Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_sliq
Visitor

HLS Stream Help

Hello everyone! 

This is my first post on roku forums, and i was hoping some of you could help me with a task i have been given. I have no previous experience with roku development and/or creating channels. I did read some documentation although it did not really help me.

I need to be able to create a Channel that streams HLS format from a link that I already have. I have used InstantTV to create this channel and pkg file to upload to the roku. It is working just fine although i have this dilemma. The HLS stream is always LIVE, but sometimes it will be a meeting being streamed, and other times it will be a simple image, although this is still content. I was told we have an on premise API that allows us to determine when a meeting goes live and when it ends.

Now that I have the channel being streamed at all times, how would i be able to record a VOD and store it, so that i can show the VOD on a different channel? 
Also, is there a way to notify that a stream has gone live ?

Overall, i would like to know if it is possible to interface the API with a JSON feed, from what i have been researching, to allow the notification that a meeting is going live, record that meeting, and when it ends, save the VOD, and have it be playable on another channel. I myself do not know if this is possible, i would just need some guidance.

Thanks for the answers in advance, i appreciate any input.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: HLS Stream Help

Wouldnt you do the recording local? How are you streaming your video, are you using OBS or Wirecast or something. Otherwise if your streaming to a video streaming site like Dacast you could record thru them, but id doubt you would due to streaming fees and 24/7 bandwidth.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: HLS Stream Help

I agree you'd want to run the recording at the source ingest point for your live stream.  This gives you a cleaner recording, fewer network interruptions and/or possible congestion.  Depending on your streaming software at the origin you can set it to automatically record on a set schedule and automate post processing and storage routines. I don't know how this question relates to Direct Publisher - as it'd be more of a streaming support question than related to the minimal feature set direct publisher provides. You said you created an InstantTV channel with a pkg file, which means you aren't using direct publisher for this - ie you posted to the wrong forum, it ought to be in the other developer forum Roku Developer Forum
0 Kudos