Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

NEW!! SlimRoku v1.0beta2 - SlimServer based music player

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:33 pm

I'm proud to announce version 1.0beta2 of SlimRoku!

This new version requires SlimServer 6.2 or higher.

Most notable enhancements in this version are:
  • Synchronization with SoftSqueeze and other instances of SlimRoku!
  • Support for 16kHz and 20kHz sample rates in audio streams
  • Genre browsing in Internet Radio dialog
SlimRoku Features:
  • Music library browsing by artist, album, genre, cover art, and folder
  • Full support for both dynamic and static playlists
  • Internet Radio browser
  • Cover art support
  • Song or Playlist repeat
  • Playlist shuffle by song or album
  • Built-in song information screensaver
  • Ability to hide the application so it's possible to run other applications while listening to music
  • Ability to synchronize with SoftSqueeze and the Slim Devices SqueezeBox
  • Automatic SlimServer discovery
  • Library searching (via the emulated SqueezeBox interface)
  • Support for 16kHz and 20kHz sample rates in audio streams
Updates in this version:
  • Added ability to synchronize with SoftSqueeze (and potentially the Slim Devices SqueezeBox)
  • Added Genres to Internet Radio Browser
  • Added SlimDevices Picks list to Internet Radio Browser
  • Added support for 16kHz and 22kHz audio
  • Added song info dialog to Music Library window
  • Optimized functionality in Internet Radio Browser
  • Added -RepeatMode, -ShuffleMode, and -PlaylistId command-line parameters
  • Added -SSTransport and -UseXMLInLibrary command-line parameters
  • Added -SlimCLIPort and -SlimWebPort command-line parameters
  • Added -LargeCoverArt command-line parameter
  • Added Clear Playlist button to Playlist Options menu in Now Playing
  • Increased timeout on Music Library screen to make scrolling easier
  • Fixed a repaint bug in the Now Playing screen
  • Fixed a scrolling bug in the Browse Folder screen
  • Redesigned bitmap handling to allow for easier skinning
There are still some outstanding issues.. and some new ones...
Known Issues:
  • Sporadic behavior while SlimServer is building the library
  • Synchronization has been tested and works with SoftSqueeze 2.0. Other versions of SoftSqueeze may not synchronize correctly.
  • Due to the incomplete SqueezeBox emulation in the SoundBridge, synchronization may not be possible between SlimRoku and the Roku SoundBridge (sorry Burkhardi!).
Special Notes:
  • In order for SlimRoku to work properly, you'll need to make sure the following ports are open:
    • 3483 UDP - SlimServer discovery
    • 3483 TCP - SlimServer communication
    • 9000 TCP - Audio stream playback and cover art display
    • 9090 TCP - Music library access
    SlimRoku is still an alpha/beta release. There are plenty of bugs, so please don't be discouraged if you run across something. Your feedback is essential to making SlimRoku more stable.
You can download the new version here: http://www.permanence.com/SlimRoku/file ... 0beta2.zip
Please refer to the included ReadMe.txt file for more information.

Screenshots (click an image to see a full size version):
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

As always, I look forward to your questions, comments, and suggestions!

TheEndless
Last edited by TheEndless on Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:36 pm

I've also updated the Wood theme and created a new Brushed Metal theme. I will try to get these up later this evening.

Enjoy!

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:38 pm

NOTE: With 1.0beta2 and above, this is no longer necessary. To change skins in the newer versions, press Info on the Now Playing screen and change the skin selection on the dialog that opens.

Ok. I've posted the new skins. If you've already downloaded v1.0beta, please re-download it as I had to make some changes to accomodate the new skins.

You can download the skins here: http://www.permanence.com/SlimRoku/file ... uSkins.zip

Once downloaded, extract the zip to the same folder as SlimRoku, maintaining the folder structure and overwriting the "configuration.xml" file when prompted. After you have extracted the files, you will need to edit the "configuration.xml" file and specify which skin you'd like to use. To do so, open the file in your favorite text editor and change the selectedskin line from:
<selectedskin name="Default"/>
to
<selectedskin name="Wood"/>
to specify the Wood skin or
<selectedskin name="BrushedMetal"/>
to specify the Brushed Metal skin. Save the file and launch SlimRoku.

A couple of previews (click for full size):

Wood Skin

Brushed Metal Skin

TheEndless
Last edited by TheEndless on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

tjdebon

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:29 am

is it okay to delete radiocover.jpg and noimage.jpg? pngs exist.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:57 am

tjdebon wrote:

No. The app uses the jpegs now, because the Cascade API provides a method for scaling them unlike the PNGs (NOTE: nocover_smaller.png and radiocover_smaller.png are still necessary for mini-mode). The whole images folder has been reorganized, so the best thing would probably be to delete any existing files before unzipping the new build, otherwise you're going to end up with a lot of orphaned files (such as your nocover and radiocover pngs).

EDIT: I didn't realize why you were asking this until Coldspring pointed it out below. The .JPGs have now been replaced with .THMs, so they won't show up in the Roku UI.

TheEndless
Last edited by TheEndless on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

chackett

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:38 am

Yow! 1.0! Can't wait to try this out.

