Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
skippy76
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:23 pm

MPlay and DD 5.1

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:24 am

Ok,

I've done some searching but not managed to find my answer. I know that DTS is not currently supported due to a limitaiton of the Roku firmware.

However, I've ripped a DVD in DD 5.1 and I don't get any sound. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is? My belief was that DD 5.1 is supported.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
 
marcelo3d
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:42 pm

In the setup screens of the HD1k, make sure you have enabled SPDIF pass though and not stereo downmix.
M.-
 
skippy76
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:36 pm

Perfect... thanks for the help... I knew it was something simple, was just being dumb!
 
skippy76
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:52 pm

Cool, so now I just have to figure out why the DVD video is jerky... the audio is fine...
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:26 pm

skippy76 wrote:
Cool, so now I just have to figure out why the DVD video is jerky... the audio is fine...

Sounds like you're trying to watch a PAL DVD at an NTSC resolution. If your TV supports it, you can try one of the 50Hz PAL resolutions on the Roku.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
skippy76
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:45 pm

Yep, turns out it is one of my (several) old Region 2 PAL DVDs... (I'm a brit and moved to the US a few years ago...

So, I've tried changing the display mode on my box and the only one I can get is the 480i and the 1080i... I have a panasonic 50" Plasma...

So, I guess I'm now into the same area as those others complaining about the PAL support on the Roku. Is there anyway I can change the way I rip the file DVD that would get round this? or any other solutions?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:51 pm

skippy76 wrote:
Yep, turns out it is one of my (several) old Region 2 PAL DVDs... (I'm a brit and moved to the US a few years ago...

So, I've tried changing the display mode on my box and the only one I can get is the 480i and the 1080i... I have a panasonic 50" Plasma...

So, I guess I'm now into the same area as those others complaining about the PAL support on the Roku. Is there anyway I can change the way I rip the file DVD that would get round this? or any other solutions?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew

I usually convert my PAL DVDs (my wife is from the UK) with VLC. Take a look at this from the MPlay FAQ: http://www.permanence.com/mplay/faq.html#videochoppy

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
skippy76
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 pm

That's great, thanks for all your help.

Now, I've ripped 3 DVDs and done the VLC convert of the VOB files (1 DVD has 5 and the other two has 4). I converted each of the VOB files.

Now when I play them with MPlay, great! I get perfect sound and video..

Except, it appears that it gets to a point where it's either the next chapter or next VOB file, either way it does not move on and I just get a black screen.

Have you come across this before?

Thanks

Andrew
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:12 pm

skippy76 wrote:
That's great, thanks for all your help.

Now, I've ripped 3 DVDs and done the VLC convert of the VOB files (1 DVD has 5 and the other two has 4). I converted each of the VOB files.

Now when I play them with MPlay, great! I get perfect sound and video..

Except, it appears that it gets to a point where it's either the next chapter or next VOB file, either way it does not move on and I just get a black screen.

Have you come across this before?

Thanks

Andrew

I've not run across that, but there is one additional step that I perform before following the steps in that FAQ. I combine all of the VOBs into a single file, then transcode that one file with VLC. I do this from the command prompt (Start->Run->cmd in Windows XP). Make sure you're in the same directory as your DVD rip, then type (substituting the VOB names as appropriate):
copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB+VTS_01_2.VOB+VTS_01_3.VOB+VTS_01_4.VOB MyMovie.VOB

The -b tells it to do a binary copy, and the +'s tell it to combine each of the files in the specified order into the single MyMovie.VOB file. It's a bit more work, but it should yield better results. There may be a more convenient way to combine them in Windows, but I know this works, so...

Alternatively, the application you use to rip your DVDs may provide some sort of "single VOB" rip option that would take care of it for you.

TheEndless

[edit]corrected /b flag[/edit]
Last edited by TheEndless on Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
skippy76
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:09 pm

Thanks for the info. Just as an FYI it's /b not -b.

Now that I generated the one VOB file [edit] I did not have sound, but rebooting the Roku fixed that...

I named the VOB file: VTS_01_1.VOB

Even with the file all as one, it still stops after about 30 mins of video.
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:25 pm

skippy76 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Just as an FYI it's /b not -b.

Now that I generated the one VOB file [edit] I did not have sound, but rebooting the Roku fixed that...

I named the VOB file: VTS_01_1.VOB

Even with the file all as one, it still stops after about 30 mins of video.

That is really odd. Can you try another DVD to see if the same happens? If you "fast-forward" to that point in MPlay, can you jump past it? (hint: for testing, it'd probably be helpful to set a bookmark just before that point in the video, so you don't have to fast-forward every time).

You may also want to try MPEG-PS in VLC rather than MPEG-TS.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
dgburns
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:37 am

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:56 am

TheEndless wrote:
There may be a more convenient way to combine them in Windows, but I know this works, so...


This being a "binary concatenate", the app BLJoin works wonders. Point and Click easy joining.

http://www.yproxy.com/downloads.html
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2
 
skippy76
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:43 am

Ok,

Thanks for all the info.

Just as an FYI to those that may try to do the same thing:

You need to rip your DVD and then concatanate the files into one file.
This one file is then the file that you need to do the VLC stuff on.

Andrew
 
clovold
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:18 am
Contact:

Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:36 pm

Anyone know why my MPlay setup can only play DD 5.1 tracks? DVDs that I have ripped with stereo audio come through with no sound. When I play them in my DVD player they sound fine. The DVDs are from TV from my DVDRecorder or home movies burned on my PC from a MiniDV camcorder. I tried switching the audio source in MPlay, but the only have one audio source listed.

Any ideas?
 
dgburns
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:37 am

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:42 pm

clovold wrote:
Anyone know why my MPlay setup can only play DD 5.1 tracks? DVDs that I have ripped with stereo audio come through with no sound. When I play them in my DVD player they sound fine. The DVDs are from TV from my DVDRecorder or home movies burned on my PC from a MiniDV camcorder. I tried switching the audio source in MPlay, but the only have one audio source listed.

Any ideas?


If those sources are PCM audio, you're out of luck. The Photobridge has no PCM (or DTS) playback support. Nothing to do with Mplay, it's the Roku itself. You'd have to convert the audio to either MPG or AC3 (VLC can do this without touching video, check some other VLC threads here).
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests