Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pg_rider

Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Success! FLAC files play perfectly. Three questions though:

1) The "Install" icon removed itself by renaming to ".backup", but the "ReplayGain" icons did not. I manually added ".backup" to them to make them disappear -- is this appropriate?

2) I want to edit the FLAC file tags but I can do it like I do with .mp3's (either by right clicking to Properties or via Windows Media Player). Is there a built-in way to do it or do I need to download a FLAC tag editor?

3) Is there a way to rip CDs to FLAC format with Windows?

S80_UK

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:32 am

pg_rider wrote:
2) I want to edit the FLAC file tags but I can do it like I do with .mp3's (either by right clicking to Properties or via Windows Media Player). Is there a built-in way to do it or do I need to download a FLAC tag editor?

For simple changes I use AudioShell ID3 tag editor, an extension for Window explorer, which allows easy viewing of tags and editing via the file properties page. It works with many file formats including FLAC. For editing large numbers of files there are better tag editors around - just google for tag utility FLAC - it should find quite a few.

pg_rider wrote:

Plenty of solutions. Everyone has their favourites. I use Exact Audio Copy in conjunction with AutoFLAC for tagging support and AccurateRIP to validate the ripping process as much as possible. My entire library of 600+ CDs is ripped in this way.

Cheers,

Les.

soiaf
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:17 am

pg_rider wrote:
Success! FLAC files play perfectly.

Good news! :)

pg_rider wrote:
1) The "Install" icon removed itself by renaming to ".backup", but the "ReplayGain" icons did not. I manually added ".backup" to them to make them disappear -- is this appropriate?

Thats fine. You don't need the ReplayGain apps/icons if you're not interested in using ReplayGain, so its perfectly fine to rename them.

pg_rider wrote:

FLAC uses a different tagging technology to MP3 (which uses a tagging method called ID3) - its uses a tagging method called 'Vorbis Comments'. Unfortunately as you've seen Windows doesn't have native support for Vorbis Comments, so you'll need some addon apps.
As Les (S80_UK) says above, there are extensions available for Windows explorer.
For mass tagging/modifications I personally use Mp3tag http://mp3tag.de/en/index.html but there are other solutions out there.
Its also possible to playback FLAC files on Windows Media Player, you'd need two things though.
- An extension to allow Windows Media Player to handle the FLAC tags http://wmptagext.sourceforge.net/
- A directshow filter to allow Windows Media Player to handle the FLAC files themselves, something like http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

Theres plenty of information available on the download page of the main FLAC homepage http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

pg_rider wrote:

I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) but I've also used dBpoweramp Music Converter http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

pg_rider

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. One final question -- do you know if any/all of the programs you mentioned work on Vista? Will try them tonight regardless but just curious if you know...

S80_UK

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:53 pm

Vista...? No, sorry, haven't a clue.

soiaf
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:22 pm

I know Mp3tag is meant to work on Vista ok, don't know about the rest of the apps (don't run Vista myself, sorry).

mjt5282

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:09 pm

thank you soiaf for making the new libFlac build available for us...95% of my music library is in FLAC 16-bit format.... i've tried the new build and it seems to work great!
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

martingk

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:08 am

Thank you very much for this!

I've just acquired a Roku Photobridge second hand, and was starting to work out what format I wanted to scrape my CD collection to - without losing any detail. Your plugin has just convinced me to go down the FLAC route. Installed easily, worked first time. With that, SlimRoku and a SlimServer installed on my main linux fileserver, I'm away!

Thanks again for your contribution.

soiaf
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:30 am

I've uploaded version 1.1 of the FLAC codec.

This version of the codec is based on libFLAC 1.2.0