CascadeVizSharedData assert failed on line 358
CascadeVizSharedData assert failed on line 499
CascadeVizSharedData assert failed on line 486
CascadeVizSharedData assert failed on line 391
CascadeVizSharedData assert failed on line 486
CascadeVizSharedData assert failed on line 358

This is from the latest version downloadable running on 2.0.35 Rev A with swap file.

That's actually a Cascade issue, not a SlimRoku one. They've apparently left some debug code in the new visualization stuff they added in the 2.0.34 SDK. As far as I can tell, it's strictly an "informative" message and not an indication of a real problem. Nothing to worry about.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

swingnstar

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:47 pm

I have two questions about slimroku.

1) Where is the switch to make slimroku erase the playlist whenever it starts? It isn't a command-line switch apparently. I thought I saw it in the slimserver configuration pages, but can't find it any more.

2) Screensaver problem. When the slimroku is playing audio files in the background and I am running photo slideshows, the screen saver kicks in and I have to hit a key to get back to the slide show.
This doesn't happen if I am viewing a slide show without audio or using Sonata. Is there a way to let slimserver do the screensaver if it is in the foreground but not if it is in the background?
Alternatively, is there a way to let the system screensaver unimpeded by slimroku?

Thank you,
Gary

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:08 pm

swingnstar wrote:
I have two questions about slimroku.

1) Where is the switch to make slimroku erase the playlist whenever it starts? It isn't a command-line switch apparently. I thought I saw it in the slimserver configuration pages, but can't find it any more.

Via the SlimServer web interface, select the player settings for your PhotoBridge, then select Audio. Under "Power On Resume" you can select "Stop at power off / Reset playlist at power on". That should accomplish what you want.

swingnstar wrote:
2) Screensaver problem. When the slimroku is playing audio files in the background and I am running photo slideshows, the screen saver kicks in and I have to hit a key to get back to the slide show.
This doesn't happen if I am viewing a slide show without audio or using Sonata. Is there a way to let slimserver do the screensaver if it is in the foreground but not if it is in the background?
Alternatively, is there a way to let the system screensaver unimpeded by slimroku?

Not currently. The screensaver is either on or off. I like the idea, though. I'll see if I can add it into the next release. In the meantime, you could disable the screensaver (by specifying -Screensaver=0 on the command line), then manually activate the screensaver from the Now Playing screen by pressing Select.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

swingnstar

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, TheEndless. I'll try that with the screensaver. It is a little worrisome that I'll wander off and leave slimroku active.

Re: the playlist. I do already have slimserver set to "Stop at power off / Reset playlist at power on." I tried choosing another option and then setting it back to this, then restarting slimroku again, but no joy.

I know I had it working for awhile where it would clear the playlist on startup of slimroku. :(

swingnstar

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 pm

I've searched for this one, but can't find the answer.

Is it possible to setup slimroku to connect to slimserver if you are using a username and password? I am thinking of streaming via slimserver to my work computer, but don't want to offer the device up to the whole internet. ;)

I know I can allow connections by only certain IP addresses, but would like to add even more security.

cuzina

Question about playlists

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Is there anything special that is needed to play playlists. I have saved some playlists and pointed slim server to the location. They don't show up in SlimRoku when I select playlist. I can see them when I browse using the folders option but I can not play them. I save the playlists from Winamp as m3u I think.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:58 pm

swingnstar wrote:
I've searched for this one, but can't find the answer.

Is it possible to setup slimroku to connect to slimserver if you are using a username and password? I am thinking of streaming via slimserver to my work computer, but don't want to offer the device up to the whole internet. ;)

I know I can allow connections by only certain IP addresses, but would like to add even more security.

No. Unfortunately, adding username/password functionality is no trivial task. I'll look into it a bit further, but it's unlikely it will be in the next version.

TheEndless

TheEndless
Topic Author

Re: Question about playlists

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:01 pm

cuzina wrote:
Is there anything special that is needed to play playlists. I have saved some playlists and pointed slim server to the location. They don't show up in SlimRoku when I select playlist. I can see them when I browse using the folders option but I can not play them. I save the playlists from Winamp as m3u I think.

The only requirement is that SlimServer can see/read them. After adding the playlists, you will need to tell SlimServer to do a rescan via the web interface (Server Settings->Rescan Music Library->Only rescan playlists). Once you've done that, if they show up in the web interface, they should be available in SlimRoku.

[edit]
You may also want to take a look at this post I made awhile back before using the WinAmp playlists. There is a minor annoyance with them: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... 1776#31776
[/edit]

TheEndless

SimonO

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:03 am

I don't get those Roku OS Friday feelings anymore :cry:, but I'm feeling it for SlimRoku :D !!!
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

zephyr

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:54 pm

I played with SlimRoku 1.0b2 on 2.0.36 firmware. Here are my observations. I use SlimRoku with a SlimServer running on a Buffalo LinkStation. Nearly all of my music is 192kbps CBR MP3 files. My network is completly wired Ethernet.

My criteria for any technical product is the WAF: Wife Acceptance Factor. The good news is that this is far more easily achieved than the MAF: "Mother Acceptance Factor".

1. I regularly experience situations where SlimRoku usage causes the Roku AND the SlimServer to lockup. This happens more often than I would like. Requires reboot of Roku and restart of the SlimServer process. How can I give more information to help eradicate this problem?

2. The Music Library is too complicated and too slow to surf through the 8000+ tracks I have from 800+ compact discs. Navigating it with a remote control when it refreshes multiple panes after most button presses makes it unusable to most people. I have the understanding of the way it works and why it might be slow. However, for the wife it becomes "Slim Roku jail". I'd appreciate a command line switch to hide this feature from the software --- including the menu. Either that or a way to make it more usable.

3. I want other cover art behavior for Now Playing and the screensaver. If the MP3 does not have embedded cover art, there should be an option to have SlimRoku automatically show the Folder.jpg that exists in the same directory as the MP3 file. Perhaps even a option to ALWAYS use the Folder.jpg file and only use the embedded cover art from the MP3 file when there is no Folder.jpg. This would be very useful for us who've sorted our music into folders per album.

4. Some menus need a more obvious way to go back to the previous functionality. Example: pressing Exit produces the Exit menu with choices for "Exit" and "Hide". How to back out of this isn't obvious. Pressing the exit button to "not exit" from here is syntactically troublesome. Maybe a third choice labeled similarly to "cancel". Evaluate this dilemma with other dialogs (such as the "Manage Playlist") to see if this flavor of comment applies.

5. I use the Roku with a Home Theater Master remote control. This works VERY well. However, I have buttons available that the Roku doesn't have on its native remote control that I think would be helpful. I know the Roku understands other Remote Codes (User 1 through User 8 and Repeat 1 through Repeat 6) that do not appear on its native remote. It would be helpful if SlimRoku should recognize other Remote Codes for improved functionality. One thing that comes to mind is the ability to spell song and artist names using the number keys much like a telephone (like Tegic, T9, or "touch-tone equivalence"). In that way the "2" key on a remote control could be mapped to a "User 1" and interpreted as the letters associated with a 2 on a telephone keypad, "ABC". Here's the complete mapping:
Roku Remote Code = Button Number = "Letters"
User 1 = 2 = "ABC";
User 2 = 3 = "DEF";
User 3 = 4 = "GHI";
User 4 = 5 = "JKL";
User 5 = 6 = "MNO";
User 6 = 7 = "PQRS";
User 7 = 8 = "TUV";
User 8 = 9 = "WXYZ";

I'm sure we can come up with other creative uses for the extra remote codes in modes other than the LCD search mode.

6. Emulating the SlimServer LCD does not necessarily make a good HDTV-based user interface. First of all, it's too small. One thing that's befuddled some of my family is the inability to know where to direct your attention when operating the LCD interface. Perhaps there should be a focus around the LCD or the contents be color coded or items above or below should be overlaid on adjacent screen area.

7. With SlimRoku running, I telnet to the Roku and do "ps -ef | grep -i slim" and 11 entries show up. I imagine this is for the main threads and some worker threads, rather than just a single process. Is this correct behavior? I imagine so.

8. Does SlimRoku perform automatic Volume Normalization?

9. We like the screensaver. Too bad it interrupts picture/slideshow mode. This is not a new finding and has been reported by others. Maybe we can separate this from "Slim Roku" itself and make it a screensaver module like RokuClock, LogoBounce, or Helix.

