Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Interactive
Topic Author

How to make several shared drives APPEAR as one on Roku?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:24 am

I am pulling all of the content for my Roku box from one PC with 3 hard drives ranging in size from 80 GB to 250 GB. The problem is that I now have content all over the place (movies on more than one drive for example) and it's creating an uneasy user interface issue on the Roku box.

Is there any way to create one virtual "share" that actually pulls folders from mutlple places and makes them appear on the network as a single folder or drive? This way I could point mPlay to a single "virtual share" as the main menu and all folders below that would appear in the menu...for example.

Now that I've typed it, I'm not sure my question will make any sense to those of you NOT inside my head....

sanastasiow

Re: How to make several shared drives APPEAR as one on Roku?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:07 am

Interactive wrote:
I am pulling all of the content for my Roku box from one PC with 3 hard drives ranging in size from 80 GB to 250 GB. The problem is that I now have content all over the place (movies on more than one drive for example) and it's creating an uneasy user interface issue on the Roku box.

Is there any way to create one virtual "share" that actually pulls folders from mutlple places and makes them appear on the network as a single folder or drive? This way I could point mPlay to a single "virtual share" as the main menu and all folders below that would appear in the menu...for example.

Now that I've typed it, I'm not sure my question will make any sense to those of you NOT inside my head....

Assuming you are running a newer Windows based PC, you might try a standalone DFS root with all the mount points in it, and then have the Roku mount only the DFS share. I'll try it later, and see if the Roku can see it.

chackett

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:42 am

You may be able to use symbolic links on your PC to do the same thing, although organizing it so that it looked nice in the UI might be a little tricky. It's a great way to combine multiple drives into a single share, though.

CaminoFrancisco

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:37 pm

I have been trying to do this for a while now and finally stumbled on what works for me.

Here is what I see on my screen:
    I have no shares down the left side. There is only "Built-in"
    I have all my program links on the "Built-in" page along side "Setup"
    I currently have MPlay, SlimRoku, and MythRoku (all navigation of files is through these programs).
To watch a TV show, I select MythRoku. Similarly, MPlay for a DVD and SlimRoku allows me access to all my music.

SlimRoku and MythRoku don't require any shares, per se, so I will concentrate on my DVD collection.

My DVD collection is spread across 3 servers. In addition the programs themselves are shared from a fourth point.

I start by getting rid of the auto-sharing of "built-in." I don't like seeing it in MPlay. Then I create the mount points and mount the server shares I want access to. Now I do some cleanup of the flash memory by removing any old links and relink my program files. Next, I add target directories, more or less, in a genre fashion, and finally slink all my mounted files into the genre directories. Below is my script to set this all up:

#!/bin/sh

# Remove any existing temporary links
rm /tmp/Volumes/*

# Create Mount Points
mkdir /mnt/smb/shydemon
mkdir /mnt/smb/ultrademon
mkdir /mnt/smb/programs
mkdir /mnt/smb/demonserver-1

# Mount Servers
smbmount //shydemon/DVDs /mnt/smb/shydemon -o username=yourusername,password=yourpassword
smbmount //ultrademon/DVDs /mnt/smb/ultrademon -o password=
smbmount //kitchencomputer/Roku /mnt/smb/programs -o password=
smbmount //demonserver-1/media /mnt/smb/demonserver-1 -o password=

# Remove and rebuild current program links
rm /mnt/flash0/home/*
ln -s /mnt/smb/programs/* /mnt/flash0/home

# Add Target Directories
mkdir /tmp/Volumes/Childrens
mkdir /tmp/Volumes/Keepers
mkdir /tmp/Volumes/New

# make links to our files on UltraDemon
ln -s /mnt/smb/ultrademon/Childrens/* /tmp/Volumes/Childrens
ln -s /mnt/smb/ultrademon/Keeper/* /tmp/Volumes/Keepers
ln -s /mnt/smb/ultrademon/New/* /tmp/Volumes/New

# Make links to our files on ShyDemon
ln -s /mnt/smb/shydemon/Childrens/* /tmp/Volumes/Childrens
ln -s /mnt/smb/shydemon/Keeper/* /tmp/Volumes/Keepers

# Make links to our files on DemonServer-1
ln -s /mnt/smb/demonserver-1/Videos/Childrens/* /tmp/Volumes/Childrens
ln -s /mnt/smb/demonserver-1/Videos/Keeper/* /tmp/Volumes/Keepers

The result is in MPlay all I see is:
    Childrens
    Keepers
    New

When I navigate down one of the 'genre' paths, I see all of the linked files as if they were regular shares.

