Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BJJohns
Topic Author

WeatherSix has been updated [06/28/08] V2.0.7

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:57 am

Version 2.0.7 - 06/28/08
    The radar images are now being retrieved correctly when new locations are added. This was broken after TWC made changes to their web site.

The app no longer crashes when deleting a location in the situation where you have more than 2 locations and you delete the last location in the list.

Note: If you currently are getting an error when trying to view the radar image for a location, delete the location and then re-add it to force an update to the radar image URL which is stored in the application settings file.

You can get this new release at http://mysite.verizon.net/hjohns1/download.htm

-BJ

ctdish

Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:35 am

I gave the new version a try. It seemed to require a reboot to get it to work properly. At 06355 I do not get the middle range map but the close in one covers the whole state, so that is sufficient. Another improvement I found was for a Carribean location which used to load a US map and now loads Central America and islands also a big improvement. Thanks a lot for the new version.
John

Burkhardi

Re: WeatherSix has been updated [06/28/08] V2.0.7

Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:08 pm

Works GREAT BJ!
Thanks for the quick build, much appricated.
Have a good one, Matt
Let me buy you lunch to say thanks (check your pay-pal) no steak and lobster, but perhaps Sonic or something))

BJJohns wrote:
Version 2.0.7 - 06/28/08
    The radar images are now being retrieved correctly when new locations are added. This was broken after TWC made changes to their web site.

The app no longer crashes when deleting a location in the situation where you have more than 2 locations and you delete the last location in the list.
Note: If you currently are getting an error when trying to view the radar image for a location, delete the location and then re-add it to force an update to the radar image URL which is stored in the application settings file.

You can get this new release at http://mysite.verizon.net/hjohns1/download.htm

-BJ
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

BJJohns
Topic Author

Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:06 am

ctdish wrote:
I gave the new version a try. It seemed to require a reboot to get it to work properly. At 06355 I do not get the middle range map but the close in one covers the whole state, so that is sufficient. Another improvement I found was for a Carribean location which used to load a US map and now loads Central America and islands also a big improvement. Thanks a lot for the new version.
John

Mystic, CT (06355)....Sounds like a cool place to visit!

The reason for the lack of a mid range image is because TWC doesn't have one centered on Hartford, CT. This situation occurs in a few places around the country.

What the code does is that is parses the HTML from http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/b ... /map/06355 to get the URL for the 300 mile radar image and when you want to see the 600 mile image it just replaces the '_ultraradar' string in the URL with '_closeradar' and then tries to retrieve it.....which in your case doesn't exist because the 600 mile image is centered on NYC instead of Hartford as the following URL's show...

300 mile radar image URL centered on Hartford, CT...
http://image.weather.com//web/radar/us_ ... s_usen.jpg

600 mile radar image URL centered on NYC...
http://image.weather.com//web/radar/us_ ... s_usen.jpg

But in taking a look at this issue, I see another way to get the correct URL but it would take a lot more code to parse the HTML for the radar image URL but I may have some time later this week to look into it.

Anyway thanks for the support from everyone!

-BJ

na9d

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Happy to see this. I don't get in here much any more and was bummed when the WX stopped working. Cool!
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players

dgburns

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:21 am

I have been away for a long time and hadn't noticed that my WeatherSix didn't work any more until just this morning. Glad there's a new version!!
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

RI_Pilot

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:53 pm

I still use the WeatherSix app regularly. A lot quicker than booting up my PC to do a quick weather check. Anyone else still using it?

Howard

Burkhardi

Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:12 am

RI_Pilot wrote:
I still use the WeatherSix app regularly. A lot quicker than booting up my PC to do a quick weather check. Anyone else still using it?

Howard

Yep, love it!
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jm_maclaren

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:36 am

me too! Very handy app.
James

BJJohns
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:37 am

I'm happy to see that it's still alive! :D

-BJ

jm_maclaren

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 am

... and I used some of the coding to add functionality to mythroku (hope you don't mind BJ!)

BJJohns
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:42 am

Don't mind at all!

-BJ

Burkhardi

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:35 am

Even more happier to see it is still supported! We use the heck out of it.
Thanks!

BJJohns wrote:
I'm happy to see that it's still alive! :D

-BJ

Burkhardi

WeatherSix has lost data again. Help us BJ!

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:02 am

BJ,
We are in a pickle again...

It happened about 6-weeks back, but I have been two busy to post.
Can you please hook us (the last of the die hard HD1000 users) up?

Same symptom as last time, no data. I am sure they cahnged their pointers again...

Best regards and thanks, Matt

BJJohns
Topic Author

Re: WeatherSix has been updated [06/28/08] V2.0.7

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Well.....Sorry to say this but due to The Weather Channel's policy change on their XML data, WeatherSix isn't going to work any more. I received the following letter from get this..."Director, Revenue Management & Optimization", and looked into what it would cost to gain access to their data again and from what I remember it would cost me about $500 per year to subscribe to their data feed....which used to be free.

Sorry Guys :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Registrant:

We are writing to you because our records indicate that you are a registered user of the weather.com® XML Data Feed (http://xoap.weather.com.)

As a valued subscriber, we want to let you know that our data feed service offerings are changing. Beginning the week of October 10th, 2011, we will be launching a new subscription service, The Weather Channel® API.

The Weather Channel® API is a subscription offering created by The Weather Channel specifically to provide developers with access to an easy to use weather data feed that they can use to power commercial applications across a variety of technology platforms.

Key Features include:
• access to the most comprehensive global forecast set available anywhere
• white label solution (no logo; no links)
• weather data provided by weather.com®
• data may be accessed in either XML or JSON format
• leverages a world class cloud-based Infrastructure
• product support for the world wide web, the mobile web, downloadable web / PC applications, and downloadable mobile phone / smart phone applications
• multi-language support for English, Spanish, French, German, & Portuguese

What this means to you:
In order to have access to an XML data feed from The Weather Channel, you will need to subscribe to The Weather Channel® API. This letter serves as formal notice to you that your access to the weather.com® XML Data Feed will terminate at midnight Eastern time on October 31, 2011. To evaluate The Weather Channel® API as an alternative to the weather.com® XML Data Feed, please go to http://portal.theweatherchannel.com.

If you have questions concerning this notice, you can call The Weather Channel at (770) 226-2329 or e-mail us at theweatherchannelapi@weather.com.

We look forward to continuing our relationship with you.

Best Regards,

Scott H. Zucker
Director, Revenue Management & Optimization
The Weather Channel, LLC
Phone: (770) 226-2329
Facsimile: (770) 226-2966
E-mail: theweatherchannelapi@weather.com
Web: http://portal.theweatherchannel.com