Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HBHS
Visitor

Direct publisher ads

I am new and very green to Roku. We created an educational childcare series channel and we would like to monetize with ads. The channel is published and availlable in the channel store, but is not currently monetized. Being a layman, it's difficult to understand the tech stuff. What are the steps to get it monetized through ads through Roku? Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Direct publisher ads

The Roku blog contains a post detailing how to monetize your channel.  You should, however, consider a third party ad server instead.  Search this forum and you'll find lots of posts about problems with Roku monetization and available third party ad servers.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
donp88
Channel Surfer

My advice from 5 years of running channels is that I would skip trying to monetize with ads, it is a big hassle, takes forever to get paid and you don't make nothing unless you have a ton of viewers daily.  A couple of ads here and there that don't make you anything is just going to annoy your viewers and run them off.

Honestly, I would recommend you try instead to find a sponsor or something similar.  You'll make more money faster that way.

If you want still want to go with ads, do as Baradanikto recommended and find a reliable third party ad server.  There was at least one in the forums here offering services.

Best of luck!
0 Kudos
biztale
Streaming Star

As one going for Roku payout for ad rolls, I will be taking "Scrambled Bliss" https://channelstore.roku.com/details/560051/scrambled-bliss to https://developer.roku.com/developer/billing there is an email you can reach out to find your options. I upload at least 1 or 2 videos a day.

Good luck to you.
0 Kudos

HBHS, were you able to find a way to monetize your channel?  We are in the same boat and looking for how to do it.  We have all the content, just not the technical knowledge of how to do it.

0 Kudos
biztale
Streaming Star

I hosted my .json and submitted for ingestion by Direct Publisher, so I await the holiday transition like everyone else. Ads don't start to play until you hit near 4,000 subscribers or further otherwise it's just a video channel with your content.  I have NOT received a payout from Roku for ads as of yet, I used to charge for the channel when I uploaded the .pkg so that was only .99 for each purchase that took a few months to see. I had a run in with a developer this morning after I posted a lengthy process how to upload the json and to obtain a free video host. So I won't be posting that again, instead I will just post one link to my homepage that has the steps on my Github or personal website.  At the moment I am an early stage of updating to a newer version of Concrete 5, so my host is very busy at the moment.

0 Kudos