I hope you find this useful it sure has made my family's enjoyment of the Roku much greater.

BTW, I am (probably obviously) not a scripting wizard. If anyone sees that I am doing something stupid, please join in and help me make this script its best.

Thanks,
Camino
HD1000 Rev "B"

mlknez

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:19 pm

If you are using Windows, you can use a command called mountvol that mounts a harddrive as a subdirectory under another. For instance you could mount your d: drive as c:\videos\myddrive.

Interactive
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:48 pm

Thanks for your help guys! I'm going to look at several of these recommendations. I'll admit that much of this is "over my head" but I'm always willing to give something a try!

Thanks again.

rmh

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:12 am

The old trick is to use the generally forgotton SUBST dos command which will be available under any Dos/Windows system.

Type

SUBST /?

for a help screen, it is REALLY simple and just allows you to "Mount" a drive as a folder.

Hope it helps
Rob
Rob Hunter

mlknez

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:26 am

actually subst does just the opposite. it allows you to mount a directory as a separate drive. not what you were looking for

CaminoFrancisco

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:46 pm

Interactive,

What did you decide on and how is it going?
Camino

HD1000 Rev "B"

Interactive
Topic Author

Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:26 pm

CaminoFrancisco wrote:
Interactive,

What did you decide on and how is it going?

Well, I've been so freaking busy I haven't had a chance to mess with any of this yet.

However, I must also admit that I really don't even know where to begin on running these scripts. Can you forgive my total ignorance and point me to some information on that?

I was able to do all of the share mount options discussed here but none of them did what I'm really looking to do.

I actually did mess around with SDesk a little bit and that seems to be giving me what I'm looking for: an easier UI that my family and friends can operate on their own!!

jayerndl

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:26 pm

CaminoFrancisco wrote:
I have been trying to do this for a while now and finally stumbled on what works for me. ....

Below is my script to set this all up:

This is probably a dumb question but where do you start your script from? Do you run the script at the end of /etc/rc.local? I have been trying to use a smb share swap file (jnstead of CF) and have it available automatically at startup. The swap file works fine if run my script manually but I can't get it to fire off at the right time (after the shares are mounted) during startup. I am a PB novice. Thanks.

Jay

CaminoFrancisco

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:33 pm

jayerndl wrote:
CaminoFrancisco wrote:
I have been trying to do this for a while now and finally stumbled on what works for me. ....

Below is my script to set this all up:

This is probably a dumb question but where do you start your script from? Do you run the script at the end of /etc/rc.local? I have been trying to use a smb share swap file (jnstead of CF) and have it available automatically at startup. The swap file works fine if run my script manually but I can't get it to fire off at the right time (after the shares are mounted) during startup. I am a PB novice. Thanks.

Jay

I actually have an icon for it. The drawback is I have to navigate back over an refresh "built-in" after the script finishes.

As far as running the script automagically, I know there are folks here doing it. Maybe search on scrip and swap. Can't remember where I saw it last. But I know they were using a timer to delay the script until some critical startup stuff finished.

Let me know what you find. :-)
Camino

HD1000 Rev "B"

IlkkaNisula

Mounting multiple disks as one share to roku

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:31 am

Hi,

Interesting topic indeed. I suggest you to use windows mountvol or if file server is linux use ln -s to make one directory structure which is then shared to roku (NFS share or SMB share). This way you dont have to mess up with anything on roku and everything works "automatically" after doing it once for a share.

You can add one .bat file on windows and add it to startup folder. if you needs to remount the directories after restart. If you use share from linux you create the links only once to a shared disks.

Interactive
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:07 am

What I've done for now is the following...

I have two primary media drives (E & F). I use E exclusively for movies and F for movies and some non-Roku related archives (that I don't want to be visible to Roku).

I created a folder on F called My Movies and then a sub folder called Movies 1. Then I used mountvol to create a second subfolder (Movies 2) that points directly to the E drive.

So in subfolder Movies 1, I have all the moveies on drive F and on subfolder Movies 2, I have all of the movies on E. Now when I point MPlay to "My Movies" it starts off with two sub folders. For what it took to get me there, I like this approach and can life with having 2 folders.

My next step, based on several recommendations, is to spend some time with SDesk and get that up and running which may elleviate many of my issues with the UI in the first place!

Thanks again for all of the help here. This forum, and the community of great people, is the only thing that saves the Roku from extinction.