Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jinzora
Topic Author

So close, yet so far away...

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:43 am

So I'm really not trying to post flame bait here, I just wanted to let Roku know about a few issues that I've been having since I got my PB HD1000 4 months ago.

When I got it I play with it a lot trying to get everything working. After 2 months of this I stopped. The short reason - nothing ever works reliably. My main goal is to play ripped DVD's from my PC in my home theatre. This has NEVER EVER worked - not once.

I've used the built in player, I've used MPlay. On every single DVD the audio skips. EVERY ONE.

After 2 months I gave up and boxed the thing up with intentions of selling it on eBay. It sat at my desk for 2 months as I just never got around to it. Yesterday I decided that I'd give it another shot - surely by now they've worked out these basic problems that prevent the device from being usable, right? WRONG.

So after 4 months I'm done. So as you would have an "exit interview" when leaving a job I figured I'd post an exit interview about my Roku experience. I really only mean this as constructive criticism - with out criticism like this projects can not move forward in my opinion.

- LISTEN TO YOUR USERS.

- Fix the basic problems that are ALL OVER these forums.

- Fix the simple problems. I can't stream a DVD with this thing, what the flower is that about? BASIC FUNCTION!

- The "bubble gum" interface is TERRIBLE. Get a real interface designer and start from scratch.

- Simple things like pausing music while navigating are terrible. Take a clue from apps like Windows Media Center and MythTV. Both are light years ahead of this thing.

- Rhapsody support. It is REDICULIOUS that the SoundBridge would support something that the more expensive PhotoBridge doesn't. Just plain stupid.

- Release 2.0. There is only one reason for on-going betas - you don't have to support them.

- SUPPORT. The support from Roku is TERRIBLE - to be clear the support from the users in these forums is AWESOME!

- No built in DVD Player application? I have to use MPlay for this (which is great don't get me wrong). Come on - a basic DVD player app with full support for menus, etc is a BASIC FEATURE.

- No WMVHD support? Are you kidding me? This thing is supposed to do HD right???

Ok, so that's a long enough list. As I said I'm not looking to start a flame war - I just want to be honest about my experience and why I'll be putting my Roku on eBay tomorrow (that is unless someone wants to make me an offer here :-)

One final word. MANY THANKS to everyone here - you are a loyal user base, something I think that Roku is taking for granted and doesn't realize what they have. You are all awesome, helpful, and excited about this product. I was a first too, but I've had enough. I didn't get my PB so I could play, I got it so I could enjoy my digital media - something I've never, not even once, been able to do.

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora
Jinzora :: Free Your Media
http://www.jinzora.com

barrygordon

Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:41 pm

Well there are two sides to every coin.

I use the Photobridge (Version A) in my home theater as my "Media player".

I play music (WAV and MP3) using Slim Roku and or Listen. I use Listen for disks I ripped to WAV filles that were DTS encoded (5 full frequency channels) and SlimRoku for the mp3 files which were audio CD's. I hope someday the Slim Roku app will handle WAV files that are full DTS encoded. I understand it is a Roku problem.

I play DVD's using Mplay after ripping them to my Server using DVD shrink to rip them. The only DVD's I rip are concert DVD's, and generally these do not have anything but "Stereo Audio". No AC3, no DTS, No DD 5.1 I need to go back and check, but I believe a few of them do have DD 5.1 or DTS. Movie DVD's are handled by twin 300 DVD mega changers. 340 DVD's take a lot of storage on Disk.

I build Art Packs using photos I have taken adding some music tracks and run them as slide shows when I want to bore friends and family. The African Safari shots are not boring however. My late wife took a shot of a lioness nursing cubs standing about 20 feet from the activity. The guide had his heart in his mouth, I was smiling because I knew there was no way she was not going to do that. I once told her my sports car was skidproof, so she opened it up to 135 in a light rain on the way to cape cod. Life needs excitement at times to be a life!

I have had no problems at all other than one which I will get to. Yes there were issues with some of the base software and some of the 3rd party apps, but most of that is gone. All in all I am satisfied with what the Photobridge does for me.

The only real problem I have had was a burnt out Power Supply. It took me about 2-3 weeks total turnaround time to get that fixed and cost me $50. If it happens again I will go to an External PS. The Photobridge seems to have a real design flaw in the power supply it chose.