10. We like the "Wood" theme. The Brushed Metal is too "monotone" for our tastes. It makes our TV seem like a "black and white". The default theme is initially impressive but becomes too busy and tiresome on these older eyes. Maybe we should have a SlimRoku theme design contest?

11. The SlimRoku web site doesn't say which firmware each SlimRoku version has been built for. Are there builds of SlimRoku with 1.5.18 should I go back to my "officially supported" firmware?

12. I did not notice any changes when using the "UseLargeFont" option.

-zephyr

TheEndless
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:15 am

Wow... ok, well let's give this a shot..

zephyr wrote:
1. I regularly experience situations where SlimRoku usage causes the Roku AND the SlimServer to lockup. This happens more often than I would like. Requires reboot of Roku and restart of the SlimServer process. How can I give more information to help eradicate this problem?

There is a debug flag that can be set that will generate a debug.txt file in the same folder as SlimRoku. If you could enable this and email me the generated file after a lockup, it would help considerably in pin-pointing the issue. Remember that this is released as a beta version, so there are bound to be some bugs left in there.

zephyr wrote:
2. The Music Library is too complicated and too slow to surf through the 8000+ tracks I have from 800+ compact discs. Navigating it with a remote control when it refreshes multiple panes after most button presses makes it unusable to most people. I have the understanding of the way it works and why it might be slow. However, for the wife it becomes "Slim Roku jail". I'd appreciate a command line switch to hide this feature from the software --- including the menu. Either that or a way to make it more usable.

My music library has over 15000 tracks, and I have no problem navigating the music library interface. It is presented in an iTunes style filtering mode in order to make it easier to use. Reloading of the individual lists only occurs if you pause on a list item for a period of time (I can't recall of the top of my head what that delay is, but i think it's around 3/4 of a second). Reloading of the different lists also only occurs if you change the selected item, so if you highlight the "All" option in the current list, no reloading will occur as you page through that list (as the All option is on every page). Each list is filtered based on your current selection, so a reload has to occur at some point. Perhaps the solution is to make the delay configurable. This has been discussed previously in this or other SlimRoku threads.

zephyr wrote:
3. I want other cover art behavior for Now Playing and the screensaver. If the MP3 does not have embedded cover art, there should be an option to have SlimRoku automatically show the Folder.jpg that exists in the same directory as the MP3 file. Perhaps even a option to ALWAYS use the Folder.jpg file and only use the embedded cover art from the MP3 file when there is no Folder.jpg. This would be very useful for us who've sorted our music into folders per album.

This is how I have my music organize and is exactly how it does work, based on SlimServer's rules (refer to the SlimServer web interface, Server Settings->Interface->Artwork). Your settings in SlimServer determine where the cover art comes from, and folder.jpg should be used by default. If you have cover art that is not showing up, it's more likely that SlimRoku isn't displaying it because it's not in a compatible PhotoBridge format. Take a look at this thread for more information: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4106

zephyr wrote:
4. Some menus need a more obvious way to go back to the previous functionality. Example: pressing Exit produces the Exit menu with choices for "Exit" and "Hide". How to back out of this isn't obvious. Pressing the exit button to "not exit" from here is syntactically troublesome. Maybe a third choice labeled similarly to "cancel". Evaluate this dilemma with other dialogs (such as the "Manage Playlist") to see if this flavor of comment applies.

The remote works the same in all dialogs. Exit always closes/cancels the dialog. Perhaps it would make more sense to change the verbiage on the exit dialog to "Close" or "Quit" instead to avoid confusion. While adding a "Cancel" button to every dialog is possible, it would require a considerable amount of work to rearrange and redesign each dialog to accomodate the new button.

