Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

soiaf
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:46 am

Version 0.7b available (compiled for firmware 2.0.36)

* Modifed the install script (handles spaces in directory names better).

* Fixed a bug where it was crashing when trying to read the metadata from a corrupt FLAC file.

leenuxg33k

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:31 am

soiaf wrote:

* Fixed a bug where it was crashing when trying to read the metadata from a corrupt FLAC file.

Soiafa and Endless!! My hats are off to you both!! I'm loving SlimRoku so much now!!! Encoding all new music in flac. :-D

chackett

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:49 am

leenuxg33k wrote:
soiaf wrote:

Soiafa and Endless!! My hats are off to you both!! I'm loving SlimRoku so much now!!! Encoding all new music in flac. :-D

Hmmm...perhaps I need to get a linux server to run SlimServer on; is anyone else out there successfully transcoding to FLAC using SlimServer on a Mac?

leenuxg33k

does flac plugin support replaygain tags?

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering if the flac plugin for the roku supports the replay-gain comments?

For example:

comments: 10
comment[0]: TITLE=E-Pro
comment[1]: ARTIST=Beck
comment[2]: ALBUM=Guero
comment[3]: TRACKNUMBER=01
comment[4]: GENRE=Rock
comment[5]: DATE=2005
comment[6]: REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK=0.98867798
comment[7]: REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=-8.62 dB
comment[8]: REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK=0.99884033
comment[9]: REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN=-7.95 dB

SimonO

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:30 am

I've just started looking at ReplayGain, I'd be interested in FLAC support also...
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

soiaf
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:32 am

It doesn't currently support ReplayGain (mainly because I don't use ReplayGain myself :lol: )

However I think I should be able to add support for it ok. I'd have to think about the best way to implement it as I'd want its implementation to be optional i.e. even if the FLAC file has replaygain tags I want the user to have the choice to use them or not.

I'll have a look into this....

soiaf
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:29 pm

Ok, I've done more reading into this and I've tried some quick code. I wouldn't be able to use some of the code from the FLAC package (as it would make the codec too large/bulky in my opinion) and this will make it more difficult to implement, but it certainly looks like it could be done.
I was thinking of having a setting file (in the usual directory with the other settings files) that would allow ReplayGain to be activated (default would be deactivated).

Which type of replaygain would you like to see, track gain or album gain? Track gain seems to make more sense, but perhaps I could make this an option also?

leenuxg33k

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:51 pm

soiaf wrote:
Ok, I've done more reading into this and I've tried some quick code. I wouldn't be able to use some of the code from the FLAC package (as it would make the codec too large/bulky in my opinion) and this will make it more difficult to implement, but it certainly looks like it could be done.
I was thinking of having a setting file (in the usual directory with the other settings files) that would allow ReplayGain to be activated (default would be deactivated).

Which type of replaygain would you like to see, track gain or album gain? Track gain seems to make more sense, but perhaps I could make this an option also?

Good question.. I'm not even sure myself. This is how I'm streaming it to the soundbridge I have (wav file)

flc wav * *
$flac$ -dcs --apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless=a --force-raw-format --endian=little --sign=signed --skip=$START$ --until=$END$ $FILE$

I found this on the slimdevices forums. But I can't find anything anywhere that says what the =a is doing. not even the man page for flac!?

EDIT - Actually, I found it.. I've been using album gain. here is a link:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... 7293&st=11

SimonO

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:25 am

soiaf wrote:

An option would be ideal, but if I could only have one it would be album gain...

I really appreciate you looking into this...
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

soiaf
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Ok, I have good news and bad news...

The good news is I have basic replaygain working.
The bad news is that it really slows down the processing (lots of floating point calculations) so that it only runs at about 99% realtime - which is close, but not good enough (codecs should really run at least 2 x realtime)

But I hope to try and rewrite some of the maths code to make it faster so I'm hoping to have a new release with (some level of) ReplayGain support in the next couple of weeks.

leenuxg33k

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:50 pm

soiaf wrote:
Ok, I have good news and bad news...

The good news is I have basic replaygain working.
The bad news is that it really slows down the processing (lots of floating point calculations) so that it only runs at about 99% realtime - which is close, but not good enough (codecs should really run at least 2 x realtime)

But I hope to try and rewrite some of the maths code to make it faster so I'm hoping to have a new release with (some level of) ReplayGain support in the next couple of weeks.

Can the Roku HD1000 play a wav stream? Thats how I'm streaming to my Roku M500 and that works fine because I do the replaygain on the server before the wav is sent..

I guess I should just try it. :-D

soiaf
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:22 pm

leenuxg33k wrote:
Can the Roku HD1000 play a wav stream? Thats how I'm streaming to my Roku M500 and that works fine because I do the replaygain on the server before the wav is sent..

I guess I should just try it. :-D

I think I looked at this before, and it doesn't (or at least it didn't). However I think I remember looking at the WAV codec source code and seeing why it didn't (I think it was a pretty easy fix).

If it doesn't work, let me know, and I'll post a modified WAV codec that should work.

leenuxg33k

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:19 pm

soiaf
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:28 pm

leenuxg33k wrote:

No, thats a codec for WavPack. WavPack is a lossless codec, like FLAC. The name comes from the fact that it can pack the entire WAV file, FLAC only packs the audio data contained within a WAV file (which is obviously fine if you're just ripping from CD). WavPack is also open source, and has certain features over FLAC.

The WAV codec comes with the PhotoBridge, however I have the source code for it, so I could build a version if you want. You're able to play WAV files 'out of the box', but I don't think you can stream WAV files (say via SlimRoku).

soiaf
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:42 pm

I've uploaded V0.8 which includes basic ReplayGain support.

By default ReplayGain is disabled. The FLAC codec now can read settings from a configuration file
/etc/rokucascade/settings/soiaf.codecs.settings

Using this file you can enable/disable ReplayGain. You can also set it to use Track Gain instead of Album Gain (Album Gain is the default).
I've included a script, enableReplayGain.roku to create the necessary settings file.
Obviously Replaygain will only be activated when you activate it via the settings file and when the FLAC file you are playing has ReplayGain tags within it.

I've used a basic ReplayGain algorithm in this version, even this greatly increases the load on the PhotoBridge CPU. I'm also currently looking at a more complicated algorithm (with noise shaping/dithering), but the PhotoBridge doesn't seem able to run this in real-time. However the sound quality from even this basic alogrithm should be ok.

As I have very few files with ReplayGain enabled I'd be grateful for any feedback on how well the ReplayGain support is working, and if you encounter any problems, please let me know so I can investigate/fix.