Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuChrisT
Visitor

Direct Publisher Channel Showcase

Share your favorite Direct Publisher Channels or show off your own work!

To get started building a new channel - head over to https://api.myjson.com/bins/4tu28

Here's a few recently launched channels:

Rolling Stonechannelstore.roku.com/details/114532/rolling-stone

Rolling Stone available digitally on Roku – with breaking music news, hot album and movie reviews you love in the magazine. 

Mashablechannelstore.roku.com/details/98208/mashable

Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture and entertainment content for its dedicated and influential audience around the globe. New videos are posted daily, and visit Mashable.com for more!

FailArmychannelstore.roku.com/details/107922/failarmy

FailArmy is the world's number one source for fail compilations and hilarious videos. Powered by submissions from the awesome people, priceless reactions, and feedback from the FailArmy Nation, FailArmy delivers the best fails from around the world, every single day.

Baeble Musicchannelstore.roku.com/details/2427/baeble-music

A vast library of original video content includes Artist Interviews, where you receive an exclusive look inside the music world as bands and artists share their personal tales of touring, writing, and performing. In addition, Baeble music acts as your home for viewing the most interesting and popular indie and alternative music videos hitting the web. 

Great Big Story channelstore.roku.com/details/96395/great-big-story

A video network dedicated to the untold, the overlooked and the flat-out amazing.

Passion River Filmschannelstore.roku.com/details/113421/passion-river

Free movies that engage and impact communities.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Direct Publisher Channel Showcase

I just converted my channel from my SDK to Direct Publisher

Yesterfear - Free Chills, Thrills & Fun
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/114973/yesterfear

0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

great thread.

attilascreative - i'm having a hard time with understanding this new JSON feed setup. i'm an old-school guy who has a Roku channel that's like 5 years old.

i've been working and reading all day, trying to get a simple Direct Publishing channel set up, but it's just not working.

would you be willing to send me an example of your JSON code? i, of course, don't need to see any sensitive information. i'm just having a terrible time understanding.
0 Kudos
fyb3roptik
Streaming Star

Here is one of mine! I will be converting another to Direct Publisher Feed!

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/1 ... se-network

0 Kudos

I am having a really difficult time trying to publish a public channel, more directly with acquiring a proper feed url, this is my only stumbling block at the moment. I've tried to do it through youtube because we already have all of our media posted there. Is that even possible with youtube, or do I need a more specific cloud software.

Any tips would help greatly. I have little to no coding experience.

@fyb3roptik

@atillascreative
0 Kudos
islanddreamer
Channel Surfer

Here's the first Direct Publisher channel I created, mostly as an experiment to test the platform. Videos are hosted on Vimeo and RSS feed is edited manually and hosted on Dropbox. The process is too cumbersome for a dynamic channel and the platform itself is very limiting. But it works!

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/1 ... ist.com-tv
0 Kudos
fayaslebriz
Visitor

I've been trying to publish my work through the direct publisher but can't figure out what really need to be done when its come to content feed; how to get the URL ??? i'm very stressed been working on it for about a month now. Is any there any help please. please see below the return msg i'm getting every time i click the save button:
The feed URL(s) could not be validated.
  • English: The server returned an unsupported content type. Was expecting 'application/rss+xml', 'text/xml', 'application/xml' or 'application/json' but received 'text/html; charset=utf-8'.
  • 0 Kudos
    belltown
    Roku Guru

"fayaslebriz" wrote:
    I've been trying to publish my work through the direct publisher but can't figure out what really need to be done when its come to content feed; how to get the URL ??? i'm very stressed been working on it for about a month now. Is any there any help please. please see below the return msg i'm getting every time i click the save button:
    The feed URL(s) could not be validated.
  • English: The server returned an unsupported content type. Was expecting 'application/rss+xml', 'text/xml', 'application/xml' or 'application/json' but received 'text/html; charset=utf-8'.

• What Content-Type does your server return for the url you're using?
  • 0 Kudos
    fayaslebriz
    Visitor

belltown, do you mean the feed format? I wasn't too sure about that so I tried all of them and still got the same msg. i used json schema validator; downloaded the sample channel assets images zip copied it and pasted it into the json validator but to be honest i don't think from there i understood what i was doing. do i need a to own a website to save my files?? I think i'm missing a real method from the validator. it would be greatly appreciated if you could help. Thanks
    0 Kudos
    Tolly
    Channel Surfer

We just launched our channel, HBCU Gameday, this week. https://channelstore.roku.com/details/152272/hbcu-gameday I learned a lot during this process and I can tell you creating a Roku channel is 20 times easier than creating an Amazon channel. In my opinion. 
    0 Kudos