zephyr wrote:
5. I use the Roku with a Home Theater Master remote control. This works VERY well. However, I have buttons available that the Roku doesn't have on its native remote control that I think would be helpful. I know the Roku understands other Remote Codes (User 1 through User 8 and Repeat 1 through Repeat 6) that do not appear on its native remote. It would be helpful if SlimRoku should recognize other Remote Codes for improved functionality. One thing that comes to mind is the ability to spell song and artist names using the number keys much like a telephone (like Tegic, T9, or "touch-tone equivalence"). In that way the "2" key on a remote control could be mapped to a "User 1" and interpreted as the letters associated with a 2 on a telephone keypad, "ABC". Here's the complete mapping:
Roku Remote Code = Button Number = "Letters"
User 1 = 2 = "ABC";
User 2 = 3 = "DEF";
User 3 = 4 = "GHI";
User 4 = 5 = "JKL";
User 5 = 6 = "MNO";
User 6 = 7 = "PQRS";
User 7 = 8 = "TUV";
User 8 = 9 = "WXYZ";

I'm sure we can come up with other creative uses for the extra remote codes in modes other than the LCD search mode.

This is certainly possible. I personally don't have a remote that has the extra codes, so I've never had the need for this functionality. At the same time, anytime anyone (SimonO :P) has requested support for one of the extended codes, I've added it. I'll look into adding this in the next version.

zephyr wrote:
6. Emulating the SlimServer LCD does not necessarily make a good HDTV-based user interface. First of all, it's too small. One thing that's befuddled some of my family is the inability to know where to direct your attention when operating the LCD interface. Perhaps there should be a focus around the LCD or the contents be color coded or items above or below should be overlaid on adjacent screen area.

As I've mentioned in the past, I have no control over the LCD beyond displaying it. SlimServer sends me a list of pixels to turn on and off. I have no other indication of what is actually on the display, so there's no way for me to sync it with anything else. It's also not intended to be the main interface.. that's what the rest of SlimRoku is there for. It's just there as a nifty little feature and a quick nav for simpler tasks.

zephyr wrote:
7. With SlimRoku running, I telnet to the Roku and do "ps -ef | grep -i slim" and 11 entries show up. I imagine this is for the main threads and some worker threads, rather than just a single process. Is this correct behavior? I imagine so.

Yes, there can be any number of threads running in the background for SlimRoku dependent on which screen you're currently on. I plan to optimize this further in future versions.

zephyr wrote:
8. Does SlimRoku perform automatic Volume Normalization?

Not currently. SlimServer recently added ReplayGain support, so it is on my list of things to look into.

zephyr wrote:
10. We like the "Wood" theme. The Brushed Metal is too "monotone" for our tastes. It makes our TV seem like a "black and white". The default theme is initially impressive but becomes too busy and tiresome on these older eyes. Maybe we should have a SlimRoku theme design contest?

Go for it! ;)

zephyr wrote:
11. The SlimRoku web site doesn't say which firmware each SlimRoku version has been built for. Are there builds of SlimRoku with 1.5.18 should I go back to my "officially supported" firmware?

SlimRoku only works on 2.0.34 and higher. I didn't realize that info was missing from the website. I'll add it.

zephyr wrote:
12. I did not notice any changes when using the "UseLargeFont" option.

How did you specify it? It should be "-UseLargeFont" in the SlimRoku.roku file. Easiest way to see if it worked is to check the Music Library screen. If the larger font is being used, each of the filter lists with only have 5 items in them. If the smaller font is being used, there will be 6 items in each list.

zephy wrote:
-zephyr

Although I'm sure you didn't intend for it (and it's probably just the way I'm reading it), the tone of your posting reads a bit harsh. Please accept my apologies if any of that harshness carries over into my responses. While I appreciate and value your input, please do remember that SlimRoku is something I've developed in (a lot of) my free time. It is not something I get paid for, nor is it something you have to pay for to use. In fact, the only compensation I receive for SlimRoku are the compliments and comments I get here and the occassional PayPal donation via the website, so please be a bit less critical with your evaluation...

TheEndless

satz

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:02 pm

SlimRoku is great! Thanks for writing it and sharing it with us. It makes the Roku platform so much better.

stang2112

Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:49 pm

SlimRoku is great! Thanks for writing it and sharing it with us. It makes the Roku platform so much better.

I Agree. THANKS ENDLESS
Roku HD1000 Rev. B (2.0.36)
Bose "Lifestyle 35"
Mitsubishi "Medallion" WS65311 HD Projection
Philips DVD DVP642/37
Windows Vista Home Premium - Wired Network

zephyr

Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:25 pm

TheEndless,

I did not intend to be overly critical or harsh. SlimRoku and MPlay are phenomenal attempts beyond the standard Roku software. We use MPlay all the time. I need to iron out why the lockups of SlimRoku and Slim Server occur in my network. Perhaps my list of issues/suggestions was bent by the lockup I experienced before I wrote it.

