Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bpwwer
Topic Author

Sonica 0.4.8 Released!

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:15 pm

I just uploaded a new version of Sonica to my web site.

New in this release
    * Added image/jpg as an embedded image type in tags.
    * Added Options screen (menu button on remote) that:
      - Change values in settings file via the checkboxes.
      - Re-scan the file system for changes and update the database.
    * Added locking around state changing code to improve stability.
    * New button graphics.
    * New browse/edit graphics.
    * Updated track time displays to include hours if length is more than 100 minutes.
    * Fixed bug in status display that would sometimes crash program when play was first pressed.

The new options screen sets the startup options. Thus, for the changes to take effect, you need to exit and restart Sonica.

The new version is at http://www.bobsplace.com/sonica/
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]

soiaf

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:20 am

I think some of the graphics may be missing? I just see black text for 'Browse','Shuffle' etc. with no obvious way of highlighting them?

Looking forward to trying this release...

dbeales

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:57 am

I've given this a go, and I get the same as soiaf. "Browse", "Shuffle", etc, are in black text (but they are selectable, if you can figure out which one is highlighted!)

When I press the menu button to bring up the new settings screen, the screen is not cleared before being re-drawn, and all the text is in black.

The other screens, e.g. browsing the playlists, work fine, and songs play correctly.

A note for you and soiaf: All my songs are .m4a, and Sonica initially displays "Unknown audio format" when I play anything. (This means, by the way, that Sonica will cycle through a playlist endlessly, until Stop is seleted, trying to find something it can play).
It's only until I install soiaf's AAC/ALAC auto-switching codec that my .m4a's will play. But mine are not Apple loss-less, but 160kbps AAC.
Just wondered why this is? May trip-up other people.

Damon

soiaf

Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:42 am

dbeales wrote:
A note for you and soiaf: All my songs are .m4a, and Sonica initially displays "Unknown audio format" when I play anything. (This means, by the way, that Sonica will cycle through a playlist endlessly, until Stop is seleted, trying to find something it can play).
It's only until I install soiaf's AAC/ALAC auto-switching codec that my .m4a's will play. But mine are not Apple loss-less, but 160kbps AAC.
Just wondered why this is? May trip-up other people.

The default setting in Sonica is, as you found out, to use the M4A pseudo-codec. Couple of reasons for this, one being that many people were using either just Apple Lossless (or more commonly) a mixture of AAC and Apple Lossless.
The issue with using the AAC codec as being the default codec for files with a .m4a extension is theres a (another) bug in the Roku AAC codec that causes it to crash with any .m4a file its not happy with - Apple Lossless files being a prime candidate. This means you could be happily listening to your AAC music, next song happens to be a Apple Lossles file and all playback breaks (I think it might disable the share as well).
Unfortunately its a bit of a no-win situation, but things would certainly be clearer if Roku would fix this bug in the AAC codec.

bpwwer
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:52 am

soiaf wrote:
I think some of the graphics may be missing? I just see black text for 'Browse','Shuffle' etc. with no obvious way of highlighting them?

It's always something :)

Try the copy that's out there now. The only difference is that I added in the images for all the buttons and the option screen background. I needed to update my script that builds the packages to include all the new images.

Bob
-- Bob --

soiaf

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:46 am

bpwwer wrote:
Try the copy that's out there now. The only difference is that I added in the images for all the buttons and the option screen background. I needed to update my script that builds the packages to include all the new images.

Thanks Bob, thats working great now :D
I've done a few tests with things that often (but not always) used to crash Sonica and this new version seems to be handling them well so far, which is great.

Chewy

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:06 pm

This seems to work better for me as well. Nice work!

--Chewy

bpwwer
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:38 pm

I'm glad it working better. That's good to hear. The primary reason to get this release out was so that everyone could get the bug fixes. I'm still working on the options screen and have other internal improvements lined up as well. The biggest feature for the options screen is to add the ability to select directories to scan using a directory browser. Most of the code is there (I removed the button for it for this release) but it doesn't quite work right yet.
-- Bob --

Chewy

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:20 pm

The biggest feature for the options screen is to add the ability to select directories to scan using a directory browser.

Bob,

The navigation capability that you talk about is a great idea and I am looking forward to it. Are you thinking that it's a couple months out?

--Chewy

wrk24wheel

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:43 pm

I am still unable to get Sonica to run. It will crash durring the scanning of songs. I have run in debug mode, but the end of the file does not show anything out of the ordinary. Is there a way to remove the song database in this version? I have searched but have been unable to find the database file? I am sure it is corrupt from previous versions and I have not been able to use Sonica for the past two versions.

The majority of my songs are 320kbps AAC files. There are only ~3500 songs on this drive. I have a Rev B. with a 128mb swap file as well.

After looking at the log files after several runs I noticed it stopped in the same place. I checked out the song file just after the last one listed and it was a bad rip. Looks like Sonica will not skip over a bad song, it will just fall over.

bpwwer
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:41 pm

wrk24wheel wrote:
After looking at the log files after several runs I noticed it stopped in the same place. I checked out the song file just after the last one listed and it was a bad rip. Looks like Sonica will not skip over a bad song, it will just fall over.

Yes, tags can be corrupt in so many ways that it is very difficult to trap all possible errors. Does this mean that you were able to finally run Sonica?

The database file is stored in the same directory as the application and is called .sonica_song.db
-- Bob --

chackett

Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:30 am

bpwwer wrote:
wrk24wheel wrote:

Yes, tags can be corrupt in so many ways that it is very difficult to trap all possible errors. Does this mean that you were able to finally run Sonica?

The database file is stored in the same directory as the application and is called .sonica_song.db

There's also a "-a" flag which soiaf had recommended to me at one point when some of my aac files were crashing Sonica. It works great. I'm guessing that this is the "Alternate ID3 tags" option that's now selectable from the UI, but I'm not sure. At any rate, you may want to check it out.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

wrk24wheel

Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:39 am

bpwwer wrote:
wrk24wheel wrote:

Yes, I am finally able to run Sonica after I deleted the song file. However, there is no .sonica_song.db in my Sonica app directory. Sonica completed its scan and I was able to see all my songs.

chackett

Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:24 am

wrk24wheel wrote:
Yes, I am finally able to run Sonica after I deleted the song file. However, there is no .sonica_song.db in my Sonica app directory. Sonica completed its scan and I was able to see all my songs.

It's a hidden file; use the "ls -a" flag to see it.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

Home Theater Master MX-3000

wrk24wheel

Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:04 pm

Great. I can now see the DB. However, now I have anohter problem. about 90% of my collection was ripped at 320kbps AAC. It seems like Sonica gives me an error saying unsupported sampling rate and then locks up. Listen will just lock up with no error, just say's 'working' at the top. Is the codec not capable of this? Or do I just need to add something to the command line?