Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Gregavi
Topic Author

SlimRoku finding wrong IP address

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi, I don't know if anyone is monitoring this forum but here goes anyway. I have three computers (IP addresses--Desktop--192.168.0.102; laptop --192.168.0.103; server—192.168.0.105) networked together and use SlimRoku 1.6b with my HD1000 RevB. When I open SlimRoku it displays in the lower left corner "SlimServer (v6.5.4) 192.168.0.102". The problem is, the server computer running slimserver where I have all my music has an IP address 192.168.0.105, so consequently there are no music files displayed in SlimRoku. At the time, I wasn’t even running Slimserver on my desktop that’s IP address is 192.168.0.102. I was playing around with some things and after a Roku reboot it then displayed 192.168.0.105 in SlimRoku and then all music files where displayed and all worked well. At next reboot, it was back to displaying 192.168.0.102 and again no music files. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Samsung HL-S5087W 50" 1080p DLP HDTV
Earthquake Cinenova Amp
Parasound 2500u Pre/Pro
Klipsch La Scala (main)
Earthquake IW 8 in-wall (Rear)
Earthquake Supernova MKV12 (Subwoofer)
Roku Photobridge HD1000 (Rev B)
Panasonic BD30 Blu Ray

Burkhardi

Re: SlimRoku finding wrong IP address

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:12 pm

Gregavi wrote:
Hi, I don't know if anyone is monitoring this forum but here goes anyway. I have three computers (IP addresses--Desktop--192.168.0.102; laptop --192.168.0.103; server—192.168.0.105) networked together and use SlimRoku 1.6b with my HD1000 RevB. When I open SlimRoku it displays in the lower left corner "SlimServer (v6.5.4) 192.168.0.102". The problem is, the server computer running slimserver where I have all my music has an IP address 192.168.0.105, so consequently there are no music files displayed in SlimRoku. At the time, I wasn’t even running Slimserver on my desktop that’s IP address is 192.168.0.102. I was playing around with some things and after a Roku reboot it then displayed 192.168.0.105 in SlimRoku and then all music files where displayed and all worked well. At next reboot, it was back to displaying 192.168.0.102 and again no music files. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Fist make sure the SlimServer you are launching is the one you are working with (i.e. Make sure that you are not woking on a .roku (exe) file in a different folder then the one you are lauching from).

Second, did you add a switch to the launch script that tells what the IP address of the server is?
Here is a normal slimroku.roku file
#!/bin/sh
#
# SlimRoku.app [SlimServerIP] [-options]
#
# If no IP address is specified, SlimRoku will attempt to locate the server.
#
SXPATH=`echo "$0" | sed 's/\/SlimRoku.roku$//'`
"$SXPATH/SlimRoku.app"

Here is one with the screen saver disabled
#!/bin/sh
#
#
#
"$SXPATH/SlimRoku.app" -Screensaver=0

here is one with the screen saver disabled and being told what IP the server is on.
#!/bin/sh
#
#
#
"$SXPATH/SlimRoku.app" 192.168.1.105 -Screensaver=0

See what you have, you may have the wrong IP address hard coded, if not, try to force it to the 105 one.

Try this filebuiler if you need to.
http://www.permanence.com/SlimRoku/RokuBuilder.asp
make sure you check the box on the left too (as well as fill in the IP address.

If you are going to manualy edit, use Note Pad and not Word Pad (or use VI on the photobridge if you are darning)

Let us know, hope this helps, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Gregavi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks Burkhardi,
Sorry, all of what you wrote is somewhat Greek to me. I'm not one to blindly edit script. I tried the filebuilder and it seemed to work, although it did slow everything down, including loading SlimRoku and accessing files.

Earthquake Cinenova Amp

Parasound 2500u Pre/Pro

Klipsch La Scala (main)

Panasonic BD30 Blu Ray

Gregavi
Topic Author

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:20 pm

How do I access the script in order to edit it?

Thanks

Earthquake Cinenova Amp

Parasound 2500u Pre/Pro

Klipsch La Scala (main)

Panasonic BD30 Blu Ray

Burkhardi

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:30 am

Gregavi wrote:
How do I access the script in order to edit it?

Thanks

You can either use the file builder to make a new one and then replace the one you were using, or you can use NotePad to edit it. I would probably use the file builder first since it's easier.

The file you want to edit/repalce is "SlimRoku.roku.
Locate your SlimRoku folder that the HD1000 accesses and in that main folder you should see the following...
    Favorites.xml
    ReadMe.txt
    SlimRoku.app
    SlimRoku.roku
    SlimRoku.roku.png
    XMRadio.xml
    and a folder named "images"

So then use the file builder here and then save the file to the same folder that you found the above files and select yes when it askes if you want to overright it.
http://www.permanence.com/SlimRoku/RokuBuilder.asp
As I said, make sure you check the box for the option you want too. If you just enter an IP address into the form and select downlaod, it will not enter it. you need to select the box for the option and also enter the IP address (does this make sence?).

Also make sure your not fighting a firewall issue. Try to disable your firewall and see if it works and/or check these ports to make sure they are open.
    3483 UDP - SlimServer discovery
    3483 TCP - SlimServer communication
    9000 TCP - Audio stream playback and cover art display
    9090 TCP - Music library access

If you use NotePad, Windows does not know what to do with a .roku file, so you need to rightclick on it and select "open with" and use NotePad".

Hope this helps, let us know, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Gregavi
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks. It did work for the IP address issue. I also, just for fun, changed to "Use Large Font" and did not see a difference in font size. I looked at the script and it shows "use large font". Here it is:
#!/bin/sh
#
#
"$SXPATH/SlimRoku.app" -UseLargeFont

??

Earthquake Cinenova Amp

Parasound 2500u Pre/Pro

Klipsch La Scala (main)

Panasonic BD30 Blu Ray

Burkhardi

Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:45 am

Gregavi wrote:
Thanks. It did work for the IP address issue. I also, just for fun, changed to "Use Large Font" and did not see a difference in font size. I looked at the script and it shows "use large font". Here it is:
#!/bin/sh
#
#
"$SXPATH/SlimRoku.app" -UseLargeFont

??

Are you sure you don't have two incidences/copies of SLimRoku on your host and that the one you are editing is not the one that the HD1000 is accessing? Do you have a CF card? If so, do a freash download from the SlimRoku site and unzip that to the CF card. Then put the CF card in the HD1000 and see what you get. If still no joy, then try to edit the file ont he CF card (via your PC) and then stick it back in the HD1000 and see what you get.

Good job ont he edit and know you have one more item to add to your resume'

Gregavi
Topic Author

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:46 pm

I'll try the CF thing.
I'm not getting too excited about editing the script since I simply used your excellent filebuiding tool. I'm capable of more, but, in this case you made it easy. Thanks

Earthquake Cinenova Amp

Parasound 2500u Pre/Pro

Klipsch La Scala (main)

Panasonic BD30 Blu Ray

Burkhardi

Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:38 am

Gregavi wrote:
I'll try the CF thing.
I'm not getting too excited about editing the script since I simply used your excellent filebuiding tool. I'm capable of more, but, in this case you made it easy. Thanks

THe script building tool should work just fine. I would love to take credit for the build tool, but that was the work of the awesome, yet missed The Endless who is the aurthor of SlimRoku.
Try the CF thing and and worse case I can build a file or edit one and send you a link to my virtual hard drive.
Let us know how the CF thing goes....
Good luck grasshopper!