I've praised your efforts and said thanks in other threads.

Also...thanks for the pointers in turning my Linkstation into a SlimServer. I hope it's performance (or lack thereof) isn't negatively biasing this conversation.

1. I'll turn on debug and share what I collect.

2. My wife gets stuck in the Music Library. I'd use it but it seems too awkward at the moment. I understand the way it works. I agree that there's some value to making configurable the "recalculating" 0.75 second delay. Also...perhaps there is utility to reacting to the User1 - User8 remote codes while in the Music Library --- say pressing 5 (User 4 in my mapping) once skips to the artist/song/genre that begins with a J, 5 again goes to K, a third 5 goes to L, another 5 goes back to J, pressing 7 (user 6) once goes to P, etc.

3. I'll try some experiments with the presence/absence of folder.jpg to assure myself of the way the cover art feature works. I'll look at the SlimServer settings to see if playing with those will increase my happiness.

4. Just a "syntactical" oddity, like the press "save" to delete that I've seen in other software. Here we are pressing "exit" to "not exit". Human factors issue. I agree, adding a cancel button is of low priority.

5. (Made you smile.) Maybe SimonO and I will contribute a programmable remote to your efforts?!?!

6. I wasn't up on past conversations on the LCD.

7. The 11 processes/threads was just an observation.

8. I'm for Volume Normalization if possible.

9. Screensaver interrupting slideshows was discussed in another thread. Identified there as future consideration.

10. (Made you smile.) Maybe I'll make a theme if I can think of something less nerdy than the ubiquitous "Star Trek" look.

11. You're adding notice of the firmware versions to the website. Sounds like I cannot go back to 1.5.18 and keep SlimRoku.

12. I think I have it as you say. I'll check my shell program and the number of items on the screen. Maybe I was looking for a bigger change than what actually occurs.

I made you smile twice. If I had my way, Roku would pay you commission for the boxes sold just because of your apps....and include your efforts into their next generation product. However, since the PB broke the trail, it probably will not have a "next generation".

I like SlimRoku for (a) the cover art screensaver, (b) once it begins a playlist it can play it randomly and indefinitely, and (c) the ability to create a temporary or permanent playlist without involving a computer.

The emulation of the Squeezebox itself is irrelevant to me although others might care. I prefer to stay away from itunes although I occasionally buy a song.

My chief concerns are lockups and the usability of certain features such as the Music Library and the cover art browser. Slowness, perhaps caused by something particular to my environment or equipment, causes me to want to disable those features for my ease of providing "tech support" to the rest of my family.

I'd be creating a Roku application if my job and my family didn't consume all my time. I'm similarly defensive of my creations. Endless, I do appreciate your efforts and understand the opportunity cost to create somethng like SlimRoku while----even more impressive --- promptly responding to posts like this.

zephyr

rgwirtz

Slimserver issues

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:18 am

I want to thank TheEndless for his terrific support of both SlimRoku and mplay. Mplay works like a charm, but I'm still having issues with SlimRoku, and I think it has to do with Slimserver.

I'm using Mac OSx 10.4 (Tiger), and the Roku occassionally locks up (almost always when browsing the music library). When I go to look at the mac server, usually the slimserver has stopped being responsive (though shows as running in the control panel). I have slimserver set to use itunes. I've tried to stop it from rescanning the iTunes library (value set to 0), but no luck. If I wipe the cache and rescan the library (6k+ songs) usually slimroku works for a while then loses out again, but the rescan takes a long time.

The app is so cool, and I feel like I'm so close to nirvana (pics, movies and music on one device that even my wife can use!). Any suggestions?

Could it have to do with static vs. dynamic IP on the server / roku?
Could it have to do with the presence of m4p (ITMS) files in my library?

Another question: If I reset my Roku w/ button press on the device after a lock up, do I need to reload the FLAC and AAC libraries (sorry if this is OT).

Thanks again TheEndless for making this device cool and usable.