Did you by any chance put the extra buffering that you had mentioned into this version? I'm curious to try it out with Slimserver running on my mac to see if it solved the issue I'm having there. Everything's working great now that I'm running Slimserver on my PC; I just like to tinker :wink:
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:52 am

chackett wrote:
Yow! 1.0! Can't wait to try this out.

Did you by any chance put the extra buffering that you had mentioned into this version? I'm curious to try it out with Slimserver running on my mac to see if it solved the issue I'm having there. Everything's working great now that I'm running Slimserver on my PC; I just like to tinker :wink:

Yep, it's in there. It was required to get the synchronization working properly, so I didn't add it to the list as a separate bullet point.

TheEndless

Coldspring

Radio coverand noimage .jpg

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:22 am

[quote="tjdebon"]is it okay to delete radiocover.jpg and noimage.jpg? pngs exist.[/quote]

As it stands right now these two file cause the Roku Browse and Slideshow appications to come up in the share.

I have my shares set up so that only applications show up in the applications share. I have a differnt share for my photo media. These two file cause two additional application to show up that I do not want to see in my application share. I have to navigate around them to get to the applications I want to use. Is there some way around this problem?

aceface

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:02 am

Endless - been looking forward to the 1.0 release, thanks! So far so good with my previous issue of "not able to scroll thru artists/genre without Slimserver crashing" see thread http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... &start=150

I haven't made any changes to my sound system but one thing i noticed was a considerable loss of playback volume, would Slimserver effect that???
SOLD!! ROKU rev.A w/swap card w/rewired PSU
XBOX360
SONY 3000ES Digital Receiver
SONY 37" Plasma
Ethernet & Wi-Fi Network
Verizon FiOs
WIN XP & MAC OS X
Buffalo Technologies Link Station server

aceface

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:13 am

aceface wrote:
I haven't made any changes to my sound system but one thing i noticed was a considerable loss of playback volume, would Slimserver effect that???

never mind found the problem, sorry for any inconvenience. :oops:

XBOX360

SONY 37" Plasma

Ethernet & Wi-Fi Network

Verizon FiOs

WIN XP & MAC OS X

TheEndless
Topic Author

Re: Radio coverand noimage .jpg

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:24 am

Coldspring wrote:
tjdebon wrote:

As it stands right now these two file cause the Roku Browse and Slideshow appications to come up in the share.

I have my shares set up so that only applications show up in the applications share. I have a differnt share for my photo media. These two file cause two additional application to show up that I do not want to see in my application share. I have to navigate around them to get to the applications I want to use. Is there some way around this problem?

Oops! I hadn't considered that. I've uploaded a new release (same link) that uses the names nocover.thm and radiocover.thm instead of .jpg. This new build also addresses the two bugs you reported in your other thread. Sorry about that!

TheEndless

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:30 am

aceface wrote:
Endless - been looking forward to the 1.0 release, thanks! So far so good with my previous issue of "not able to scroll thru artists/genre without Slimserver crashing" see thread http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... &start=150

Are you using the new -UseXMLInLibrary command-line flag (it was added to deal specifically with your situation) or did it just automagically start working with the new version?

TheEndless

aceface

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:16 am

TheEndless wrote:
Are you using the new -UseXMLInLibrary command-line flag (it was added to deal specifically with your situation) or did it just automagically start working with the new version?

TheEndless

If you're asking me did i input the command-line flag?? no i did not (is that for slimserver or slimroku?), if it was added to 1.0 I do appreciate your time & energy addressing my situation, thank you.
It seems that 1.0 is running smoother all around. I am having instances of SlimRoku freezing up - scrolling through artist/genre & album lists and accessing some radio stations - but not crashing the SlimServer. I can be more specific, but not wanting to waste your time I want to give 1.0 a good test run then come back with any quirks in one post. Hope that works for you.

XBOX360

SONY 37" Plasma

Ethernet & Wi-Fi Network

Verizon FiOs

WIN XP & MAC OS X

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:37 am

aceface wrote:
If you're asking me did i input the command-line flag?? no i did not (is that for slimserver or slimroku?), if it was added to 1.0 I do appreciate your time & energy addressing my situation, thank you.
It seems that 1.0 is running smoother all around. I am having instances of SlimRoku freezing up - scrolling through artist/genre & album lists and accessing some radio stations - but not crashing the SlimServer. I can be more specific, but not wanting to waste your time I want to give 1.0 a good test run then come back with any quirks in one post. Hope that works for you.

It's a command-line flag for SlimRoku. If you're not crashing, then no need to worry with it. Perhaps I fixed the real issue somewhere else in my tinkering. As for compiling all of your issues into a single post, that'd be the preferable way to do it. That way I don't have to go back through the thread looking for everything.

My wife and I are leaving for England this evening. We'll be gone for two weeks, so I'll not be able to do any more work with SlimRoku until I get back. Hopefully 1.0beta will be stable enough for everyone until then!

TheEndless

Bgrubb1

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:38 pm

1.0 is working well for me including the command line option to auto start playlists etc, thanks again Endless. I do seem to have one issue that I never experienced before where my cover art occasionally gets behind (up to a full song). Has anyone else experienced by any chance ?? I't could be my server, but I wouldn't think so.
..Barry