Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sven
Topic Author

NEW: SDesk 0.17...

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:26 pm

Mainly just fixing playing of directories and slide shows. New download location:

http://www.ignoranceisbliss.com/tikiwik ... alleryId=4

Thanks,
Sven

dj7675

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:57 am

Sven,

Thanks for the update. I will give it a try.... One feature I am hoping it is possible to implement is the folder.cfg option of Mplay. With it I can set the zoom for an entire folder of SD shows. It is a very nice feature of Mplay 3.7. Is it possible for SDesk to use use it as well? See link to Mplay thread regarding the folder.cfg feature.

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... 98&start=0

Thanks again.

Darin

sven
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:00 pm

SDesk is just calling out to a script to play the video (apps/playmovie for single playing and apps/playvideoqueue). That script will call mplay. I briefly looked at the new DefaultZoom option, and as far as I can tell, that is only used as a default value when browsing via the mplay interface. I didn't see an explicit command line flag to set that.

My suggestion would be to add some code the the video start script in sdesk to produce a default .mplay file. Here is some sample code... I don't know what the correct option names and values are (I couldn't find any docs on MPlay that contained a list of .mplay options of folder.cgf options), but something along this line might work.

# Create a .mplay file if none exists...
DIRNAME=`dirname "$2"`
FILENAME=`basename "$2" .mpg`
MPLAYNAME="$DIRNAME/$FILENAME.mplay"
if [ -f $MPLAYNAME ]; then
    echo dontcreate >> /tmp/playmovie.log
else
    echo create >> /tmp/playmovie.log
    echo "DefaultZoom=3" > $MPLAYNAME
fi

I probably won't have time to look into this, as I am winding down my work on SDesk.

Thanks,
Sven

dj7675

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks for your reply. I would like to try this, but need a bit more help. So do I need to substitue any of my info into the code, or use it as is? The folder that has all of the 4x3 shows in is 4X3. Just wasn't sure if I needed to do anything else to the code below or use it as is....

Thanks again.

Darin

sven
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:23 am

You may want to check what the actual setting in the .mplay file should be. I was unable to find any documentation on the format/content of that file, so I was just guessing as to what to put into the .mplay file. The basic mechanism to generate a .mplay file should work though...

If you have a dedicated directory for this special format, you may want to make the creation of the .mplay file conditional on being in that location.

Add something like this to the playmovie script:

# Create a .mplay file if none exists...
DIRNAME=`dirname "$2"`
DIRTAIL=`basename $DIRNAME`
FILENAME=`basename "$2" .mpg`
MPLAYNAME="$DIRNAME/$FILENAME.mplay"
if [ "$DIRTAIL" -eq "4x3" ]; then
# We are in the special 4x3 directory
if [ -f "$MPLAYNAME" ]; then
# We already have a .mplay file
echo dontcreate >> /tmp/playmovie.log
else
# We don't have a .mplay file
echo create >> /tmp/playmovie.log
# Adjust this to whatever needs to be created in .mplay
fi
fi

dj7675

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:03 pm

Sven,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I will give it a try to see how it works. Sorry to hear that SDesk is winding down on development, but quite understandable give then age of the roku pb and where sdesk is currently at. Are you planning on moving to another media player or is SDesk just at a point where it does everything needed?

Thanks again.

Darin

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:00 pm

sven wrote:

For the .mplay file, it would be "z 3". Do note, however, that the .mplay file is written and overwritten by MPlay and has sections specific to each PhotoBridge that plays the file. You would also need to write the .mplay signature string at the top of the file in order for MPlay to recognize it as a valid .mplay file.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

hondo

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:03 am

Sven - Thanks for all of your work on this app. I use it exclusivly now.

I have done a considerable amount of work with the "Themes" portion to tweak the look and feel to my personl taste. I now have everything looking to my personal taste with one exception.

I need your help in the remaining area. Across the bottom of the screen is some text that basically says "Press play to access applications" or something to that effect. I personally do not like that and would like to remove it, but I find no way to delete or not display that text.

Am I missing this somewhere or is it hard coded within the app ? If it is within the app can you change something that would allow me to turn it off. I am not a programmer and my talents lie more in the graphics area.

Can you provide some help - I understand you are limiting your time on further development due to the discontinuation of the Roku product. So I guessits now or never.

Thanks