Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jinzora
Topic Author

A few parting words...

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:23 pm

Many of you know that I've been VERY critical of the PB over the last few weeks. I feel like I've given it MANY chances to win me over and I've spent more than 40 hours playing with the thing to see if I could live with it. In the end the answer is a resounding:

NO WAY

So I figured I'd post some parting feedback to Roku.

The main reasons I gave up are:
- Lack of subtitle support
- Lack of DTS support
- Lack of DVD menu support
- VERY limited set of Codecs
- no WMV HD support
- General TERRIBLE interface
- Totally buggy software
- Total and complete lack of support
- No support for "to-go" music services (like Rhapsody)

I'm now on the hunt for a device that does do all these - I'm looking at the Buffalo Wireless device - looks great and looks like it supports all the above - and much more. Have been reading good reviews on it - I may post back here after I get it to let you guys know what I think...

Again thanks to all of you for your input, help, and support to get me going. Especially to TheEndless who really wanted me to get the thing working and keep it - you didn't fail - Roku failed. And boy did they fail miserably...

Thanks,

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora
Jinzora :: Free Your Media
http://www.jinzora.com

hondo

Bye

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:48 pm

I have followed this thread and I must say that I'm glad that it appears to be over.

Enough was enough along time ago.

jinzora
Topic Author

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:10 pm

I agree - I should have given up long ago.....

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:56 pm

Sorry to hear. Good luck in your quest!

If you think about it, once you put it up on ebay, post the link here. I wouldn't mind having another. Do you have a Rev A or B (I'm guessing A, since you needed a swap file)?

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jinzora
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:08 am

Endless,

I would have loved to have sold it to you - but it sold last night already! Got $300 for it too!

Again thanks for all your support - I truly wish you the best of luck and hope that Roku realizes what they have in you (and that they open up their API further...)

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora

soiaf

Re: A few parting words...

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:52 am

jinzora wrote:
VERY limited set of Codecs

I guess you mean video codecs? The PhotoBridge has a very good set of audio codecs.
It would be nice alright to play Divx files directly on the PhotoBridge, but I've no interest in any of the WMV formats.

CaminoFrancisco

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:06 pm

jinzora wrote:
I'm now on the hunt for a device that does do all these - I'm looking at the Buffalo Wireless device - looks great and looks like it supports all the above - and much more. Have been reading good reviews on it - I may post back here after I get it to let you guys know what I think...

Again thanks to all of you for your input, help, and support to get me going. Especially to TheEndless who really wanted me to get the thing working and keep it - you didn't fail - Roku failed. And boy did they fail miserably...

Thanks,

Ross

I too have been hoping Roku would pick up the ball again.

Look here: http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/Products/HDM5000U.aspx Not out yet, but looks promising.

Good luck to you, let us know what you find.

Camino.
Camino
HD1000 Rev "B"

leenuxg33k

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:42 pm

CaminoFrancisco wrote:
jinzora wrote:

Thanks,

Ross

I too have been hoping Roku would pick up the ball again.

Look here: http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/Products/HDM5000U.aspx Not out yet, but looks promising.

Good luck to you, let us know what you find.

Camino.

Looks interesting. Stupid form factor, looks like my coffee grinder. If they had an open development model I might be interested, elwood is spoiling me with mythroku.

Anyway.. I have to say I won't miss jinzora. I understand and agree that the roku has some shortcomings and I'd like to see them fixed as well, But I think his attitude sucks. Endless, You have much more patience than I!

SimonO

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:03 am

leenuxg33k wrote:
...Anyway.. I have to say I won't miss jinzora....I think his attitude sucks. Endless, You have much more patience than I!
:lol:
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

jinzora
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:58 am

Well I wasn't going to reply back but I guess I'll defend myself just a bit...

I'm sorry you guys feel that way, I don't think my attitude sucks at all. I think I gave the PB more than one chance, and many more chances than I should have. Yes I've been VERY vocal about my dislikes, one of the things I do for a living is evaluate new technologies for a venture capital firm. I see LOTS of this kind of thing and honestly the only reason I'm so vocal is to provide solid, honest feedback. I'm also a musician and run my own open source project so I know first hand the only way to grow something is to get the best, honest, feedback you can get. And I've gotten plenty of negative feedback myself.

My goal was not to upset ANYONE here, other than maybe Roku. If I have I'm sorry - again not my goal. I've been VERY clear about how great the people here are, especially TheEndless.

In the end I had to face facts, the PB does not do what Roku claims it does, not relaiably or consistantly. As I don't own one any more this is no longer my problem.

I wish you all the best of luck with your PB's - maybe Roku will release a PB 2000 some day and I'd consider it - that is I'd consider it ONLY due to the people on these forums...

All the best,

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora

halfsheep

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:32 am

Well that Tivx thing does look interesting but at $539, I'm gonna have to hold out hope for more HD1000 upgrades. Plus that's all just promise now anyway.

I think dgburns was on the money in his discussion with Jinzora about marketing wording. You have to review it carefully, and pay close attention to phrasing and what is and isn't said. Then ask why things that sound funny are phrased that way, before you buy. If it had DVD navigation, it would say it. Interesting how this product's marketing demonstrates that point just a couple of days later. Saying a lot of the things Jinzora wished it said on Roku marketing materials - but it didn't.

"TViX HD can playback DVD movies with the full functionality of DVD navigation. You can create your own virtual DVD library by storing your private collection of DVDs in .ISO or .IFO format and watch them exactly as if they were running from the original DVDs (all original features included: Menu, Chapter, Audio Stream, Subtitle, Fast Forward, Rewind, Slow, Pause, Step Forward, Repeat, Search, etc.)"

I really don't mean to rekindle the discussion though. I too am very glad it's over.

hondo

He's Back

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:35 am

Let's see...

A few parting words --- nope I think I'll stay

Just part

jinzora
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:40 am

Hondo,

Don't be a ass. I was simply clarifying what I'd said, you really should grow up. If you have something constructive then please by all means post it - if you want to be a child I suggest you "just part".

Maybe I was wrong about the community here, maybe with the exception of TheEndless and a few others Roku doesn't have a good thing here...

The whole thing is just sad.

-Unsubscribing to this thread.
-TheEndless I wish you great success with MPlay - I really do.
-To those of you being childish I wish you to grow up.
-To those of you who realize that I have about the PB I too felt your pain. Sell it on eBay - you'll feel much better.
Project Leader - Jinzora

dgburns

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:13 am

jinzora wrote:
-Unsubscribing to this thread.

10 bucks says you'll be back (but probably hidden under a new username). :shock:
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

hondo

Lets Evaluate His Project

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:35 am

(Throws Out The Bait)

Lets evaluate his product and go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about its strenghts and weaknesses, always with the caveat of "I'm trying to help". Yea sure.

Why the tag line to your product and your position with the product.

A quick check shows 483 threads and 2407 posts in the Bugs section of the products web site forums. Oh yea it doesn't seem to work with Fedora Core 4.

I guess I'm just an A(xx).

I have this product and it serves me well.

The people developing the third party applications are great. If I don't like the functionality, I can write my own.

My last post on this guy.