Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku pulling all videos on the channel every 6 hours

I wrote a Roku feed generation system for CASTUS, and have created a Roku channel with that feed (URL: https://roku.api.castus.tv/v1/feeds/castus). I have noticed that every six hours, all of the content on the channel is being downloaded from AWS by a Roku IP address. This has caused 14TB of bandwidth usage over the past month and $2000 in charges.

Is there documentation on how to not make that happen? If this happens every time that the feed is reingested, how do other channels deal with the bandwidth usage?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Roku pulling all videos on the channel every 6 hours

Honestly only a few people post here with much frequency. Not sure if they use AWS although people have stated it in the past. You could have better results if you try searching the forum for AWS and direct messaging them asking if they encountered this.

I don't use them, though what you're saying could make sense as my video plays tend to be higher than my channels viewership. Although, I don't even update all that often so I'm not sure why its always doing it. .
0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

Based on my CDN report, Roku checks your video files every 6 hours, just check if video file is still there or not. They do not downloading all of videos.  I think AWS is counting a file hit as a full download. You need to investigate and probably change your CDN.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I use Amazon S3 with CloudFront.  I took a look at your feed file.  It would appear that you are executing a php script every time someone views a video.  If that's correct, that seems pretty inefficient.  Amazon's CloudFront provides a cached object to serve your videos on a demand basis.  I don't see any extra charges on my Amazon account.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos

"Baradanikto" wrote:
I use Amazon S3 with CloudFront.  I took a look at your feed file.  It would appear that you are executing a php script every time someone views a video.  If that's correct, that seems pretty inefficient.  Amazon's CloudFront provides a cached object to serve your videos on a demand basis.  I don't see any extra charges on my Amazon account.

The endpoint is only named dl.php for compatibility reasons. It's not actually running a PHP script, it's redirecting to an AWS bucket.
0 Kudos