Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mjt5282
Topic Author

Extended life of HD1000 - what now ?

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:02 pm

I have gotten all my Roku HD1000's repaired so they'll last a few more years.

I only use them now to watch ripped DVDs. So, I am thinking about buying a HDHomeRun and installing MythTV on one of my PCs so I can watch recorded TV shows and or live TV through the Rokus.

Does the HDHomeRun really work with MythTV and can I use MythRoku to watch recorded HD programs using the HDHomeRun and MythTV ?

If I buy a new HDHomeRun, is the firmware compatible with TVPlay and/or MythRoku ? or will I have to downgrade it ?

Has anybody used the HDHomeRun with MythTV and can give me advice and or warnings about it ?
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

jm_maclaren

Re: Extended life of HD1000 - what now ?

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:26 pm

mjt5282 wrote:
I have gotten all my Roku HD1000's repaired so they'll last a few more years.

I only use them now to watch ripped DVDs. So, I am thinking about buying a HDHomeRun and installing MythTV on one of my PCs so I can watch recorded TV shows and or live TV through the Rokus.

Does the HDHomeRun really work with MythTV and can I use MythRoku to watch recorded HD programs using the HDHomeRun and MythTV ?

It works great with recorded HD programs from the hdhomeun, commercial skipping is in there too. I know as I coded it!
If I buy a new HDHomeRun, is the firmware compatible with TVPlay and/or MythRoku ? or will I have to downgrade it ?

Has anybody used the HDHomeRun with MythTV and can give me advice and or warnings about it ?

Yes I do, but it takes a while to get a live tv stream and changing channels is slow. I believe the svn version allows fast channel changing that helps. I don't really like my fix to getting it to work. Basically when you select livetv for the hdhomerun the backend first puts a dummy entry in the database once it is all set up the real one appears, so I test then sleep in a loop until the right entry is set up then get the filename to play.

I have found db access to my backend slow, e.g. pulling up the tv guide is slow, but getting pending progs - a backend call is fast. I think its as slow as mythweb so maybe I can't do anything about it.

tvplay is faster at accessing/changing channels on the homerun. I use it on 2.0.35 with no problems. I am also actively supporting mythroku. I have 3 rokus and all have had ps work two by me using the morex solution and one by pyramid audio thanks to Matt.

James