Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dikum
Visitor

LiveFeed URL Not Working

Hi,
I can't seem to get my Roku channel working properly. It keeps returning this error "Required Video URL is Unreachable". This URL plays properly when pasted in a browser. It's a URL to a livefeed in Vimeo.
Please help, I seem stuck.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: LiveFeed URL Not Working

Are you grabbing the correct URL?

It's not just the vimeo.com/video/3123464789  or whatever. You'll need to click on Settings > Distribution > Video File Links and grab the HTTP Live Streaming link. I've never done Vimeo Live tho, but just making sure your on that track, I belive it should have a .m3u8 in it.
0 Kudos
outinthebg
Visitor

I have been waiting for my new json URL feed to be ingested for over 24 hours. Never had to wait this long. 
0 Kudos
jwhite
Visitor

Hey all. I'm having the exact same problem with the exact same error message. The only thing blocking me from publishing my channel is my Feed status.

What is the fix here?
0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

Don't know if this will apply to you or not, but will share why this happened to us and how we fixed it.

We have a live stream using Wowza. When we first set up our direct publisher channel, Roku would constantly say it was unreachable. For us, the reason was because it was calling for a live stream, but that URL wasn't streaming constantly. So, when Roku went to find it during a day we weren't streaming, it would think the link was broken.

So, what we've had to do is set up a constant stream (a looping video that says when our live stream happens) and then, when it's time to actually go live, our feed breaks into that live loop. When our live stream is over, it goes back to the looping video.

Once we did this, the unreachable video error went away. It seems that direct publisher requires that the HLS links point to something that is constantly playing.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. This was our experience. And still today, if we turn off that constantly looping video when our live stream is not on, the roku feed says our HLS is unreachable and removes it from the channel until the next ping.
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

I haven't worked with Vimeo Live in a few months, but last I checked it was impossible to use any other player as it didn't offer the HLS links.  They probably require you to go with Vimeo OTT in order to use it.
Use Wordpress to power your Roku Direct Publisher (& other platforms) -> https://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
dikum
Visitor

I got to use Livestream.com. I got the the URL for the livestream by using this link

/viewing_info
The error is gone and the channel has been successfully published.
Thanks guys!
0 Kudos
Deb8

0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

Vimeo's Live Stream package doesn't support an HLS feed *while the feed is live*.  To get that, you must have access to their API which is part of their Enterprise offering.

0 Kudos
JohnLocke1
Channel Surfer

Can you give a complete json example of the liveFeed code?

0 Kudos