Publisher

Hello,

We have an existing Roku Channel that was created using the SDK.  We would like to replace it with a Direct Publisher-based Channel.  Same URL, same placement in the channel store, and still using existing analytics.  For folks already subscribed to the existing channel, when the new RDP channel is launched, it replaces the previous content/layout.

I don't see how I make that switch.

Is it possible?  If so, how do I do so?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Switching Channel from SDK to Direct Publisher

Direct Publisher uses a feed file to drive the channel.  You'll need to create and manage either an MRSS or JSON feed file that describes your channel content.  Having said that, you should be aware that Direct Publisher does not currently support a subscription model.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

"Baradanikto" wrote:
Direct Publisher uses a feed file to drive the channel.  You'll need to create and manage either an MRSS or JSON feed file that describes your channel content.  Having said that, you should be aware that Direct Publisher does not currently support a subscription model.

I would like to completely replace the existing channel w/ the new channel developed w/ DP.  Is that possible?  Can I go into the Manage Channel section, select the channel in question, and say, "Stop using the SDK version, now use the DP version"?
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I've never done that. But, if I was switching from SDK to Direct Publisher, I would create it as a separate test channel first. Then, when the "kinks" are all worked out, I'd publish it and remove the old SDK channel.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

"Baradanikto" wrote:
I've never done that. But, if I was switching from SDK to Direct Publisher, I would create it as a separate test channel first. Then, when the "kinks" are all worked out, I'd publish it and remove the old SDK channel.

Understood.  The challenge is we want people already viewing our existing channel to keep the same "channel url" but just see the new content.  IOW, I don't want all the people who are currently viewers to suddenly lose their existing channel and then have to go find and add the new version.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

That shouldn't be a concern. Each channel is defined by a unique character code, so, the new channel can't suddenly replace the old one. Consider placing some kind of announcement in the SDK channel that as of a certain date all video will be available in the new channel only. That would give your viewers ample time to switch.
0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

So, bottom line, I can't replace the old w/ the new?
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

There's nothing in the Developer Portal that acts like the switch you're looking for.  You can replace the 'new' with the 'old', but, not the way you'd like.  It will take some logistics, but, it can be done with what I have mentioned.
0 Kudos