The Photobridge sits on the house LAN (100 MBPS, wired). It is controlled through its RS232 port by the PC that runs the theater. It drives a Benq 8700 Projector via component signals through a component switcher at 720P. the Benq throws a 16x9 image that is 10 feet wide (133 inch diagonal) and the imagry from the Photobridge looks superb at our standard viewing/seating distance of about 15 feet (1.5x screen width)

I am satisfied.

Now what are you asking for the Photobridge?

jinzora
Topic Author

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:19 pm

Barry,

I'm very glad you love your PB - I really wanted to love mine. As for how you're using it - that sounds great - exactly what I want. My experience has been completely the opposite.

You ask what I'm asking for my PB? Not sure yet - gonna put it up on eBay. Obviously I'd rather sell it around eBay so I don't have to pay all their fees...

I paid $399 + tax + shipping for it 4 months ago. It's the 15000 model with the art packs. Make me an offer?

Feel free to PM me if we shouldn't be discussing this in the forums...

Thanks,

Ross[/img]
Project Leader - Jinzora

barrygordon

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:23 pm

I will decline at this time. Thanks

ngregory

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:53 pm

I too will have to echo the gist of Jinzora's rant. I was an early buyer of the HD1000, and was extremely disappointed with it's out of box behavior. Several software upgrades came and went, gettiing a little better each time.

But it never "rang the bell" for me. The only function that was of any actual use was the ability to pop my camera media into it and display my photos. Nice, but a bit overpriced for that alone. I know, I know, it's a "PHOTO bridge" so all it should do is display photos, right? Maybe, but the high initial price..........

Speaking of being "overpriced", I paid full price when it was first introduced. A couple of weeks after I bought mine, they lowered the price. They then offered us early buyers a $150 discount on another Roku product (Soundbridge). I did not take advantage then because I was feeling so burned by the PB experience I did not want to throw good money after bad. I tried to return it and was refused, and was going to try and sell it. But I got busy, and just forgot about it then.

A year or so has flown by since then.......

Recently I saw the announcement of the radio, and this hits me where I live. Just the feature set I've been looking for. I put in my order for one.

BUT!

Believe-you-me, I am going to be SUPER critical of it's functionality. If it disppoints in any significant way, it is going right back immediately, and this time I will brook NO EXCUSES for refusing to take it back. Anything less than a cheerful, and instant refund will be met by immediate small-claims action. Roku are promising a no-matter-what 30 day return policy, and I will insist they honor it this time. I mean it!

I am also downloading the latest upgrade for the photobridge and plan to give it a fresh look. I have crossed fingers that maybe, just maybe the software gurus at Roku have figured out all the issues and made it work correctly, or at least enough better that I can finally get some real use of it.

I really want you to bring me back into the land of the happy customer.
If the PB is much improved with the latest code and the Radio works well, I will be well started down that path.

The final icing on the cake would be to extend that previously offered and unused $150 discount to my new radio order. I have written customer service twice asking about it, and so far they have not replied at all. Maybe they're busy getting the radio out the door. I'll ask em again this week. I could understand a refusal as it's been over a year, but ignoring me is not acceptable.

Refusing is what I would expect from most ordinary companies.

Only an exceptional company, one that really wants to go the extra mile to make their customers happy would extend the offer.

Is Roku exceptional? I'm awaiting a response.

Close, yet so far away is how a lot of folks seem to feel, judging from several discussions I have seen.

Treat your customers right and address their needs and they will buy more. They will also recommend your products to their friends. You have nice products that just need a bit more polish and a little more enthusiasm in their support. Don't quit now. Listen to the users and keep polishing.

Nat

Spin

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:15 pm

Ok, Well I'll be the one to bite.

The photobridge does what it says it will do. It plays audio files, and views images. It does not say it will play ripped DVDs. But.. thanks to great 3rd party developers it does more than advertised. Audio skips using mplay? Are you using a swap file, and the maxbuffer tag? Are you crazy enough to try this over wireless or have a wired connection to your computer. If wired are you using a switch or a hub. It takes some work and research on your own to get things the way you want; if you want to use the box for more than it was created. It will work, just don't expect Roku to offer support for third party creations.

