Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

julianmclean
Topic Author

MPlayDVD stuttering problem

Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:02 pm

I've just woken up to the capability of using MPlayDVD to play DVD ISOs straight off the hard drive, but I'm having an issue:

The video and audio play ok, but the video stutters every second or so. Its not completely unwatchable, but bad enough to not be viable at the moment. I assumed this was a network bandwidth problem and tried compressing the DVD by about 2/3 using DVD Shrink but the problem is exactly the same.

Can anyone advise on a solution? Is it purely down to network and disk access or is there some other configuration I can do? I'm pulling off an internal hard-drive on a windows XP SMB at the moment. Eventually if I can get this to work it would be some form of NAS drive, but I'm not going to invest until I know I can this working well.

Any ideas appreciated.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: MPlayDVD stuttering problem

Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:25 pm

julianmclean wrote:
I've just woken up to the capability of using MPlayDVD to play DVD ISOs straight off the hard drive, but I'm having an issue:

The video and audio play ok, but the video stutters every second or so. Its not completely unwatchable, but bad enough to not be viable at the moment. I assumed this was a network bandwidth problem and tried compressing the DVD by about 2/3 using DVD Shrink but the problem is exactly the same.

Can anyone advise on a solution? Is it purely down to network and disk access or is there some other configuration I can do? I'm pulling off an internal hard-drive on a windows XP SMB at the moment. Eventually if I can get this to work it would be some form of NAS drive, but I'm not going to invest until I know I can this working well.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sounds like you're trying to play a PAL DVD. You'll either need to switch to one of the available PAL resolutions on the Roku (may not be compatible with your television), or convert the DVD. See this question from the MPlay FAQ for more details: http://www.permanence.com/MPlay/faq.html#videochoppy

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

drew138

Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:55 pm

Huh? I've actually never tried to play an ISO file. Does this work? What actually plays?
I'm on the road and cannot test this out.

Thanks

Drew

TheEndless

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:39 pm

drew138 wrote:
Huh? I've actually never tried to play an ISO file. Does this work? What actually plays?
I'm on the road and cannot test this out.

Thanks

Drew

ISOs are not directly supported by MPlay. My guess is that he's either extracted the ISOs to the file system, or is using something like DaemonTools to mount them as a virtual DVD drive and shared the drive with the Roku.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Wulgaru

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:07 pm

My guess is it's just a case of confusion with the terminology.

tlrowley

Re: MPlayDVD stuttering problem

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:12 am

TheEndless wrote:
Sounds like you're trying to play a PAL DVD. You'll either need to switch to one of the available PAL resolutions on the Roku (may not be compatible with your television), or convert the DVD. See this question from the MPlay FAQ for more details: http://www.permanence.com/MPlay/faq.html#videochoppy

TheEndless

This is a very timely thread for me, I'm just trying to play a ripped PAL DVD. I tried using VLC to make a TS, and the stuttering has stopped, but I get flashes in the picture, at about the same frequency as I was getting the stutters. I thought that I followed the instructions in the FAQ correctly, but since the conversion seems to work for everyone else, obviously I missed something.

Do flashes sound familiar to anyone? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tracey

julianmclean
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:34 am

Sorry guys - my bad on the "ISOs". I was busy burning a CD at the time I wrote it! I meant IFO file or VOB. To clarify, I just decrypted the DVD to the hard drive in its raw format and then tried to play using MPlayDVD.

Thanks for the advice - I'll try the PAL setting, or the VLC method and report back.

I'm guessing that this will also fix the slightly weird colouring I was getting too? Wasn't too bad, but the picture just looked a little "fake", is the only way I can describe it. Once I have it set up properly, should I expect the exact same quality of picture that I would get from an (average) DVD player?

If I can get this working, I will be suitably impressed. SlimRoku and MPlay are bringing the new AV setup to life - excellent efforts TheEndless and marcelo3d!

Also got userkeys and application scripting thanks to posts here from pxegeek and clovold, so I now have one touch access to digital music, video playback, dvd playpack, weather, photos library and even the london tube map using a Harmony 885. Sweet...

drew138

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:18 pm

:( . :D

tlrowley

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:48 pm

Well, I seem to have solved my own problem. If I switch the ouput format to 720p, the converted PAL video plays without flashes. I'm certain that I have no idea why this happens, but at least it works.

Thanks,
Tracey

julianmclean
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:39 am

Ok, I used VLC to convert to a transport stream TS and it looks to play ok, but I've lost the chapter information.

Can someone post a quick quide to how to either:

- Rip DVDs to the hard-drive directly into a format that works well with the Roku
- Convert DVDs ripped with DVD Decrypter or any other tool

I'll mostly be storing UK Region 2 DVDs if that makes any difference and I'm currently using the VGA output from the Roku at 1080i 60Hz

Thanks...

TheEndless

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:03 pm

julianmclean wrote:
Ok, I used VLC to convert to a transport stream TS and it looks to play ok, but I've lost the chapter information.

As it states in the FAQ I posted earlier:
if you want to keep the chapter info, it'll probably be easiest if you name it the same as the VOB file, but with a TS extension

If you've named the files something else, then refer to this FAQ: http://www.permanence.com/MPlay/faq.html#ifoparse

Of course, if you're in the UK, then you should be able to switch to one of the PAL resolutions on the PhotoBridge and no conversion of your PAL material will be necessary.

TheEndless

julianmclean
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:05 am

Thanks TheEndless, got it sorted now. Had a bit more of a play with the video format settings on the Roku. Hadn't appreciated before that the VGA 50Hz settings at the end equated to PAL. Stuttering problem resolved now without any conversion necessary, and of course it has stopped the video looking at bit "fake".

Cheers for the help