Thanks for your help.

David

bpwwer
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:43 pm

bpwwer wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Comparing 01-Part Of The Plan with %T-%t

Is that a cut-n-paste of the debug log? Because that is suppose to match, the %T is suppose to match the track number and the %t the title portion.

Chewy wrote:
If I understand corrently the Settings file needs to be modified to force it to pick up the title? Thanks in advance, Chewy.

You can modify the "%T-%t" in the /etc/rokucascade/settings/com.bobsplace.sonica.settings file to be "%t" and that might allow it to pick it up the whole thing as the title. It should work with what you have so I'll work on a fixing that.

Yeah, I'm replying to my own post. This is a bug. I tracked it down and fixed it so the next version will work correctly with that format string. The workaround of changing the "%T-%t" to just "%t" will work for now, you'll just lose the track numbers and the titles will all show up with the track number at the front.
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]

bpwwer
Topic Author

Re: cover art

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:44 pm

DavidPitts wrote:
Deleting the database file did it.
Thanks for your help.
David

Good. Forcing a re-scan from within the GUI is on the TODO list so this is another good reason for me to start working on it :)
-- Bob --

gordo

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:34 pm

I have some *.url files that are used by mt-daapd (which is serving my Soundbridge). The new version of Sonica picks these up and treats them as streaming audio urls except they don't work, likely because mt-daapd expects more than just a url. The file includes bitrate, a label, then the actual url. e.g.:

128,Radio Maconda,http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=6278&file=filename.pls

I expect Sonica expects the url only - in any case it doesn't work. Any chance you could add an option (look for the ,) to accept the same format as mt-daapd (which is used by quite a few people with Soundbridges) so that it isn't necessary to have competing *.url files confusing the software??

Chewy

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:56 am

bpwwer wrote:
bpwwer wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Comparing 01-Part Of The Plan with %T-%t

Is that a cut-n-paste of the debug log? Because that is suppose to match, the %T is suppose to match the track number and the %t the title portion.

Chewy wrote:
If I understand corrently the Settings file needs to be modified to force it to pick up the title? Thanks in advance, Chewy.

You can modify the "%T-%t" in the /etc/rokucascade/settings/com.bobsplace.sonica.settings file to be "%t" and that might allow it to pick it up the whole thing as the title. It should work with what you have so I'll work on a fixing that.

Yeah, I'm replying to my own post. This is a bug. I tracked it down and fixed it so the next version will work correctly with that format string. The workaround of changing the "%T-%t" to just "%t" will work for now, you'll just lose the track numbers and the titles will all show up with the track number at the front.

Bob, Thanks for looking at this (yes, it was a cut-n-paste of the debug log). Your application is killer good!

--Chewy

jr1414

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:26 am

Bob,

Just got around to trying to incorporate into SDesk as per your instructions below:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "playsong $1" > /tmp/playsong.log

RESULT=`/usr/local/bin/ecp sonicaApp APPEND \"$1\"`
if [ "$RESULT" != "sonicaApp: file appended" ]; then
touch /tmp/stop.vlc
if [ -f /tmp/vlc.runs ]; then
# There is a vlc running... stop it.
touch /tmp/stop.vlc
sleep 3
touch /tmp/stop.vlc
fi
/mnt/smb/nfs/roku/rokudev/sonica/sonica -b -n -i -f "$1" &
fi

# eof

The /mnt/smb/nfs/roku/rokudev/sonica/sonica is the full path to my installation, yours will be different. It's only the three lines that contain mp3player that change. The same changes would be made in the playmusic script.

I changed it for my install /mnt/flash1/sonica/sonica and it does not show up in SDesk. I also rebuilt the menus there too with no luck. When I telnet in and use the ecp call directly it comes back with that sonicaApp as not recognized as a ecp command.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks,

JR

waynedunham

Re: Cover Art

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:01 pm

DavidPitts wrote:
I have a cover.jpg, folder.jpg and folder.thm file in the same folder as the MP3's. Still no cover art.

I apologize for asking such a weenie question when Sonica is such an improvement over the native capability, but I want to find out what I am doing wrong.

Any advice on what to check first?

Not sure if this applies, but in Mplay to get the DVD cover arts to show you have to make sure the files are regular JPG and not progressive JPG and also the file has to be under 100k in size.
I'm pretty sure the progressive vs. regular is something the current OS doesn't support, but don't know if the 100k limit is something Photobridge, or the way Mplay loads/displays cover art.

So I'd try those two possibilities first.
Wayne Dunham

bpwwer
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:07 pm

jr1414 wrote:
I changed it for my install /mnt/flash1/sonica/sonica and it does not show up in SDesk. I also rebuilt the menus there too with no luck. When I telnet in and use the ecp call directly it comes back with that sonicaApp as not recognized as a ecp command.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

JR,
I'm not sure what you mean by "it does not show up". This change makes SDesk use Sonica as the backend music player instead of mp3play. It doesn't change the SDesk menus in any way. You should have a "MyMusic" menu with songs and when you select a song, it should call Sonica to play it (Sonica will run in the background, so you won't see Sonica's screens).

The 'ecp' commands only work when Sonica is running. In the script, it's the call at the bottom that actually starts Sonica:
/mnt/flash1/sonica/sonica -b -n -i -f "$1"

If you run this from the command line, replacing the $1 with the full path to a music file, the file should play. For SDesk, the main advantage to using Sonica, is that it can play other types of files (FLAC, TTA, AAC, etc) that mp3play can't.

