Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

linama
Topic Author

A better slide show program

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:59 am

Is there a better slide show program out there? The default one is really not that great. I like to see what Mac has, it does some kind of fading, enlarging, shrinking, makes it much more interesting.

alphagetti666

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:17 am

Transitions and music can be done, via an "entertainment pack". Forgive me if that's not what they're called! There is a mac package that allows you to create these, but I'm not aware of one for the PC.

linama
Topic Author

A better slide show program

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:21 am

Thanks for the reply. It seems too complicated for doing something this simple.

To create an Art pack, I assume I will have to type some scripts. There should just be a little program that will do it by scanning a directory.

RokuPatrick

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:50 am

If you just want to do a slideshow, without music, just throw some pictures on a card and insert the card, the PhotoBridge will automatically show the photos. If you want it to play music as well, you will have to write a script, or check out this program (http://www.epicware.com/hd1000/) for the Mac.

linama
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:59 am

I know Photobridge does that, it just does not do it nicely. I am asking for a better one that can display pictures in a more sophisticated way.

alphagetti666

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:45 am

Sounds like you want to be able to have transition effects without having to script it. Personally, I don't like that, as there are some transition effects that I find annoying. This would then mean there would have to be a way to select which effects I want to use and which I dont... this starts to make for a more complicated interface on the Roku... IMHO, not a good thing. So setting up the script on the PC doesn't seem too onerous to me. It would be a simple thing to whip up a program on the PC that would automatically create the script.

linama
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:52 am

IMHO this is the exact type of mentality that stops Roku/Linux from being a mass market product.

This is not just a toy for programmers. It needs to be easy to use. Whipping up scripts is not exactly something an average person can do. I know unix/linux well, but when I am using roku, if I am not in hacking mood, I'd rather sit in a couch and point my remote control than typing and compiling.

BTW, the remote control is close to be useless, never seen a remote control this bad.

alphagetti666

Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:43 am

I do agree that creating scripts is not something an average user can do. However, you assume that everone would want those "cool" transitions. I know I do not want them, so if they implemented this feature, I would want options to enable/disable the feature. Then the next step would be that some people would want some of the transitions (i.e. perhaps the fade effect, but not the slide effect), thus making the interface even more complicated. So I think a simple application that would be run on a directory (or directories) and it would create the script... this simple program could have the options needed... perhaps it could automatically scan "watched" folders as well...

That's why I lean against implementing them on the roku and providing tools to generate the script on the PC easily. We know that it's highly likely that the user has a computer, a digital camera, and knows how to run some programs. So it's reasonable to assume they could run a tool to generate the script. The only hole in this statement would be the memory slot on the Roku may be used by many users, and perhaps it's not networked... though I think this is a low likelyhood.

RE: Remote... Yep, many people have said that. I never use the Roku remote myself. I've programmed my other remote to handle everything, and I've had no problems at all.

turbodog

i agree with linama

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:28 pm

For such an expensive unit and one whose primary sales point is image
display, what is wrong with asking for something more than just an
extremely basic slideshow app? While we're at it, I'd also like to have the
ability to "build" my slideshow by selecting several folders to use in the
show. I know I can do a "by folder" select, but I'd like to be able to
select two or more without having to select all.

JaRs

Fri May 13, 2005 12:25 pm

Throughout this discussion there has been some assumption that a more complicated transition can just be "scripted"... Can anybody tell me how to "script" a more complicated transition???.... I hope writing C++ code is not what you consider "scripting"..... :!:

alphagetti666

Sun May 15, 2005 7:04 am

Hmmm... I took a quick look around and could not find the documentation. There is a text file that is used by Art Packs to allow a user to list the files to display, the ordering, the transitions, and music to play during the slide show. It is this "scripting" that I am refering to. No need for any more advanced programming languages! There is a 3rd party app for the Mac [Art Pack 1.1?] that allows users to create these files with a nicer interface. It is this type of application that I had always seem being implemented for the PC.

JaRs

Thu May 19, 2005 8:17 am

As far as I know the "art packs" just make use of the ecp photoApp command... and unless there is some undocumented features....the ecp photoApp command doesn't provide any options for transitions.... I would really like an easy way to crossfade at the very least

cshotton

Thu May 19, 2005 11:32 am

JaRs wrote:
As far as I know the "art packs" just make use of the ecp photoApp command... and unless there is some undocumented features....the ecp photoApp command doesn't provide any options for transitions.... I would really like an easy way to crossfade at the very least

Or just to get rid of the annoying black screen between pictures. I'd settle for an immediate flip to another picture, but the screen always goes black (like an old slide projector!) between images for a fraction of a second. Looks really bad on the 50" plasma....

Disgruntled

Sat May 21, 2005 7:20 am

I would like to add my two cents and say that I would also like to be able to use transitions. At a minimum, getting rid of the black between pics would be nice. I don't know diddly about scripting but, would be willing to give it a shot if I could be pointed in the right direction for help. Is there any documentation I could start with to help me learn how to script my own slideshows?

barrygordon

Sat May 21, 2005 2:03 pm

I played around with building slideshows on the PC nd have a rudimentary PC app that does all of the work. It allows for selection of the photos, selection of music, ordering of the photos, and builds all of the necessary Art Pack Data for the roku in a single folder that can be placed on a share.

It does not (I wish it did but could not figure out how the roku would do it):

1) Associate a transition (lets say from a pull down list) with a given picture (powerpoint style)

2) Associate the playing of a mpg file to start with a given picture (default to keep playing the existing file or move to next file as it does today)

If anyone knows if there is any documentation on how to do this for a "text" file that the roku reads to manage the slide show, I would really like to hear about it. Someone (Alphagetti666) seems to think there is.

What I know about Artpacks/Slideshows is as follows:

There is a file named Slideshowname.roku which is a script to start the photoapp and give it some parameters. One of the parameters is a descriptor file which is a text file that is used in lieu of the precanned descritor file if it is provided.

I would really like to know about transitions and what other capability is built into the Photoapp and the music player to synchronize music to pics if it exists. I would then clean up my PC app and release it for general use. The PC app is basically a point and click app for assembling a slide show from pictures and music located anywhere the PC can "see". It copies the necessary files and assembles all that the roku needs in a single directory. In essence it is really an ArtPack builder.