Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

NEW!! MPlay v3.5beta (Apr 9 2006) with UPnP support!

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:10 am

We are proud to announce the release of MPlay v3.5beta with UPnP support!

This new version allows browsing of UPnP servers that are accessible to the PhotoBridge. It has been tested with Windows Media Connect, Nero MediaHome, TVersity UPnP Media Server, and TwonkyVision Media Server. Nero MediaHome and TVersity both offer real-time transcoding features that make it possible to playback many natively unsupported video formats on your PhotoBridge via MPlay!

Other updates in this release include:
04/09/06
--------
- Added Extra Large icon view to file browser
- Updated: Optimized smart file list.
- Fixed: Crash that could occur if a smart select folder was "played" before the smart select
         finished scanning the folder.

03/26/06
--------
- Added ability to configure a folder view (icon size, filter, password, pattern) via folder.cfg
- Changed: Default description file changed from info.txt to folder.nfo/<filename>.nfo
- Changed: Moved filtering code into file browser
- Updated: Optimized cover art and description loading in file browser

03/19/06
--------
- Added large icon view to file browser
- Added info display to file browser (looks for info.txt or <filename>.txt in the folder)
- Updated: Delete dialog UI now matches the selected theme
- Updated: Delete dialog now gives option to delete just the selected file or the full sequence
- Updated: Windows system directories are hidden from the file browser

03/09/06
--------
- Updated: Increased speed of FF, REW, chapter, and bookmark skips
- Fixed: Bug that caused a crash when transport commands were sent with no file open

03/06/06
--------
- Added -MenuOnEOF command-line flag
- Added UPnP devices to -browsedir in file browser
- Updated: Audio stream is now remembered for video files

03/05/06
--------
- Added UPnP support
- Added Duration to progress bar when available (DVDs with IFO and UPnP)
- Added Status ECP command
- Changed: ECP forward and back commands now allow specifying a number of seconds
- Updated: Improved handling of HTTP streams
- Updated: "End of File" indication should be more accurate
- Fixed: Bug that would erroneously include some files in a sequence that shouldn't be

Large Icon View
A new large icon view for the file browser can be enabled via the options menu.

(Click for larger screenshot)

Pressing [Menu] while the file browser is open will cycle through the different views (list view with size, list view without size, and large icon view). The description text (displayed under the cover art) is pulled from a text file in the highlighted folder, and follows the same naming rules as the cover art jpegs. A file with the name "folder.nfo" will display for the folder, whereas a text file with the same name as the video file will display for that particular video file. When in large icon mode, you will need to hit Play/Pause to launch a DVD Smart Select folder (rather than selecting the "Play DVD" button).

Folder View Configuration
MPlay looks for a folder.cfg file in each folder to determine how that folder should be displayed in the file browser. In this file, you can specify icon size, filter, password, and pattern match. The format of the file should be as follows:
icons=Large
filter=SequenceSize
password=mypass
pattern=*.mpg;*.ts

Any or all options can be specified.
The acceptable values for icons are:
  • ExtraLarge (extra large icons)
  • Large (large icons)
  • Small (small icons)
  • SmallNoSize (small icons with no size column)
The acceptable values for filter are:
  • All (show all files)
  • Sequence (show only the first file of sequences)
  • Size (show only files larger than the configured minimum file size)
  • SequenceSize (show only the first file of sequences and only files larger than the configured minimum file size)
password is currently limited to alphanumeric characters only and is case-sensitive. Upon trying to access a folder with a password specified, the user will be prompted to enter the password before continuing.

pattern should be a typical filename pattern match (*.mpg, *.ts, etc.). Multiple patterns should be separated by a semi-colon. If a pattern is specified, only files that match that pattern will be displayed.

Known Issues
This is a beta release, so you may experience problems other than the following known issues:
  • Due to either a bug in the PhotoBridge UPnP implementation or a bug in TwonkyVision, some UPnP folders do not fully populate when using TwonkyVision.
  • Some transcoded UPnP streams can cause lockups/crashes when fast-forwarding and rewinding. In testing, this happened nearly every time when fast-forwarding a transcoded XviD avi using TVersity.
  • Some HTTP streams report an invalid size which causes the progress bar to display an incorrect value.
  • Due to the nature of UPnP, file sequences are not supported for seamless playback.

Please visit the website for more details.

This new version is available at the following link: http://www.permanence.com/MPlay/files/M ... 060409.zip

As always, comments, criticisms, and suggestions are always welcome.

TheEndless and marcelo3d
Last edited by TheEndless on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dj7675

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Very cool. I just tried it with the Infrant X6 UPnP and it seems to work great. Video playback seems perfect in the small amount of testing I have tried. Probably the only drawback I see right now is ff/rew are slow. On a 3min skip it took about 15-20 seconds to get there. It would be interesting to see how high of a bitrate these can take. It might be a great option for playback of very high bitrate files like those from dvb satellite or files from the sony hc1 hdv video camera. I just have standard bitrate files so I can't comment on how high of a bitrate files this method can support. Thanks again for your continued work on this app. Also great for those UPnP servers that do transcoding of other formats.

