Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chackett

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:26 am

chackett wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
chackett wrote:
Yow! 1.0! Can't wait to try this out.

Did you by any chance put the extra buffering that you had mentioned into this version? I'm curious to try it out with Slimserver running on my mac to see if it solved the issue I'm having there. Everything's working great now that I'm running Slimserver on my PC; I just like to tinker :wink:

Yep, it's in there. It was required to get the synchronization working properly, so I didn't add it to the list as a separate bullet point.

TheEndless

Nope, no dice; the pauses are still there when I'm running SlimServer on my mac. Oh well; I got the PC for programming some of my AV equipment anyways. This way I'm using it all of the time instead of just occasionally :D

Well, I decided to try this again recently, and now I'm able to stream files as FLAC from SlimServer on my mac. Don't know if SlimServer has been updated, if there's a new version of SlimRoku with more buffering (I can't remember when the last update came out), or if OS X 10.4.5 perhaps fixed something that was broken, but it's working great now. Yipee!

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with my free time now that everything's working on the Roku :wink:
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

daviseh

SlimRoku

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:36 pm

For me, Slimroku is best front end music player for the HD1000. However, I did not want to leave the PC on 24/7 to run slimserver so I ordered a Kurobox.

Being new to Linux, it has been a challenge to get it configured but it is up and running. On the PC I never lost shares but I do on the Kurobox. Also, Slimserver stops running and I have to restart.

A couple of questions.

Is there somehting unique to Linux that I need to do to keep from losing the shares? Is there a way for Slimroku to start, stop and restart slimserver?

Thanks for the great software that enhances the HD1000. I hope I can get the Kurobox working with Slimroku.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: SlimRoku

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:54 pm

daviseh wrote:
For me, Slimroku is best front end music player for the HD1000. However, I did not want to leave the PC on 24/7 to run slimserver so I ordered a Kurobox.

Being new to Linux, it has been a challenge to get it configured but it is up and running. On the PC I never lost shares but I do on the Kurobox. Also, Slimserver stops running and I have to restart.

A couple of questions.

Is there somehting unique to Linux that I need to do to keep from losing the shares? Is there a way for Slimroku to start, stop and restart slimserver?

Thanks for the great software that enhances the HD1000. I hope I can get the Kurobox working with Slimroku.

I'm afraid I'm no linux guru, either, so I can't really help you there.

As for starting and stopping SlimServer. SlimServer has to be running in order for SlimRoku to do anything with it. I can issue it a stop command, but once it's stopped there's no way for me to control it any longer.

Does SlimServer stop when it's idle, or while you're using SlimRoku? If the former, it may be worthwhile doing a search/posting on the SlimDevices forums to see if anyone else has the same problem with the Kurobox. If the latter, there may be an issue with SlimRoku...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

daviseh

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:56 pm

Endless -

I found a post about losing shares with a Dlink router and changed from short to long preamble and that fixed the issue of losing shares.

Slimserver stopped independent of Slimroku so the problem lies elsewhere.

I think if I can figure out how to create a startup script for the Kurobox it will solve the problem. There are scripts for Gentoo and Debian but not for the standard Kuro system. I have tired tweaking them but with no luck.

So my options are to run slimserver on the PC or use Listen on the HD1000 to play the MP3's on the Kurobox. For me, the Listen interface is not as good as Slimroku plus the wavy line is annoying!

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:23 pm

daviseh wrote:
Endless -

I found a post about losing shares with a Dlink router and changed from short to long preamble and that fixed the issue of losing shares.

Slimserver stopped independent of Slimroku so the problem lies elsewhere.

I think if I can figure out how to create a startup script for the Kurobox it will solve the problem. There are scripts for Gentoo and Debian but not for the standard Kuro system. I have tired tweaking them but with no luck.

So my options are to run slimserver on the PC or use Listen on the HD1000 to play the MP3's on the Kurobox. For me, the Listen interface is not as good as Slimroku plus the wavy line is annoying!

If you haven't tried it already, you might want to give Sonica a try. It doesn't require a server, and has many of the features that are available in SlimRoku: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6241

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

chackett

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:51 pm

I just found a wierd bug that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet: if I scroll through the artists (on the "Browse Music Library" screen) in the forward direction (ie starting at "A" and progressing towards "Z"), everything is fine. If, however, I scroll backwards instead, the application hangs up at the "Please wait" dialog and never displays any of the album or song info. It happens every time.

Let me know if you need any additional information and I'll send it along.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

Home Theater Master MX-3000

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:14 pm

chackett wrote:
I just found a wierd bug that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet: if I scroll through the artists (on the "Browse Music Library" screen) in the forward direction (ie starting at "A" and progressing towards "Z"), everything is fine. If, however, I scroll backwards instead, the application hangs up at the "Please wait" dialog and never displays any of the album or song info. It happens every time.

I'm in the process of working on a new version. Hopefully it will address this issue. Unfortunately, I'm going out of town for a week, so I won't have the opportunity to work on it further until I get back...

TheEndless

Troy Pauline

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:25 am

HELP!!! All of a sudden SlimRoku is playing all my files in alphabetical order only, when accessed via the Music Library. When I search for music via the SqueezeBox interface from the main page they are in order and play correctly. When I select music from the SlimServer on the PC directly everything is also sorted correctly. But no matter what I do now, selecting music from the Music Library automatically sorts them alphabetically. I’ve been using SlimRoku for a long time now with no problems and am at a loss as to what’s happened.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:56 am

Troy Pauline wrote:
HELP!!! All of a sudden SlimRoku is playing all my files in alphabetical order only, when accessed via the Music Library. When I search for music via the SqueezeBox interface from the main page they are in order and play correctly. When I select music from the SlimServer on the PC directly everything is also sorted correctly. But no matter what I do now, selecting music from the Music Library automatically sorts them alphabetically. I’ve been using SlimRoku for a long time now with no problems and am at a loss as to what’s happened.

In order to add the songs in track order, you need to make sure an album is selected in the album list. Odd thing is, you're like the 3rd or 4th person that has reported a similar problem. If you still can't get it to work, perhaps a full rescan of your music library will help.. ?

TheEndless

Troy Pauline

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:53 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Troy Pauline wrote:

In order to add the songs in track order, you need to make sure an album is selected in the album list. Odd thing is, you're like the 3rd or 4th person that has reported a similar problem. If you still can't get it to work, perhaps a full rescan of your music library will help.. ?

TheEndless

Thanks for the quick reply...I am selecting an album from the album list. This has been working perfectly for many many months now. That's why it's so odd. I have SlimServer set up to rescan every midnight, but I'll delete the current database and do a full rescan and let you know what happens.

Troy Pauline

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:04 pm

Troy Pauline wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
Troy Pauline wrote:

TheEndless

Thanks for the quick reply...I am selecting an album from the album list. This has been working perfectly for many many months now. That's why it's so odd. I have SlimServer set up to rescan every midnight, but I'll delete the current database and do a full rescan and let you know what happens.

OK...completly deleting and recreating the cache database seems to have corrected the problem. Whew! I wonder what caused it to freak out with SR but work with everything else? Anyway, thanks again for the help...but more so for such and awesome app!!!

SimonO

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:44 am

TheEndless wrote:
chackett wrote:

I'm in the process of working on a new version. Hopefully it will address this issue. Unfortunately, I'm going out of town for a week, so I won't have the opportunity to work on it further until I get back...

TheEndless

Any news on a new version release..?
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:33 am

SimonO wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
chackett wrote:

TheEndless

Any news on a new version release..?

Hopefully later today. Unfortunately my web host appears to be down at the moment, so I can't post anything until they come back up. I guess I'll use the downtime to do some more testing...

TheEndless

SimonO

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:17 am

Great news, I'm still using your software daily :D ...
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

FoxKat

Pandora (or anything on your soundcard) to your SoundBridge!

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:44 am

Here it is, folks...

I have been able to get the SoundBridge M2000, and my Sonos both, to work with Pandora (or for that matter, anything that is playing on the computer's sound card), using OddCast and IceCast as a team.

The instructions I typed up are extremely long, and highly detailed, mostly for the benefit of others who are not computer savy, but even for those who are. It was trial and error for me, and I consider myself fairly computer savy. This is why I made the instructions so detailed.

Here is the link to the above info...(Courtesy of Burkhardi).
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=15