Wiley

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:31 pm

I like my Roku, but then again I'm an engineer and don't mind tinkering. But when friends ask me what I recommend for a media bridge I have to be honest ...I steer then the XP MediaCenter/Linksys route. Not because I think it is better, it is just a lot less work. Have any of you had the fun experience of trying to explain how to download and install Mplay to somebody non-technical? They just stare are you ...sometimes they nod along like they understand the words you are saying and then ask "What's a forum?".

Honestly there should be a disclaimer on the Media Bridge that reads "You must RTFM ...if you don't know what that means, please don't buy this product".

It's the price you pay for bleeding edge I guess. People love my system at home and always ask how it is all setup and configured. I just smile at them and keep my mouth shut so their heads don't explode. I think Roku is on the right track, they just gotta start being honest with people and say it’s a work in progress.

stang2112

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:49 pm

I did purchase the PB (poop box) about 3 weeks ago with all the excitement and anxiousness of viewing my loads of high def. pics and home movies without having to burn to DVD first, and being able to stream my music was a great bonus. When I recieved it, I was exstatic and couldn't wait to get hooked up. I jumped right into it, got it turned on, set up and plugged the Aquarium art pack (which is also a cool bonus), awesome for few moments, LOCK UP. I wonder what happened. So I rebooted, loaded it again, awesome, LOCK UP. WTF. Well I thought I was doing some wrong, so I tried some of pictures from camera to see if maybe it was just the art pack. Wrong LOCKED UP just after browsing a few pics. The pics I did see looked great. Once again reboot, and while it was rebooting I reread the manual to see if I was doing something wrong, so it just sat there idle and what do you know it LOCKED UP all by itself. (IT ISN'T ME). So I got on their forum and did some reading. Found quite a few things. Downloaded the latest software (beta), running a swap file, BUT still LOCKS UP (it does have a little more run time than before.20-40mins. top). The aquarium art pack still doesn't run for any length. Needless to say I still can't get it to do what the says it can. VIEW MY PHOTOS, PLAY MY MUSIC, RUN THE ARTPACKS, ECT. ECT.
I did not know I'd Have to reboot after viewing a few of my photos. It takes longer to reboot than the time the PB (poop box) gives me to view my pics. I'm spent many hours on this thing and not quite ready to give up, beacause I love what Roku says it will (will it?) do. I have one week before my window of return closes, so I'm going to put some more hours into it. If doesn't stay on longer than my complaining with out crashing it goes back and I will NEVER look at Roku again!!!!

ngregory

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Spin wrote:
Ok, Well I'll be the one to bite.

The photobridge does what it says it will do. It plays audio files, and views images. It does not say it will play ripped DVDs. But.. thanks to great 3rd party developers it does more than advertised. Audio skips using mplay? Are you using a swap file, and the maxbuffer tag? Are you crazy enough to try this over wireless or have a wired connection to your computer. If wired are you using a switch or a hub. It takes some work and research on your own to get things the way you want; if you want to use the box for more than it was created. It will work, just don't expect Roku to offer support for third party creations.

Uh, not exactly

Roku claims, and I quote "Hi def photos, video, music, art and more"

On their features page, they state:

Digital Photos
Digital Video
Digital Music
Network Ready
HDTV Ready (Supports a broad range of connectors...)

and on and on and on.

Truth is, Digital photos work well.

Everything else is either non-existent, doesn't work at all, or is flakey when it works. Digital Video playing MPEG file screws up aspect ratios, skips audio, and when I installed the latest Mplay, there is now NO audio, Digital Music I've never been able to make work, the networking is flakey, apparantly the DHCP is unreliable, and that vaunted "broad range of connectors" neglects to mention the very real restrictions on how those connectors can be used. Unused inputs cannot even have a connection to them or it screws up the signal.

I too am an engineer, and a networking professional. I have 100BT hardwired thruout the house, with dedicated high speed connections to my servers. I can RTFM and dig into the geekified internals, edit script files and in general grok linux boxen. I've hacked my Tivo so far that the mfg wouldn't recognize it. But we are talking about something sold as a FINISHED PRODUCT. Tivo works out of the box, as advertised. The additional functionality I have obtained by hacking it was gladly undertaken at my own risk, and entirely optional. Anyone can happily use a Tivo as the manufacturer intended without ever seeing a bash prompt. This is simply not true for the Roku. Except for the ability to stick my camera media in the front slot and see my photos, it's a paperweight, and over a year of effort by the developers to release the latest 2.0.35 beta have not materially changed it.

