Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dgburns

Re: Works for me...

Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:14 am

takmad wrote:
it makes we wonder what Rokulabs could have done with this device. Argghh...

You mean, something like PAY Endless for all the works he's put into their device? Or perhaps LICENSE Endless the source code so he might fix some of the glaring firmware issues/deficiencies? Nah...they obviously have no care for this product any longer.

Sad too, since without Endless' apps the device would be essentially a doorstop for many if not most avid PhotoBridge users.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

na9d

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:25 am

I agree with dgburns completely! MPLAY is one of the applications that has made me decide to keep my Photobridge. There are other apps like WeatherSix and LiveSpy that are really cool additions as well, but the apps by The Endless are really the cream of the crop.

It would hurt Roku NOTHING to put the firmware source code into the public domain and allow the end users to continue to refine and develop it. What it would do is create a ton of loyal users who would readily purchase the next Roku gadget. I can understand them not wanting to manufacture or support the device. But when you make something hackable like the PB is, then when they no longer want to support it, they should allow the open source community to take over EVERYTHING.

r111

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:37 pm

Has Roku ever flat our refused to release the source code? I recall they said (a long time ago) that some of the limitations were in the Xillion library they get from ATI. They may have licensing issues making that library available (without being linked into RokuOS) and I'm sure the source for that library is not something they would let out in the wild. It would be nice if Roku would let us know if any release of source code to the HD/PB Roku OS is possible.

RCPerkinsJr

Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:00 pm

Seems I am getting a error when I am telnet'ed into the Roku for the RokuWeb directory. All is mounted fine but it seems that I have only read access to the file system. I am connected to a Windows share on a 2003 server - the share and the folder both have everyone full control for share permissions and ntfs permissions.

What am I missing?

-rp-
-rp-

New to Roku's :)

barrygordon

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:35 am

Endless

I was having a bit of a problem. Damm case sensitivity!!!!
Last edited by barrygordon on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:51 am

barrygordon wrote:
Endless

I am having a bit of a problem. I followed your instructions to install the application. If I browse straight into port 81 on my Roku I get a page that shows "Roku is.... with a bunch of names which I think was the roku development team. When I browse to the RokuWeb shared folder as per your instructions I get page not found. I think this is probably because I enabled the fnord server a while ago on port 81.

Under /mnt/home I do see the html directory and it does contain a link to RokuWeb. The share that the Rokuweb folder is on is the same share that Mplay is on so I know that is okay.

This is what my inittab in etc looks like:

::respawn:/bin/login -p
::respawn:/cascade
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/screenmon
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/readable-mounts
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/irremote
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/fpbuttons
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/cascade_upnpd
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/mpegd
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/taskview
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -DHPRl 0 -u 0 -g 0 0 telnet /usr/sbin/in.telnetd -h
::respawn:/sbin/agetty -n -l /usr/local/bin/suguest 9600 tts/1
::respawn:/bin/ntpd -g -n
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -DRHPl 0 -u 0 -g 0 0 81 /usr/local/fnord/fnordy

The folder /mnt/flash0/home/html contains a link to RokuWeb
The folder /usr/local/fnord/defult contains a link to home among other things. It also contains an index.html file which is the roku page mentioned above. I assume the link to home in this file links to the /mnt/flash0/home directory but I do not know how to tell

Thoughts?

The "Roku is..." page is a good sign. That means fnord is running properly. To be clear, though, are you browsing to http://photobridgeip:81/home/RokuWeb/index.html (note the "home" in the url)?

Also, if you telnet into the Roku, what is the result of issuing the following command?
ls -l /home/html/RokuWeb

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

barrygordon

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:59 am

Resolved. Damm Linux case sensitivity. The only slight issue now is that at the screen res I generally use on my PC (1152x864) The imagry exceeds the browser real estate and H scroll bars show up. I guess I have to increase the screen resolution to get more real estate.

barrygordon

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:09 am

Okay I changed the screen to 1280x960 and all is well.

My main use of the Photobridge is now SlimRoku; Thanks

With this web browser capability perhaps there is even a way to overlay the slim roku screen(s) with hot spots and eliminate the remote entirely. Each hot spot would take either a click or a double click. Single clicks would do "navigation", that is make it as if you navigated to this spot, and double clicks execution (same as enter on remote). Right clicks could do exit or other context items. Then it would look like a plain old MS app in the browser window. Probably too much work to be worth the effort, just a thought

tjdebon

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:45 pm

OK, I need a little help too. I can only open the Roku developer page with my browser.
ls -l /home/html/RokuWeb
sends back
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Dec  4 20:55 /home/html/RokuWeb -> /mnt/smb/kitchen/my
which tells me I mis typed the link the first time and my repeated attempts have ben fruitless. How do I erase a symbolic link and redo it?

UPDATE: I finally figured it out. I needed to add the "force flag" [-f] to the create symbolic link command in TheEndless' install instructions. That forced an overwrite and allowed my to correct my mistake. The
ln -s -f /mnt/smb/<servername>/<sharename>/RokuWeb /home/html/RokuWeb
Last edited by tjdebon on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgburns

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:49 pm

tjdebon wrote:
How do I erase a symbolic link and redo it?

ln [TARGET] [LINK_NAME]

or

ln -s [TARGET] [LINK_NAME]
if you want a sym link instead of a hard link.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

RCPerkinsJr

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:26 am

How do you over come the "read only" directory error I am getting?

I dont see in the "install instructions" how you are setting permissions to the network share to allow the ability to write.

I am using Windows 2003 server to serve up my share - I do see the Roku web page with a nice "red" X where the picture should be.

Any help would be great.

-rp-
-rp-

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:19 am

RCPerkinsJr wrote:
How do you over come the "read only" directory error I am getting?

I dont see in the "install instructions" how you are setting permissions to the network share to allow the ability to write.

I am using Windows 2003 server to serve up my share - I do see the Roku web page with a nice "red" X where the picture should be.

Any help would be great.

-rp-

I'm also using Windows 2003. I've created a "roku" user on the server that has "Full Control" access to the share hosting my apps. I then specified that user when mapping the share on the Roku.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

RCPerkinsJr

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:29 pm

Same thing I have done, but the samba connection you are making through the Logical link doesnt provide any credentials, I am getting an error saying, read only to that share from the Web application.
-rp-

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:39 pm

RCPerkinsJr wrote:
Same thing I have done, but the samba connection you are making through the Logical link doesnt provide any credentials, I am getting an error saying, read only to that share from the Web application.

When you supply the credentials via the Roku UI to map the share, it mounts with those credentials. Are you sure you've given the user both read and write access to the share both in the share permissions and the folder permissions?

TheEndless

RCPerkinsJr

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:39 am

Given the acocunt (server\roku) full control on the share (\\server\roku\apps) and have connected to the share in the Roku UI to run applications (MPlay, HexRadio, etc) and it also is my share for my videos, etc.

I am stumped :)
-rp-