Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WillyRC
Visitor

Json Feed. HLS Stream only

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone with experience would mind looking this Json Feed Script over for me.  This is for a simple channel with only a HLS stream.  You open the channel and the stream pulls right up.  One of my big questions was the "duration".  Since I would like it to play continuously.  Also under ID is that where you add your Google Analytics ID?

{"id":"Google ID","title":"Live: Texas Weather Tracker TV","shortDescription":"Live Metroplex and North Texas Weather 24/7!","thumbnail":"add 1280 png thumbnail here","genres":["weather"],"tags":["live"],"releaseDate":"2019-06-25","content":{"dateAdded":"2019-06-25T14:14:54.431Z","captions":[],"duration":[],"videos":[{"url":"add m3u8 link here","quality":"HD","videoType":"HLS"}]}}]
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
tim1607
Visitor

Re: Json Feed. HLS Stream only

I'm not sure about the continuous play, but the ID is more like an SKU for the video. It's not really anything to do with video and Google, it's an internal thing. 
0 Kudos
WillyRC
Visitor

Ok thats good to know  How would I know what that number is then.  Do I just make it up?  Or where do I get a number for my video?
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

tim1607 is correct.  The ID has nothing to do with Google.  Each item in your feed file must have a unique identifier.  The identifier can be any string that you want.  Some developers use a uuid, while others use the name of the video.

Here's an answer from the partner forum that may help your HLS issues:

If your channel relies on live stream content showing in real-time, building an SDK channel is going to offer the most seamless experience for dynamic/live content. With an SDK channel, you have more control over how often your content feed is updated. In contrast, Direct Publisher feeds only sync a few times a day, rather than continuously. 
If you want to keep your Direct Publisher channel and offer live content, our recommendation is to:

• Program messaging within your live stream (something like "Check Back Later") that plays when live content is not available. That means your live streams would be running 24/7.

• Use validityPeriodStart to indicate when your live stream begins. This field value will tell Direct Publisher when to make the content available in the channel, regardless of when the ingestor actually runs.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
WillyRC
Visitor

Is there anyone who can help me get the feed figured out.  I have the web server to load it into.  I am just not sure what to do with this.  My is short and simple since this is just a live 24/7 stream.  
0 Kudos