If I want a hackers toy, I will build a linux PC and put myth on it. If I pay full retail price for a video appliance for my media room, I do not expect to have to re-engineer it's internal software and keep loading new beta releases in hopes that ONE DAY, MAYBE it will work as advertised.

Yes I love that it's an open platform and that these nice third party applications are out there. I will love it more when someone releases something that actually works, and isn't a beta. Heck, one day I might become enthusiastic enough about the platform to write an application of my own for it. But for now, I want to see them deliver on some of their original promises.

Sorry if I'm ranting, but I'm just coming up for air after loading the latest 2.0.35 beta and frankly, am developing a deep hatred for the platform and it's developers. If this was called 0.35 beta (release ZERO, not release two) I might have more sympathy, but nothing here qualifies as release 1.0, much less 2.0

I admit I have not really dug into it's linux internals yet. So far I've treated it as a video appliance I simply brought and plugged in. When I hit a brick wall on something I have looked/asked in the forum for answers. The answer usually is something along the line of, "That feature isn't finished yet" Maybe one day I will get motivated enough to really dig in and then I'll finally be happier with it when I start treating it as a toy and not a serious video device.

But I didn't buy it because I wanted a hacking challenge, and given the way I feel about it right at this moment, I am more likely to simply remove it from my media rack and toss it in the trash.

I was thoroughly angered at the hubris of Roku and the unfinished nature of the product when I bought it. When I was unable to return it, I shelved it and ignored it for a year, occasionally sneering at it when I passed by the media rack. Now, I have spent 3 hours fiddling with 2.0.35 and find, frankly, little if any improvement, and my former anger is boiling afresh.

I agree, there should be a disclaimer on the product. It should read something like this:

WARNING: This product is a hackers toy, intended for engineers conversant in linux internals and willing to work with endless beta releases with partial functionality. It is not, and should not be construed in any way as a finished product for end users. It offers lots of potential but almost no actual functionality. If enough volunteer developers write enough free code and contribute it to the code base, one day the product MAY be useful. But Roku in no way promises in any way to support the user, or any third-party applications and if you buy it you are stuck with it. Caveat Emptor!

I guess the biggest problem is mis-matched expectations. This thing is sold as a real, ready for prime-time, useful platform. It isn't. Not by a long stretch. And over a year's additional development time hasn't changed that. It isn't finished, and shows no signs of being finished any time soon.

Had it been sold simply as the hacker toy that it is, I might well have still bought it, but I would have been prepared to spend the endless hours tinkering with it, figuring out why the DHCP flakes out, why the sound skips, and so on. And when it didn't work, I would be more willing to roll up my sleeves and dig into it.

But I wanted a specific set of functionality that Roku seemed to promise, and when I bought it and discovered that functionality was not there, I tried to return it, and was refused. That angered me, a lot. Had the version 2.0.35 shown some serious improvement, I might have been a little more forgiving, but it still sucks.

Sorry for venting about this, but that's the ugly truth. The platform has a lot of potential, but frankly as it is, it sucks, and Roku well deserves to hear it from the users. I would like to hope that when version 3.0 comes out they will finally get it sorted out, but I'm not holding my breath.

I sincerely hope they do better with the radio. I ordered one, but I'm NOT prepared to be forgiving of the sorts of flaws in the HD1000. And frankly, after spending this evening fighting with 2.0.35, I'm considering canceling the order, half-convinced that these jokers simply cannot be trusted to deliver any product.

For now, I am simply,
One Very Frustrated HD1000 customer

jinzora
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:43 am

Well I had no idea I's inspire such a thread. I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I also have to second ngregory - Roku does it fact claim that is will do all these things that we want it to do. I'll also second him that I love to play with stuff - I have MANY pieces of AV gear that I love to play with - my Windows Media Center PC, a MythTV box, Projection in my full home theatre, Plasma in my bedroom, on and on. But I just wanted this to work - I just wanted to stream DVD's to it.

I also agree with ngregory that Roku needs to be clear with customers what this is - it's a reference platform. Nothing more. It is NOT a release product - not by any stretch of the imagination.

