Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usaprotour
Streaming Star

monthly payment from Roku decreases from the previous month with rising Cumulative Installs

How does my monthly payment from Roku decrease (go down) from the previous month, when my Cumulative Installs are rising ?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: monthly payment from Roku decreases from the previous month with rising Cumulative Installs

Are you referring to PPV or charges to install the channel? ($1.99 etc), or are you referring to ad revenue.

Obviously ad revenue is not based on installs. I didnt think Direct Publisher had PPV but if so, not sure. Could it be a monthly subscription and cancellations increased too. Really need more insight but if it isnt a DP channel def use the other forum
0 Kudos
usaprotour
Streaming Star

Re: monthly payment from Roku decreases from the previous month with rising Cumulative Installs

37mediagroup   

Thank you for the reply.  Referring to the $1.99 monthly subscriber fee, which my audience pays, and is currently the source of my monthly earnings with Roku (not enrolled in ad revenue program). My audience installs the app for free, then become active paying subscribers after 7 days, if app is not uninstalled/deleted.
Yes, there's a possibility there were a few more cancellations for this recent pay period, and also possible momentum on new installs slowed down, but since my overall installs grew, I thought my monthly revenue would continue to grow in a positive direction.    
And yes, fairly certain Direct Publisher is correct forum for me (as opposed to Developer Forum)
Thanks again
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

"usaprotour" wrote:
Yes, there's a possibility there were a few more cancellations for this recent pay period, and also possible momentum on new installs slowed down, but since my overall installs grew, I thought my monthly revenue would continue to grow in a positive direction.   

I mean, again, it's 'entirely' possibly the net cancellations exceeded the net installs. Let's take a snowboarding channel, for $1.99/mo. Let's say their first winter they get a few hundred a month, and by March they have 1000 installation. Weather warms up, but still a few random enthusiasts come across the channel, and they get 50 installs in May. Sounds like an increase, right?  Well, what if those who initially signed up, those 1,000, what if 200 cancel in May as their no longer as interested in watching snowboarding. Any gain from those 50 'installs' would be offset by those 200 cancellations.
Does Roku supply reports or info on the number of cancellations?  Would help diagnose it as opposed to just "there's a possibility there were a few more cancellations"
0 Kudos
usaprotour
Streaming Star

Thanks for the detailed reply -

Yes, in my Developer dashboard, I have access to Transaction Reporting, and Sales and transaction activity.  The reporting fields include date of transaction, transaction type (purchase, cancellation) and other data, such as zip code location of Roku TV involved in purchase, etc.  Up to this point, it seems to be a modest number of cancellations vs total monthly subscription payments collected - maybe, roughly, 1 cancellation for every 10 purchase transactions.  At this time, based on the transaction data I have access to, it does not appear that there's been any heavy or intense days of cancellations - they appear to be scattered and isolated.

Concerning the example you portrayed of the snowboarding channel, I've thought about the math of all numbers involved, and how they are all moving together - installs, uninstalls, subscriber payments collected, net cancellations, credits, etc. There also seems to be about a 2 month (even 2 1/2 month) delay in being paid as the channel developer on subscriber payments collected

I especially relate to the example you provided regarding the seasonality of the snowboarding channel - my channel is a golf media app, and coincidentally, when the recent Masters Tournament was running on national TV back in April, my installs surged. And again, earlier this month of June, during the U.S. Open, a spike of installs. 

Thanks again - I appreciate your professional feedback - Out of curiosity, I searched 37mediagroup - are you the 37mediagroup located in Philadelphia?

Have a great weekend
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

"usaprotour" wrote:

Thanks again - I appreciate your professional feedback - Out of curiosity, I searched 37mediagroup - are you the 37mediagroup located in Philadelphia?

Yes.
0 Kudos