Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Question: Building 'Beta' channel vs. 'Live' channel

I just got the notice that all channels must be converted to use Direct Publisher. I was in the process of creating a channel with the “old” SDK. It was my understanding that the recommended “old” way to publish was to first create a private channel for beta testing, then, a public channel afterwards. 

• Does this still hold true for Direct Publisher channels?

• Is it simply a matter of providing two different names for the channel: one used during testing, and, the other when it's live? 

• If so, can I remove the "Beta" channel afterwards.

• Is there a documented procedure to follow?  

• Are there any restrictions to be aware of?

• Are there any other noticeable changes between the "old" way of publishing a channel, and, the "new" way?

Please help clear up some of the confusion.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
islanddreamer
Channel Surfer

Re: Question: Building 'Beta' channel vs. 'Live' channel

+1!

This topic really needs more clarification.
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

The publishing process is much easier with Direct Publisher. Essentially, you create a "private" channel as you go through the channel creation process — the preview link provided to you at the end of the process is essentially a functioning private channel. Once you submit the channel for certification and it is published, it will then be a public channel.

There is no separate process for creating private channels using Direct Publisher. All unpublished DP channels are private, and all published ones are public.

There's no need to create a "beta" channel and a public one, but some people have found it useful, as it allows you to view how changes in your content feed will affect your channel in realtime. The changes take a few hours to be reflected in a published channel, but they can be seen immediately in an unpublished channel.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Hi RokuTomC,

Thanks for the info.  That clears up some issues.  However, I've got a question regarding the usage of RAF with Direct Publisher.  Using the SDK, I was able to dictate when and how many ads were shown.  I typically used the length of the video to determine how many ads to show.  It does not appear that the same control is possible using Direct Publisher.  Is that true?  If so, what, if any, control does Direct Publisher allow when including ads from RAF?

Lastly, if using Direct Publisher eliminates any coding, does that imply that channel crashes are primarily the responsibility of Roku assuming that the feed is valid and correct?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Baradanikto" wrote:
I've got a question regarding the usage of RAF with Direct Publisher.  Using the SDK, I was able to dictate when and how many ads were shown.  I typically used the length of the video to determine how many ads to show.  It does not appear that the same control is possible using Direct Publisher.  Is that true?  If so, what, if any, control does Direct Publisher allow when including ads from RAF?

From what i read here you can specify in adBreaks multiple ad breaks and apparently only 1 ad pod would be played in each.

Lastly, if using Direct Publisher eliminates any coding, does that imply that channel crashes are primarily the responsibility of Roku assuming that the feed is valid and correct?

Crashes, what crashes? Roku never crashes! Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

"Baradanikto" wrote:
Thanks for the info.  That clears up some issues.  However, I've got a question regarding the usage of RAF with Direct Publisher.  Using the SDK, I was able to dictate when and how many ads were shown.  I typically used the length of the video to determine how many ads to show.  It does not appear that the same control is possible using Direct Publisher.  Is that true?  If so, what, if any, control does Direct Publisher allow when including ads from RAF?

EnTerr's comment regarding the adBreak field is correct. This field is how you can set midroll ads on your content.
You are correct in your assumption that Roku is responsible for monitoring channel crashes and ensuring channel uptime.
0 Kudos