Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dj7675
Topic Author

Spining down disks, any problem?

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:18 pm

I have an infrant readynas and an nv. They have options to spin down the discs after x minutes of inactivity. I would like to use the feature so the disks are running 24/7. Will the roku keep attempting to access audio/video long enough so the disks have time to spin back up?
I set one up to spin down, opened up Sonica and it wouldn't play...I exited, opened Sonica back up and it worked fine. Wondering if spinning the disks down is a problem.....

Anyone else try to do this?

Darin

S80_UK

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:51 pm

I don't have the Infrant ReadyNAS - but I have an NSLU2 running Firefly with a WD drive which spins down after several minutes of inactivity. The Roku behaves perfectly with this. If I want to resume play after a long pause, it just takes a few extra seconds. If I take the Roku out of standby, again, just a few seconds. In all cases, I don't see any strange messages, it just waits, and then works. I don't see that your set up should be much different. Roku is wireless BTW, if that is relevant.

dj7675
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks for your reply. I tried it again a bit later and it did as you describe....just needed to wait a bit longer than I am used to.

Thanks again.

Darin