Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dtaubert
Topic Author

HexRadio v0.6 for 2.0.34: Internet radio tuner

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:01 pm

I made rumblings a while ago about using vlc on the HD1000 to play back Internet radio streams. I'm pleased to announce an Internet radio tuner that displays station lists from a number of directory servers and launches vlc for playback (see vlc under http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/thirdparty.php).

HexRadio v0.1 and a copy of the vlc binary may be downloaded from:
EDITED: The most recent version ( v0.6 for 2.0.34 ) was announced here http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=23506#23506

This application requires the HD1000 v2.0.9 software.

Note that this runs everything on the HD1000, so you don't need any PC on the side. It has been tested with both MP3/Shoutcast and Ogg Vorbis streams, although the Ogg Vorbis streams seem to consistently play at a reduced volume.

Enjoy! Comments/suggestions welcome.

Derek
Last edited by dtaubert on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MoJo

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:14 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question but... Your readme does not contain installation instructions. Do I need all 4 files (.app, .roku, .png and vlc)?

I wasn't sure if vlc was a source file of some sort. Gonna go try it now though. Thanks!

Steve

MoJo

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:13 pm

Holy crap it works! I just copied the files to the same share as Mplay and it just poped right on the screen. Didn't even reboot the Roku. I browsed through a few selections and they started playing right away.

My only comment would be, boy, that's an awful lot of tiny text to try and read! I can see where you might have some space issues but I wonder if you could get a line break between each listing? I wouldn't mind having to scroll a little more if it meant being able to distinguish one line from the next.

That said, excellent work! This is going to be great!

Steve

jsjames

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:31 pm

thanks!!!

It worked for me after a reboot.

I like the size of the text :)

How do you add stations? I want Radio Margaritaville.
Thanks,

Jeff
M1000

VBGeek2000

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:28 pm

Nice work Derek!

One question: Is this the same VLC as I use to convert MPEG to TS? If so, could this make it possible to stream WMA to the Roku from a local drive?

OK, 2 questions. If the above is possible, could the same program be used to stream unsupported video such as WMV-HD?

As far as the text, it is a little bit small but it looks fine on my TV. Perfectly readable. Maybe version 2 can have a search screen like the current screen and a "Now Playing" screen that shows everything in a bigger font and updates periodically to show what is playing.

Thanks again for the awesome program!
Tim

MoJo

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:32 pm

Just to clarify, IMO the text for the songs/stations is perfectly readable and looks great. I was just requesting that a little more space be left between each song/station line as they get a bit jumbled together. A now playing line would be awesome.

I've been listening to a 160 stream for two hours now non stop. This is such a HUGE bonus to have on the P Bridge! Woohoo!

Steve

dtaubert
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:54 pm

jsjames wrote:
thanks!!!
How do you add stations? I want Radio Margaritaville.

Hehe. Parrotheads are everywhere...

I'll add the ability to parse an xml formatted file. You'll be able to stick http://radmarg.sc.llnwd.net:12105/listen.pls in the file with an editor, and then you'll be able to play it from the station list.

Will probably do something similar to save "favorite" stations.

Derek

dtaubert
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:08 am

VBGeek2000 wrote:
Nice work Derek!

One question: Is this the same VLC as I use to convert MPEG to TS? If so, could this make it possible to stream WMA to the Roku from a local drive?

Yes, but compiled with pretty-much-audio-only support (try ./vlc -l from a shell). From what I've seen of the recent vlc sources, it should just be a matter of recompiling it with the right supporting modules.

VBGeek2000 wrote:
OK, 2 questions. If the above is possible, could the same program be used to stream unsupported video such as WMV-HD?

I'd have to say no to WMV-HD, as the MIPS on the HD1000 just doesn't have enough power to handle such a stream. However, I do believe that the low bandwidth stuff that you'll see on steamcast could indeed be supported.

VBGeek2000 wrote:
As far as the text, it is a little bit small but it looks fine on my TV. Perfectly readable. Maybe version 2 can have a search screen like the current screen and a "Now Playing" screen that shows everything in a bigger font and updates periodically to show what is playing.

I'm not a big fan of keying in text from a remote, but I'll give the search screen some thought.

I had plans for a "Now Playing" display, but the song updates from the directory servers are generally too old to be really useful. Some of the stream servers support real-time info, so I'm looking into that...

Derek

VBGeek2000

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:20 am

dtaubert wrote:
VBGeek2000 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of keying in text from a remote, but I'll give the search screen some thought.

I had plans for a "Now Playing" display, but the song updates from the directory servers are generally too old to be really useful. Some of the stream servers support real-time info, so I'm looking into that...

Derek

I think I might have confused you a bit. The search screen I was talking about is the current screen where you select a stream. Maybe I should have called it the stream selection screen. I think that screen is fine for finding the streams. The Now Playing screen would just show the selected stream in bigger fonts and less stuff on the screen and also be less stuff on screen to update.

I also think the Now Playing screen could be optional. Maybe pressing select or info would display this screen and maybe the menu button to return to the stream selection form.

Favorites would be a very cool addition.

Thanks again,
Tim

dtaubert
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:21 am

MoJo wrote:
Just to clarify, IMO the text for the songs/stations is perfectly readable and looks great. I was just requesting that a little more space be left between each song/station line as they get a bit jumbled together. A now playing line would be awesome.

It's version 0.x primarily because of the complete lack of any visual aesthetics (no bitmaps: all text). That will get fixed before it goes to 1.0...

MoJo wrote:
I've been listening to a 160 stream for two hours now non stop. This is such a HUGE bonus to have on the P Bridge! Woohoo!

I've been listening to stargate radio classic rock and MOSTLY CLASSICAL. I generally leave them on all day long during the weekends. HexRadio really does add a lot to the product, IMO.

Derek

Gerald

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:03 am

Excellent work Derek!

buzolich

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:04 am

Awesome. Worked right out of the zip.

Echoing everyones request to space out the stations a bit. There will be a lot more space when the debug information is removed.

Thanks.

AmazinglySmooth

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:59 am

I wish Roku would add support for a WebTV IR keyboard. It would make lots of things much easier.

Cheers

Jowi

Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:40 am

Derek,

great APP. I love my PB more and more!!! :D It runs from a share without any problems. Is it possible to make it run from a cf card?

When i start it from CF Card it shows all stations and informations but when i select a station i hear nothing. No informations are shown in the debug screen.

Excellent work!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Joachim

jor

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:14 pm

Jowi wrote:
great APP. I love my PB more and more!!! :D It runs from a share without any problems. Is it possible to make it run from a cf card?

When i start it from CF Card it shows all stations and informations but when i select a station i hear nothing. No informations are shown in the debug screen.

It is running off my CF Card. Is your's mounted read/write?

Some stations don't seem to work - but many others an apparent error shows up on the top frame, but the audio comes in anyway.

I don't mind the tight spacing - it looks fine on my 55". Wish the song playing bit would update a bit faster. You really need to shop by station rather than by song.

Overall it's in pretty decent shape for a first trial release.