Does that make sense?
-- Bob --

pg_rider

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:53 pm

Got a layout request. Right now Sonica displays the artist name, then under that the album, then the song title. Would it be hard to have instead:

Artist Name
"Song Title" (Sonica would add the quotes"
Album

Is this something I could do by changing a line of code? Just wondering -- my brain would process song info better that way... :)

bpwwer
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:48 pm

gordo wrote:
I have some *.url files that are used by mt-daapd (which is serving my Soundbridge). The new version of Sonica picks these up and treats them as streaming audio urls except they don't work, likely because mt-daapd expects more than just a url. The file includes bitrate, a label, then the actual url. e.g.:

128,Radio Maconda,http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=6278&file=filename.pls

I expect Sonica expects the url only - in any case it doesn't work. Any chance you could add an option (look for the ,) to accept the same format as mt-daapd (which is used by quite a few people with Soundbridges) so that it isn't necessary to have competing *.url files confusing the software??

At this point, Sonica can't handle a URL to a playlist of URL's, but it can read the playlist file of URL's. You got me thinking about what it would take to handling these correctly and it might not be too hard.

You're sortof right in that Sonica is mapping .url to HTTP streams but that's because I internally used .url as a way to get HTTP streams that don't actually have a file extension to map to the MP3 codec. I didn't realize that there would be actual music releated files out there with a .url extension. Internally, I'll have to change the .url to something less likely to be a real file. Then I'll work on supporting HTTP based playlists. Once I have that, parsing the mt-daapd .url files should be easy. You might have to test all this out though :)
-- Bob --

bpwwer
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:08 pm

pg_rider wrote:
Got a layout request. Right now Sonica displays the artist name, then under that the album, then the song title. Would it be hard to have instead:

Artist Name
Album

Is this something I could do by changing a line of code? Just wondering -- my brain would process song info better that way... :)

Easy enough to swap them around. Adding "'s is pretty easy too. I just changed the code to see how it looks and it's not bad so I'll leave it this way and we'll see what others think of the change.
-- Bob --

pg_rider

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:05 am

bpwwer wrote:
pg_rider wrote:

Artist Name
Album

Easy enough to swap them around. Adding "'s is pretty easy too. I just changed the code to see how it looks and it's not bad so I'll leave it this way and we'll see what others think of the change.

Cool! So do I need to download a new version or can I do it myself?
I really love this app! Even my wife think's "it's cool", which is high praise coming from her! :lol:

Bonzojim

Incomplete scan

Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:22 am

At start-up, Sonica only finds songs in about 20 of 139 sub-directories. Any clue as what is going on? How can I force it to look for more songs? Roku's listen app doesn't seem to have this problem.

I ran the debugger, and for all the songs that it ignores, the debugger provided the following:

artist: John O'Conor
album: Beethoven Piano Sonatas
title: (null)
location: /mnt/smb/net_disk_1/music/iTunes Music/John O'Conor/Beethoven Piano Sonatas/01 Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op 13 _P.mp3
genre: Unknown
add_file: ignoring /mnt/smb/net_disk_1/music/iTunes Music/John O'Conor/Beethoven Piano Sonatas/01 Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op 13 _P.mp3
Locating ID3v1 tag for /mnt/smb/net_disk_1/music/iTunes Music/John O'Conor/Beethoven Piano Sonatas/02 Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op 13 _P.mp3...
add_file: Failed to parse metadata from /mnt/smb/net_disk_1/music/iTunes Music/John O'Conor/Beethoven Piano Sonatas/02 Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op 13 _P.mp3
Comparing John O'Conor with %a
Comparing Beethoven Piano Sonatas with %A
Comparing 02 Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op 13 _P with %T-%t
Ignoring song /mnt/smb/net_disk_1/music/iTunes Music/John O'Conor/Beethoven Piano Sonatas/02 Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op 13 _P.mp3 because of bad meta data

bpwwer
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:40 am

pg_rider wrote:
Cool! So do I need to download a new version or can I do it myself?
I really love this app! Even my wife think's "it's cool", which is high praise coming from her! :lol:

You'll need to download a new version when it's ready. I'm working on embedded cover art for at least MP3 files right now but I'll try to package up and release a new version later today with or without any embedded artwork support :)
-- Bob --

bpwwer
Topic Author

Re: Incomplete scan

Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:46 am

Bonzojim wrote:
At start-up, Sonica only finds songs in about 20 of 139 sub-directories. Any clue as what is going on? How can I force it to look for more songs? Roku's listen app doesn't seem to have this problem.

I ran the debugger, and for all the songs that it ignores, the debugger provided the following:

artist: John O'Conor
album: Beethoven Piano Sonatas
title: (null)
location: /mnt/smb/net_disk_1/music/iTunes Music/John O'Conor/Beethoven Piano Sonatas/01 Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op 13 _P.mp3
genre: Unknown
add_file: ignoring /mnt/smb/net_disk_1/music/iTunes Music/John O'Conor/Beethoven Piano Sonatas/01 Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op 13 _P.mp3

There's a bug in the current version where it fails to parse title infomration from song names properly. I've fixed it for the next version which I want to release later today.

Sonica requires that every song have an artist, album, and title so that it can properly place them in the menus. If it can't determine any of those items, it ignores the song. As a workaround, you can change a setting in the /etc/rokucascade/settings/com.bobsplace.sonica.settings file -- change "%T-%t" to "%t", that will force it to pick up the title from the file name. Or you can wait a bit and get the next version.
-- Bob --