Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jayerndl
Topic Author

WeatherSix Questions/Problems

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:15 am

I have WeatherSix installed and working great except for couple of minor issues.

First, it is not saving my locations. I deleted the default location and added 3 of my own and it was working fine. However after rebooting it was back to the default location. Where does WeatherSix store the locations? BTW, I have WeatherSix located on a smb share.

Second, I belive I am getting the wrong radar images. For example, when I use zip code 32713 the 300 mile map shows South Florida which is not correct. When I look at Weather.com the 600 mile maps on WeatherSix and the web are the same, but the 300 mile maps are different (i.e. the one on the web site is correct and the WeatherSix map is way to far south). Is there something I am doing wrong or is there a way I can specify the proper 300 mile map? Thanks.

Jay

dj7675

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:21 am

As for #1, me too. Great program.--Darin

BJJohns

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:05 pm

What happens if you just add your locations without deleting the default Palo Alto one? After exiting the program and restarting it, do you still only have the one location? Also, what OS version are you running on your PhotoBridge?

I saw a post back at the beginning of the month with the same problem. I responded with something like the following but I never heard if they were ever able to correct the issue. Anyway, here are the details...

The application settings are stored on the Photobridge's own internal flash memory (not on an inserted Flash card or any shared drive) only when the application is shut down normally. The settings are stored in the following location.../mnt/flash0/etc/rokucascade/settings/com.roku.WeatherSix.

If you reboot while the application is running and just after you have defined your locations, this would be one way to duplicate the situation that you are seeing as they would have not been saved yet.

Another way to get into this situation is if you have a version of the OS on a compact flash card with a filename of 'formatup.rok'. And so when you reboot, this version of the OS will get written to the internal memory which will also delete the settings file.

The third way is one that I experienced a LONG time ago. I am no Linux wizard but I believe that if, for whatever reason the OS thinks that it's file system is corrupt during bootup, it will revert to a read only protective mode. This read only mode will prevent the settings from being saved in the internal flash memory file. The only way that I know to correct this situation is to perform the OS reformat option as described earlier by renaming the OS upgrade file to 'formatup.rok'. Again I am no Linux expert but I believe this is what could happen.

Just wondering... When and why are you needing to reboot?

Currently the problem with the 300 mile map not being correct can only be fixed by manually editing the contents of the settings file to specify a different URL for the image file. I will look to see if there is anything I could modify in the code to correct for this situation when you are defining the location.

-BJ

ctdish

Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 pm

I am unable to find this program on the web. Is it still available and can it still be used?
Thanks John

DaMutha

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:06 pm

ctdish wrote:
I am unable to find this program on the web. Is it still available and can it still be used?
Thanks John

I still use it. I found this link with a Google search:

http://www.rokulabs.com/community_3rd_pb.php

If that version doesn't work for some reason, feel free to PM me and I can send you what I have installed.

BJJohns

Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:56 am

Sorry, I recently had to move it to a different server as I am now a Verizon FIOS customer but haven't informed anyone of the change yet.

You can now find it at it's new URL at ... http://mysite.verizon.net/hjohns1/

-BJ Johns

ctdish

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks, I installed it and it works great
John

Burkhardi

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:51 pm

BJJohns wrote:
Sorry, I recently had to move it to a different server as I am now a Verizon FIOS customer but haven't informed anyone of the change yet.

You can now find it at it's new URL at ... http://mysite.verizon.net/hjohns1/

-BJ Johns

Can you update the background zip to the verizon host?
Can the backgrounds be used w/o a swap file on a Rev-B unit?
Thanks for the years of use with your app!
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

BJJohns

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:48 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
Can you update the background zip to the verizon host?
Can the backgrounds be used w/o a swap file on a Rev-B unit?
Thanks for the years of use with your app!

The link for the background images has been corrected...Thanks for reporting the broken link.
Yes, with the additional memory in the Rev-B units, there should be no need for a swap file.

-BJ