Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

leenuxg33k

Yay!

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:43 am

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Definately works. I have to do some more listening to see how well it really works.

I'm going to try out the wav codec as well.

flower you guys are good!!! (wishes that roku would either give out the source or hire you and endless) :-)

kawi9365

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:07 am

Does this mean I can play flac files on an Soundbridge M500 without any server software other than SAMBA shares?

/Kalle

leenuxg33k

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:11 am

kawi9365 wrote:
Does this mean I can play flac files on an Soundbridge M500 without any server software other than SAMBA shares?

/Kalle

I don't think so.. The codec only works on the Open Platform Photo Bridge. The SoundBridge is a closed platform that can only be improved by Roku.

;-) - Sorry couldn't resist.

soiaf
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:48 am

kawi9365 wrote:

Unfortunately (as leenuxg33k mentioned) this codec is only for the PhotoBridge. Apparently Roku could use this same code on the SoundBridge, they'd have to release it themselves as a firmware upgrade.
No idea if they ever plan on releasing FLAC for the SoundBridge however.

sjm

FLAC over UPNP

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:00 am

Hi,

I'm using the FLAC codec fine off a samba mount but I want to use it over UPNP from my Twonkyvision server - as that way I get metadata. Unfortunately all that happens in Sonata is that I get the "Unable to open stream" error displayed.

This is using the latest firmware (2.0.36) and FLAC codec (0.8).

I also tried patching the file

/etc/rokucascade/settings/com.roku.deschutes.sonata.mime-types

and added a line

audio/x-flac:String:FLAC

As that looked like it would be needed. I checked out the twonkyvision UPNP data and audio/x-flac looks like the mime type that gets sent.

Any thoughts as to why it wouldn't work.

Cheers,

-- Simon.

soiaf
Topic Author

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:19 pm

I know that someone tried this out a few months ago, again with no luck.
You're right, in theory all that should need to be done is add an entry in the mime types file, but that doesn't seem to work.
The FLAC codec works for both playing files directly and for playing from streams (for SlimServer/SlimRoku) so I wouldn't think theres any issues there, I think Sonata is just choosing not to use the mime types file.

However.....

I downloaded a trial version of TwonkyMedia and it played FLAC files perfectly for me!
It appears it was using the WAV codec to play the files as it was able to play some of my DTS music which was encoded in FLAC format (which wouldn't work if it was trying to transcode to MP3).
I did some tests to confirm this and TwonkyMedia is definitely sending content via the WAV codec.

Now the reason it works for me (I'm pretty sure) is that I have a modified WAV codec on my machine suitable for streaming (developed for use with SlimRoku).

So, if you want to try this out, heres a link to the suitable WAV codec

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6028

Hopefully this will work for you as well.

sjm

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:30 pm

Unfortunately the WAV option is not open to me at the moment as I'm running the Twonky server on a LinkStation NAS and it doesn't do the FLAC transcoding on that device.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Cheers,

Simon.

soiaf
Topic Author

Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:22 pm

Thats a pity, looks like you'll have to wait until Roku do some more work with UPnP support on the PhotoBridge.

I guess you've tried Slimroku and Sonica, both of which support FLAC tags etc. ?

sjm

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:16 pm

Well I won't hold my breath for Roku to make any changes to the UPNP :-)

There are a number of things about Sonica that put me off it - I guess one solution is to send them off as feature requests.

I did try SlimRoku but I found that SlimServer seems too heavyweight to run effectively on the LinkStation - the music pauses for 20 seconds every time the track changes whilst the display updates.

Cheers,

Simon.

soiaf
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2006 3:29 pm

I've uploaded version 0.9 which adds support for FLAC files with 24 bit sample sizes.

24 bit sample sizes are not supported on the PhotoBridge, but this version of the codec recognizes if a file contains 24 bit samples and reports the file as having 16 bit sample sizes. It then dynamically 'dithers' the sound so the resulting output uses 16 bit sample sizes.
While this process is not lossless, it does produce good results and most importantly allows playback of FLAC files with 24 bit sample sizes :D

soiaf
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:32 am

I've uploaded version 1.0 of the FLAC codec.

This version of the codec is based on libFLAC 1.1.4 (most up to date) - previous versions of the codec were based on libFLAC 1.1.2

pg_rider

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:57 am

I've purposely avoided using this til now as every audio file I have is in .mp3 format. However, I'm thinking I want to start ripping with FLAC and still be able to play via the Roku. Only thing is I use Sonica -- after I install the FLAC codec via your "easy" method, will Sonica be able to play FLAC music transparently?

soiaf
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:30 pm

Yes! :)

Once the FLAC codec is installed, Sonica will work well with them. Sonica can read the tags from the FLAC files and can play them with no difficulties.

It should be straightforward enough to install the codec (I hope!) but please let me know if you've any problems and I'll try to help out.

pg_rider

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:33 pm

soiaf wrote:
It should be straightforward enough to install the codec (I hope!) but please let me know if you've any problems and I'll try to help out.

I sure will. Let me ask -- when you say:

"Unzip the contents on your computer (keep the directory structure). Create a directory (lets say codecs) on a compact flash card or network share and copy the contents of the zip file into this directory."

Can I just unzip to a folder called "FLAC" under a shared folder I have called "Apps" (which also includes folders for Sonica and MPlay)? And when I do that I'll get an icon on my Roku that I just need to click and then I'm done (beside running Sonata of course)?

soiaf
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:31 pm

Yes, as long as the Roku can see the folder where the codec file is stored, it can playback the files. So storing on the same share as Sonica itself should work fine.
When you unzip, you'll see an icon for installing, just click on it, wait a few seconds and it should be it. Depending on the access to the share i.e. whether you allow write access to the share, it will even attempt to remove the installation icon so as to not 'get in the way'.