Mine will be up on eBay today if anyone is interested. However with a thread like this I doubt I'll be able to sell it! Maybe I should have started this after I sold it!!! :D

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:58 am

stang2112 wrote:
I did purchase the PB (poop box) about 3 weeks ago with all the excitement and anxiousness of viewing my loads of high def. pics and home movies without having to burn to DVD first, and being able to stream my music was a great bonus. When I recieved it, I was exstatic and couldn't wait to get hooked up. I jumped right into it, got it turned on, set up and plugged the Aquarium art pack (which is also a cool bonus), awesome for few moments, LOCK UP. I wonder what happened. So I rebooted, loaded it again, awesome, LOCK UP. WTF. Well I thought I was doing some wrong, so I tried some of pictures from camera to see if maybe it was just the art pack. Wrong LOCKED UP just after browsing a few pics. The pics I did see looked great. Once again reboot, and while it was rebooting I reread the manual to see if I was doing something wrong, so it just sat there idle and what do you know it LOCKED UP all by itself. (IT ISN'T ME). So I got on their forum and did some reading. Found quite a few things. Downloaded the latest software (beta), running a swap file, BUT still LOCKS UP (it does have a little more run time than before.20-40mins. top). The aquarium art pack still doesn't run for any length. Needless to say I still can't get it to do what the says it can. VIEW MY PHOTOS, PLAY MY MUSIC, RUN THE ARTPACKS, ECT. ECT.
I did not know I'd Have to reboot after viewing a few of my photos. It takes longer to reboot than the time the PB (poop box) gives me to view my pics. I'm spent many hours on this thing and not quite ready to give up, beacause I love what Roku says it will (will it?) do. I have one week before my window of return closes, so I'm going to put some more hours into it. If doesn't stay on longer than my complaining with out crashing it goes back and I will NEVER look at Roku again!!!!

Sounds like you have a bad unit. I'd take it back and exchange it for a new one to see if you have the same issues. The only times I've ever had lock-ups on my RevA unit is when I've been doing memory intensive tasks without a swap file. None of the stuff you've described (especially the idle lock-up) sound like that's the case for you...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

TheEndless

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:52 am

ngregory wrote:
Roku claims, and I quote "Hi def photos, video, music, art and more"

On their features page, they state:

Digital Photos
Digital Video
Digital Music
Network Ready
HDTV Ready (Supports a broad range of connectors...)

Oddly enough, my Roku does all of these without any problems at all. In fact, when I bought it, it did all of these out of the box with firmware version 1.5.18. The only caveat was that the "Digital Video" had to be in MPEG2 transport stream format, but there were already 3rd party apps (namely CinemaSix) that got around that limitation. With the 2.0 betas, the usability of the Roku increased at least 10 fold with the addition of native MPEG2 program stream (DVD) playback and a much more robust SDK for developers. There are a number of 3rd party apps available that, in my opinion, make the Roku worth every penny and then some. I admit that it's disappointing that Roku is taking it's time finalizing the 2.0 software, and that it still lacks a lot of the features of a "polished" product, but the presence of an active 3rd party community (not to mention the ability to have a 3rd party community) helps to mitigate that tremendously.

The users on this forum are generally very responsive when it comes to helping other users with their problems. If you've been struggling as much as you say, then I'd encourage you to post your problems here and see if anyone else has had the same problem. Chances are pretty good they have, and they'll be able to help you fix it. If, on the other hand, you'd rather just give up on it, because you can't figure it out on your own, then so be it, but don't fault Roku when you didn't even ask in the first place.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jinzora
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:00 am

Endless,

Let me be clear about what we're all bitching about.

- I have asked for help many times - see my posts

- I too am a software engineer - I actually run an open source project too so I know how to hack and make things work

- Roku's support is <strong>TERRIBLE</strong>

- Your support, and the support of the other third party developers is <strong>AMAZING</strong> Roku should hire you guys RIGHT NOW.

- It does NOT work as adversited - I have a hard time believing - given what else has been posted here and many times in the forums - that even your device as 100% flawless out of the box. If so you are a lucky man - wanna trade?

- I don't mind playing with things, but not when I spend close to $500 on them and they don't do many of the things they are supposed to.

My entire point in this thread is that it has SO much potential but has realized SO little of it. What it has realized is through the work of dedicated users such as yourself, NOT from Roku and it's THEIR product. They are the ones that have left us all high and dry and as was said earlier is this was called 0.35 instead of 2.0.35 I wouldn't be bitching at all. Calling it 2.0 is laughable - a complete and utter joke.

