Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dgburns

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:43 pm

TheEndless wrote:
I would think that this really depends on the backend database.

Does the Roku development environment support SQL? So somebody could setup MySQL or such on a Windows or Linux box that the Mplay interface could point to across the LAN for searches?

VBGeek2000

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:46 pm

I would vote against MySQL or any SQL database. That is too much like work. I do DB development all day and I do not want to come home at night and have to do it some more just for movies on the Roku! Plus I would have to leave a PC on instead of just running everything off of the NAS box.

I vote for either the XML file created from the DVD Catalog software or the addition of those tags to the mplay files. I would vote for the MPlay change over XML if MPlay could connect to the internet and download the pertinent information for me, such as movie description, rating and why, actors, etc. I'm not asking much, am I Endless. :wink: :D

Tim

barrygordon

Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:58 pm

My main DVD system is not Roku based, but rather DVD changer based directly to the projector. I do have a bit of experience however since I wrote the DVD librarian that controls the changers and allows for simple selection of a DVD (Totally point and click)

In the system, a Philips iPronto acts as the part of the GUI that you touch, the main screen acts as the part of the GUI you look at. [Yes you do look at the iPronto to see what button to press]. The system has a copy of the DVD profiler XML data base at its disposal. When I get a new DVD I have the profiler automatically absorb it, and I manually add, via the profiler, a tag I defined as slot number where I wil store the DVD. For DVD sets I store multiple slot numbers.

The system will then bring up the DVD list in either Alpha order or reverse chrono (User choice) and put it on the big screen, 50 titles per screen image. Navigation is by N,S,E,W buttons, Page up/down, or if alpha sorted by first letter of the title. I saw no sense to showing covers as part of the library function. It is too slow and adds no real value. The name of the movie is what I want to select by. The system is smart enough to do proper text conversion for funny charachters, and knows how to expand sets into multiple entries with the set name followed by Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, etc. When the desired title is selected, one either hits Play at which time the slot number is retrieved and the changer started, or one can hit Info that brings up the full contents (well most of it) from the profiler data base along with the cover image, puts it on the main screen so it can be easily read from the seating area.

IMHO after dealing with DVD's and Laser Discs for about 10 years, having a family in the movie industry, and hearing all sorts of ease of use ideas, I vote for simplicity (text titles) extensibility (full info) and automation (one simple process for adding a disc to the library).

I see no reason why this could not be a front end for the roku with slot numbers replaced by fully qualified addresses. XML is very flexible and easy to parse.

If there was a way of adding attachments I would throw up some screen snapshots, Maybe I will take some pics and add them to my web site.

My 35 cents

RAB

Nice!

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:59 am

Barry, I really like your application and suggestion for Roku. The iPronto is super but I wonder if a less expensive option based on a Palm or Pocket PC might also be considered.
flower

barrygordon

Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:13 am

I have run my Theater system with everything from the original Pronto remote to the current iPronto. It does not matter what the user held device is as long as:

1) It has a way of talking to the system (IR, RF, TCP/IP)
2) It can tell the system what button was pressed
3) There are enough buttons to map into the functions you want

The reason I like the iPronto is because of the size of the screen real estate. Clearly a PDA of almost any type as long as it meets the above criteria would do.

SimonO

Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:09 pm

I had a play with a Kaleidescape system at CEDIA UK on Thursday and I was very impressed with the GUI...

http://www.kaleidescape.com/system/movieguide.html

Anyone else tried this system..?
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

waynedunham

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:55 pm

For the price the Kaleidescape SHOULD be impressive in every respect. I saw it at the HT show in NYC this spring. Pretty impressive, but still had some major missing items for the major $$$$ they're asking for it.
Wayne Dunham

SimonO

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:59 am

I agree, but the GUI was/is fantastic...
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

bluefin

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:23 pm

For those interested, check here for an actual app the Humperdink has posted:

http://rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3498
bluefin