Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

scifiguy
Topic Author

Radio Stations on the Photobridge?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:31 am

I can view and select different radio stations using Sdesk. However, when I try to hit the right arrow to play them, nothing happens. The menu doesn't seem to change. It's like the right arrow has no effect. If I hit the left arrow, it takes me back to the main Radio menu. If I hit the down arrow, it goes to the next radio station. Is anybody currently using the Radio feature? Was there something special you had to do to get it working? Is there a specific firewall port that needs to be opened?

I can use the Play Music feature, so I'm pretty sure it's not my sound system.

Also, I was wondering how the radio stations make it into the scan. I listen to a number of Internet radio station feeds through Replay Radio (they've probably got 1000 or so listed) and none of them seem to appear in the Roku scan.

waynedunham

Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:05 am

How long did you wait? I haven't played around with them all that much, but some of them took about 10-15 seconds before they started playing. I'm guessing it depends on how long it takes to contact the site, have the site start sending the feed, and buffer enough data to start playing.
Wayne Dunham

scifiguy
Topic Author

Waiting for Internet Radio to kick in...

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:23 am

At most, I probably waited about 15 minutes. I also tried turning the volume all the way up - just in case it was too faint at normal levels.

I wonder if anybody actually uses that capability of their PhotoBridge?

soiaf

Re: Waiting for Internet Radio to kick in...

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:41 am

scifiguy wrote:
At most, I probably waited about 15 minutes. I also tried turning the volume all the way up - just in case it was too faint at normal levels.

I wonder if anybody actually uses that capability of their PhotoBridge?

I've definitely used it!
One thing I've found is that some radio stations only allow a certain number of connections at the one time, and when that limit is reached nothing will happen when you try to listen to the station.

I've found it helps to do a re-scan of the radio stations occasionally.

I think the problem at the moment is that SDesk is actually using another application (vlc) to do the radio streaming and the 'feedback' from that application isn't great - so if a problem occurs (like can't connect to a radio station) - theres no feedback on the main SDesk display.
I believe that Sven is interested in moving the code to handle radio stations 'into' the main SDesk code, so it would be fully integrated (and you would get full feedback etc.).

Tony Chick

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:50 am

ScifiGuy,
I had that exact problem running on my Rev. A without a swap file. Once I created a swap file, it started to work. If you have a Rev. B, then its something else.

scifiguy
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:38 pm

Tony Chick wrote:
ScifiGuy,
I had that exact problem running on my Rev. A without a swap file. Once I created a swap file, it started to work. If you have a Rev. B, then its something else.

Hmm, interesting. I don't have a swapfile set up (yet) I'll give it a shot...

Thx!

P.S. Sven - I'd be happy to help beta test the new SDesk radio features :)

sven

Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:18 am

I uploaded a new SDesk, that is actually using sonica for playing radio stations. The startup and stop time should be shorter with that compared to vlc. I also added a status message at the bottom of the screen to indicate when an operation has been triggered.

I hope this will help... let me know.

Thanks,
Sven