Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

hgordin
Topic Author

HELP - Total Newbie: How do you load 3rd party apps?

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:42 am

Please forgive this newbie quesiton, but how do you load an app that someone wrote? For example the Itune player.

Also, what are some of the better apps out there for playing music?

Thanks so much

HookedOnTV

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:31 am

Just put them on one of your shares.
- Travis

RokuPatrick

Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:09 am

Put the app on a card or share. Mount or insert the card or share. Browse to the mount or card in the main menu and the app should be found under "Applications"

hgordin
Topic Author

Thanks! Great Forum

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:02 pm

Yes - I figured it out (duh). I just need to refresh the shares.

Thanks for the replies

aerialsoul

3rd party apps not running

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:51 pm

I'm a new HD1000 owner and just getting things setup. My 3rd party apps aren't running.

I can see the shares on my Buffalo Linkstation fine. I created a share for 'RokuApps'. When I connect to the share, I see the apps I've unzipped to the share folder. When I select any of them using the Roku remote, I get the the "please wait" or "loading" msg, but then it just returns the main menu with the app selected. It's like the app never starts.

Am I missing something? The apps are HexRadio, WeatherSix, TunesPlayer, LiveSpy.

Do all of these need to have a swap file setup? Which I haven't yet setup.
shane

RokuPatrick

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:40 am

You're probably trying to run apps built for a version of the HD1000 software that isn't the one that your HD1000 is running. What version of software is on your HD1000. I'd check here or the homepages for the various apps and make sure that you've got the right versions for your HD1000.

aerialsoul

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:23 am

I did an upgrade on Saturday (3/26) with the most recent version - think it was 2.15 (or 2.0.15) and I thought I grabbed the most recent downloads of each app. It seemed weird that none of the 4 apps worked. I'll check each app's info to see if they specify a version of the PB software.
shane

blacksnake

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:41 pm

For the last firmware, few applications need patch files to make them compatible.
RadioHex: use the lastest version
Copy/Delete: there is a patch version for the last fw.
MPlayer: use the lastest
CinemaSix: need patch files.
Blacksnake

aerialsoul wrote:
I did an upgrade on Saturday (3/26) with the most recent version - think it was 2.15 (or 2.0.15) and I thought I grabbed the most recent downloads of each app. It seemed weird that none of the 4 apps worked. I'll check each app's info to see if they specify a version of the PB software.

aerialsoul

Figured out the problem

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:44 pm

In case anyone ends up searching this thread later, I wanted to post the solution to my problem.

I had an old version of LiveSpy. Once I tried to run this old version, none of the other apps would run at all. Just on a fluke, I rebooted the HD1000 box and selected an app other than LiveSpy and it worked. Then I cycled through the other apps. After trying LiveSpy, all others didn't work either. An upgrade to the most recent version of LiveSpy did the trick.
shane