Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

soiaf
Topic Author

WavPack codec for fw 2.0.34+

Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:52 am

Heres my version of the WavPack codec for the 2.0.34 (or higher) firmware.
Please run the sonata application at least once before making these changes (the sonata application makes a number of files the first time it is ever run).

This codec has certain known limitations:

* It will not accept WavPack files from before version 4.0.
* It does not handle WavPack "correction" files

24-bit output is not supported by the PhotoBridge. However the codec does dither 24-bit input and produces 16-bit output. This is not a lossless procedure of course.

Two possible ways of installing this, the easy way (just click on an icon to install) or the techie way (using telnet etc.).

Easy Method

Download the following package

http://members.upc.ie/p.mc.quillan/WAVP ... 4_fw36.zip

Unzip the contents on your computer (keep the directory structure).

Create a directory (lets say codecs) on a compact flash card or network share and copy the contents of the zip file into this directory.

You should be then ready to install - an icon should be on the desktop (in the share or compact flash card where you installed the files) - the application will be called

installWAVPACKcodec

Click on this.

You should now be able to play your WavPack files!

Important Note This install script does not copy the codec into the internal memory of the PhotoBridge - the codec is stored in the directory you created on the compact flash card (or network share).. If the PhotoBridge cannot see the codec (say you've removed the compact flash card that you stored the codec on) then you can't play your WavPack files.

More details in the readme file enclosed in the zip file.

Techie Method

+++++++
Step 1
======

Add the following line

wv:String:WAVPACK

to the end of the file

/etc/rokucascade/settings/com.roku.deschutes.sonata.extensions

Step 2
======

After extracting from the zip file, copy the file

libCascadeAudioCodecWAVPACK.so

to the directory

/etc/rokucascade/codecs

Note I would suggest that you store the WavPack codec (as well as any other third party codecs) in a shared folder or on a compact flash card and put a symbolic link in the /etc/rokucascade/codecs directory linking to that particular codec file - this will keep space free in the internal storage area.

+++++++

This should now mean that the sonata application will be able to see files ending in .wv (WavPack files) extension, and hopefully be able to play them!

Please treat this codec as a work-in-progress!
Let me know if you've any problems.

For more information about the WavPack codec in general, please visit
http://www.wavpack.com/

Edit 21 May Recompiled for firmware 2.0.24
Edit 3 June 2007 V0.3 now based on version 4.40 of the 'tiny' decoder.
Last edited by soiaf on Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

soiaf
Topic Author

Sat May 21, 2005 9:49 am

Made the following changes:

* Recompiled for firmware 2.0.24
* Now comes in easy installation package

soiaf
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:29 am

V0.3 of the WavPack codec is now available.

V0.3 is based on version 4.40 of the WavPack 'tiny' decoder. This version is able to playback some files that V0.2 could not handle. This version is also able to decode files between 10 to 15 percent quicker than V0.2 (based on various speed tests I've done).

soiaf
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:39 am

V0.4 of the WavPack codec is now available.

This version fixes a bug that prevented playback of WavPack files containing over 1000 bytes of RIFF header data. I've also added support for playback of 24-bit WavPack files (the output is dithered to 16-bit).

Burkhardi

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:13 am

Soiaf, Thanks for your continued support on all these extra codecs!
Best regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Snow123

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:49 am

Create a directory (lets say codecs) on a compact flash card or network share and copy the contents of the zip file into this directory. :!: