Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

timh

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:18 am

Hi Endless,

Is there any potential for SlimRoku to display the lyrics contained in the MP3 ID tags? I did a quick search through the FAQ on the SlimDevices website, but don't see anything about support for lyrics in SlimServer.

Also, I see on their site that support for Pandora is coming (to Squeezebox) March 1st. Have you heard if they'll make it open and available in Slimserver?
EDIT, Sorry, I found your response here, I assume there's no news yet? http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6376

Thanks for your work,
Tim
Roku HD-1000 v2.0.36 (1080i),
Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),
S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,
XBOX,
Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,
Onkyo TX-SR600 w/Polk Audio (5.1)
Logitech Harmony 676 Remote

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:02 pm

timh wrote:
Hi Endless,

Is there any potential for SlimRoku to display the lyrics contained in the MP3 ID tags? I did a quick search through the FAQ on the SlimDevices website, but don't see anything about support for lyrics in SlimServer.

Not sure about embedded lyrics, but there's the lyrics plugin for SlimServer that might accomplish what you want: http://slimlyrics.sourceforge.net/

timh wrote:
Also, I see on their site that support for Pandora is coming (to Squeezebox) March 1st. Have you heard if they'll make it open and available in Slimserver?
EDIT, Sorry, I found your response here, I assume there's no news yet? http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6376

None that I've heard yet, sorry...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

SimonO

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:09 am

Friday :D !!!
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

TheEndless
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 am

SimonO wrote:
Friday :D !!!

I thought your power supply died! :P

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

SimonO

Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:00 am

It did :cry: , but I've got two HD1000's :wink: ...
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

dcipher

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:55 pm

Love the app, or at least, i would love it if i could gain some stability...
not sure what's going on but i'm having a lot of stuttering problems... skips, drop outs, etc.

I have a slimp3 that has n problems (Ok, it will skip occassionally, but not like this)... i'm running on a wired connection - not sure how to debug my problem. I can say that i am able to stream dvds with MPlay without a problem from the same server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... let me know what you need me to provide and i'll send it your way!

Thanks,
Jeff

TheEndless
Topic Author

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:33 am

dcipher wrote:
Love the app, or at least, i would love it if i could gain some stability...
not sure what's going on but i'm having a lot of stuttering problems... skips, drop outs, etc.

I have a slimp3 that has n problems (Ok, it will skip occassionally, but not like this)... i'm running on a wired connection - not sure how to debug my problem. I can say that i am able to stream dvds with MPlay without a problem from the same server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... let me know what you need me to provide and i'll send it your way!

Thanks,
Jeff

First, what system is SlimServer running on (Mac, Windows XP, etc)? Second, what type of files are you trying to play (mp3, flac, wma, etc)? If anything other than MP3, do you have SlimServer setup to transcode them?

TheEndless

dcipher

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:49 pm

I am running SlimServer on Fedora Core 4 (1.1 Ghz P3) w/ gigabit ethernet. I am only streaming MP3 files (mostly 320 Kbs and approx 220 Kbs VBR).

I have just done the following and i'll let you know the results when i find out:

1. Added -debug to the startup options

2. Disabled SlimServer on my linux box and installed it on my XP box (3 Ghz P4 w/ 1 Gig RAM + gigabit ethernet). Just want to eliminate the SlimServer as a potential bottleneck.

3. Added swap space to my HD1000 (it's a Rev. A). I just setup 128 MB swap on an NFS share on the linux box.

FYI - i'm new to the Roku HD1000 but have a long history with Linux & linux devices - thus the draw to the Roku.

Some other configuration notes:
- running with static IP
- start the slimRoku application with the IP of the server on the command line (no auto-discovery)
- All of my network devices are running through a gigabit switch
- I tried unplugging every device except for the linux box with slim server and the roku - no difference (thought maybe something else on my network was getting in the way)
- I have one share mounted on the Roku through NFS

Thanks for your help!

First, what system is SlimServer running on (Mac, Windows XP, etc)? Second, what type of files are you trying to play (mp3, flac, wma, etc)? If anything other than MP3, do you have SlimServer setup to transcode them?

TheEndless

dcipher

Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:18 am

Here's an update:
Initially, my new slimserver seemed MUCH better. I was able to browse for music and select it and play.

However, when i stopped the current song, went back to select new music and hit play, it hung. Rebooting the roku, went back in and couldn't get to the slimserver... went over to the XP box, tried to stop & start the slimserver service, but it was hung. Rebooted the xp box and got the slimserver running again.

I went to look at the debug log from when it crashed, but there's not much in there, doesn't look like anything from the crash - just from the reboot and re-attempt to connect to a dead slimserver.

Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Jeff

TheEndless
Topic Author

Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:49 am

dcipher wrote:
Here's an update:
Initially, my new slimserver seemed MUCH better. I was able to browse for music and select it and play.

However, when i stopped the current song, went back to select new music and hit play, it hung. Rebooting the roku, went back in and couldn't get to the slimserver... went over to the XP box, tried to stop & start the slimserver service, but it was hung. Rebooted the xp box and got the slimserver running again.

I went to look at the debug log from when it crashed, but there's not much in there, doesn't look like anything from the crash - just from the reboot and re-attempt to connect to a dead slimserver.

Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Jeff

The debug log gets overwritten each time you run SlimRoku, so if you tried again after the crash then you lost the debug data from the crash. Have you tried again since you got SlimServer back up and running?

TheEndless

dcipher

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:55 pm

Well, now i can't get it to crash :)

So, if it happens again, I'll check out the debug log BEFORE restarting!

Thanks,
Jeff

chackett

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm having an odd problem with file sorting when adding new items to the playlist; I could swear someone else has already posted on this, but now I can't find it. My apologies if this has already been covered.

I'll frequently browse to a particular album by a particular artist, and just add all of the songs to the playlist (while the album name in the "Albums" window is selected). This used to add the songs in the same track order that they're on the album, but now it doesn't. Has something changed? I recently switched from using iTunes to specifying a particular music folder; could that have caused this behavior?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

TheEndless
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:44 pm

chackett wrote:
I'm having an odd problem with file sorting when adding new items to the playlist; I could swear someone else has already posted on this, but now I can't find it. My apologies if this has already been covered.

I'll frequently browse to a particular album by a particular artist, and just add all of the songs to the playlist (while the album name in the "Albums" window is selected). This used to add the songs in the same track order that they're on the album, but now it doesn't. Has something changed? I recently switched from using iTunes to specifying a particular music folder; could that have caused this behavior?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

casman posted the same issue here: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6713
Turns out the problem was with tagging in his case. Any chance that's the problem on your end as well?

TheEndless

chackett

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:44 am

TheEndless wrote:
casman posted the same issue here: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6713
Turns out the problem was with tagging in his case. Any chance that's the problem on your end as well?

TheEndless

Thanks. I knew I'd seen it somewhere. I don't think this is the same issue, though; I'm using iTunes to rip CD's, and it stores files as, for example, "Alison Krauss & Union Station/New Favorite/01 Let Me Touch You For Awhile.m4a". Unless I misunderstood the thread you referred to, this should make things work correctly. The strange thing is, most of the songs from this album show up in the correct order, except that song 7 is 1st and song 13 is 2nd. Wierd.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

Home Theater Master MX-3000

brad

Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:24 pm

I think I may have found a small bug... please correct me if I'm wrong here. When playing an internet radio station on the PB the large text (title and artist) to the right on the art above the upcoming songs box reflects the track being played on my other slim player (softsqueeze or the other PB)

If I forget the 2nd player in the Slimserver the text reflects the stream playing on the PB correctly.

I should note the text up top in the scrolling LCD looking window is correct all the time.

Does this make sense?

Brad