Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

possible new application (rokutivo)

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:54 am

FWIW I have been toying with a new app. To stream video from my tivo (which is hacked) to my roku. It has been somewhat aggravating and it may never amount to much more than a pile of C++!!

My issue now is that on file I am testing the frame rate keeps changing from film to tv and back again every few secs (24000/1001 & 30000/1000) and it makes the roku's mpeg decoder pixilate in an ugy manner at those changes as far as I can tell (the jumps are in the ty files too). Mplayer in linux spits out warnings about the frame rate changes but seems to handle things. I haven;t figured a solution yet, perhaps I should post on dealdatabase where the smart tivo hackers hang out.

Anyone else interested in this?

James

Bgrubb1

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:12 am

would Love to see this ability. I have the same hardware setup
..Barry

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:58 am

I hope to have an alpha release this weekend, but it may be longer....

However, I have found I need to run the tivo mpg file through ffmpeg to correct bad timestamps. I have been unable to compile a working mipsel version. I like others get a segfault in av_memcopy. grrr.

So, to get it working smoothly one needs a linux box with an accessible share so that one can ssh to the linux box to run the ffmpeg command. I'll think about windows later as there is a ssh server for windows

On the plus side I don't believe you even need a hacked tivo since a Linux version of tivotogo with your mak key will get you the mpeg file.

If it is hacked and the ty stream isn't encrypted then you are still ok with these tools.

If anyone knows how to solve the ffmpeg issue let me know. Its a very fast conversion as both video and audio streams are copied just the stream timestamps are fixed so it should be possible to run it on the roku.

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

update

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:29 pm

I have a lot of the pieces working, ssh, curl, and made some progress with ffmpeg. If I fail with that it will have to run on a server. I hope to put the whole thing together asap.

jm_maclaren
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:19 pm

took longer than I thought. I have a rough version I want to clean up before posting. I have got alll binaries compiled for the roku now including ffmpeg.,