Roku needs to realize this is a consumer product. If this were a Microsoft product it would have been laughed out of the stores but because it runs Linux we tollerate it. Well I'm not going to tollerate it any more - why? Because I should have to when I pay $500 for something.

Do you get my point? I'm not bashing you or the community here - far from it. They have been amazing. Truly amazing. Amazing because even though this thing truly sucks they stick with it and live with it sucking. That's saying a lot in itself. Roku needs to realize this and FIX THE flower THING.

Rant done....

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora

TheEndless

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:30 am

jinzora wrote:
Endless,

Let me be clear about what we're all bitching about.

- I have asked for help many times - see my posts

My reply was actually directed at ngregory who hasn't asked for any help beyond how to change the aspect ratio for videos.
jinzora wrote:
- Roku's support is <strong>TERRIBLE</strong>

I've never actually had to deal with Roku's support directly because I've always found the answers to my problems here, but I can say they certainly seem to be much more responsive to inquiries regarding the SoundBridge than they are the PhotoBridge.

jinzora wrote:
- Your support, and the support of the other third party developers is <strong>AMAZING</strong> Roku should hire you guys RIGHT NOW.

But I don't want to work in tech support! I did that already.. no thanks :P

jinzora wrote:
- It does NOT work as adversited - I have a hard time believing - given what else has been posted here and many times in the forums - that even your device as 100% flawless out of the box. If so you are a lucky man - wanna trade?

That apparently is subjective. With the exception of the visualization that's on the box, my Roku does everything the box says it will... I definitely wouldn't say it's 100% flawless by any means, but I also wouldn't say that about my new HD TiVo or any number of other components in my home theatre.

jinzora wrote:
- I don't mind playing with things, but not when I spend close to $500 on them and they don't do many of the things they are supposed to.

I agree, but then I only paid $300 for mine. I suppose the big difference between you and I on this one is that I did a considerable amount of research before buying, and chose the Roku specifically for it's "tinkering" abilities.

jinzora wrote:
My entire point in this thread is that it has SO much potential but has realized SO little of it. What it has realized is through the work of dedicated users such as yourself, NOT from Roku and it's THEIR product. They are the ones that have left us all high and dry and as was said earlier is this was called 0.35 instead of 2.0.35 I wouldn't be bitching at all. Calling it 2.0 is laughable - a complete and utter joke.

Well, if you consider that the release version of the firmware is 1.5.18, the improvements in the latest betas certainly qualify it for an incremented major version. The debate, then, would be whether the current firmware should be a 1.x release or not.

jinzora wrote:
Roku needs to realize this is a consumer product. If this were a Microsoft product it would have been laughed out of the stores but because it runs Linux we tollerate it. Well I'm not going to tollerate it any more - why? Because I should have to when I pay $500 for something.

Do you get my point? I'm not bashing you or the community here - far from it. They have been amazing. Truly amazing. Amazing because even though this thing truly sucks they stick with it and live with it sucking. That's saying a lot in itself. Roku needs to realize this and FIX THE flower THING.

Rant done....

Ross

Again.. I and quite a few other people on this forum don't think the Roku sucks. It's unfortunate that you've had a bad experience with yours. My only point in posting in this thread was to show that there are some people out here that do find the Roku to be a worthwhile purchase. There's no question that, in its current state, its target audience is not the general home consumer, but I don't think it's necessarily being marketed as such. flower, I don't know that it's even being marketed at all, for that matter... :P The SoundBridge on the other hand....

Counter-rant done.... ;)

TheEndless

stang2112

Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:22 am

Endless, I love your apps. (See my previous post in this thread). I did purchase the PB to do what the box said it will do. But it doesn't. That is FRAUD plain and simple. Youir apps are the only things that I can get to work. If only the PB would stay running long enough to actually enjoy them. There really seems to more people with bad units than good ones. Thats not right. Better Business Buraeu would love to this thread, as along with the Attorney Generals. And I also have many post into Roku about my situation and I've recieved one response telling me to reinstall the software. You spend several hundred dollars on a "Finished" product you should be able to talk to live tech support and not rely on emails that take weeks!!!!!!