Darin

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:47 pm

dj7675 wrote:
Probably the only drawback I see right now is ff/rew are slow. On a 3min skip it took about 15-20 seconds to get there. It would be interesting to see how high of a bitrate these can take.

Unfortunately, I think that comes down to the server you're using. With Nero MediaHome on my desktop PC, a 3 minute fast-forward takes between 3 and 5 seconds. I know that doesn't help you at all, but thought I'd offer a contrasting example for comparison sake. Let me know if you experience any other issues.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

drew138

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:49 pm

I'll have my readynas NV later this week and will most defintley try it with my 26.2 ts files from my sony hc1.

Darin, have you tried this with the build in upnp player on the readynas? as opposed to the twonky?

Drew

r111

Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:33 pm

I feel like this is a dumb question, but how do you browse to a UPNP source in MPlay? It shows up in the native Roku interface, but not in MPlay.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:47 pm

r111 wrote:
I feel like this is a dumb question, but how do you browse to a UPNP source in MPlay? It shows up in the native Roku interface, but not in MPlay.

It should show up in the root of the file browser, and looks just like another folder. If you've set the -browsedir command line option differently than your -browseroot command line, then you'll need to select the "Top" button in the file browser to jump to the root.

TheEndless

dbeales

Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:54 am

I tried connecting to the Elgato eyeconnect server on the Mac, but although an eyeconnect folder showed-up in MPlay's menu, when selected, "Please Wait" displayed for a couple of mins or so, and then an empty directory list.

I rebooted the PB, and restarted eyeconnect, and tried browsing the eyeconnect media from the PB GUI, and the files showed-up.

Then I launched MPlay and tried again, but the same result - no files.

What should I do to try and debug ?

Damon

r111

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 am

TheEndless wrote:
r111 wrote:

It should show up in the root of the file browser, and looks just like another folder. If you've set the -browsedir command line option differently than your -browseroot command line, then you'll need to select the "Top" button in the file browser to jump to the root.

TheEndless

OK, I found out why I could not see my UPNP server in MPlay, I was using the -browserwithback command line option. This option prevents me from seeing the UPNP server. As a suggestion, if there is a spare remote key, it would be great to be able to jump to a specified "browsedir" on the UPNP server.

This has much promise. It supercedes previous 3rd party attempts such as TheatreSix, and (I think it was called) Media Browser. I've only tried it with Nero Media Home, but it works. Nero seems to drop audio on some videos. Transcoding takes lots of CPU power -- My 2.4 GHz Pentium windows box drops frames and has audio sync problems with most videos. Still - it has much promise! Thanks Endless!

clovold

saving last audio channel?

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:31 am

Before I download and update I was just wondering if you are now saving the audio channel that a file was last viewed with.

I don't see nay other features that make it worth downloading for me.

I have several movies that I love to watch but have to change the audio every time I restart watching them, since the first audio channel is removed. spanish, or directors commentary, etc.

Thanks,

Craig L.

P.S. I'm not complaining, I love this app!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work!!!

dgburns

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:09 am

r111 wrote:
I've only tried it with Nero Media Home, but it works

Which version of MediaHome are you using?
Have you tried some XVID's? If so, how about those that have AC3 audio versus MP3 audio?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

TheEndless
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:46 am

r111 wrote:
OK, I found out why I could not see my UPNP server in MPlay, I was using the -browserwithback command line option. This option prevents me from seeing the UPNP server. As a suggestion, if there is a spare remote key, it would be great to be able to jump to a specified "browsedir" on the UPNP server.

Note quite sure what you're suggesting here. Can you give more detail?

r111 wrote:
This has much promise. It supercedes previous 3rd party attempts such as TheatreSix, and (I think it was called) Media Browser. I've only tried it with Nero Media Home, but it works. Nero seems to drop audio on some videos. Transcoding takes lots of CPU power -- My 2.4 GHz Pentium windows box drops frames and has audio sync problems with most videos. Still - it has much promise! Thanks Endless!

I've found that when streaming transcoded files, it often helps to pause the video for a few seconds when it starts to allow the server to buffer some. That should cut down on some of the dropped frames and audio problems. I've also found that setting Nero to transcode to MPEG-1 can improve performance. Since you're probably upscaling the AVIs anyway, you shouldn't notice much of a quality difference between MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 transcoding (assuming you're not viewing HD videos).

TheEndless

TheEndless
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:51 am

dbeales wrote:
I tried connecting to the Elgato eyeconnect server on the Mac, but although an eyeconnect folder showed-up in MPlay's menu, when selected, "Please Wait" displayed for a couple of mins or so, and then an empty directory list.

I rebooted the PB, and restarted eyeconnect, and tried browsing the eyeconnect media from the PB GUI, and the files showed-up.

Then I launched MPlay and tried again, but the same result - no files.

What should I do to try and debug ?

Damon

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac, so I can't test Elgato, but if it's browsable in the standard Roku UI, it should be browsable in MPlay. A prolonged "Please Wait" followed by an empty folder usually indicates a timeout. Does the UPnP folder you're trying to browse have a large number of items in it by any chance?

TheEndless

TheEndless
Topic Author

Re: saving last audio channel?

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:55 am

clovold wrote:
Before I download and update I was just wondering if you are now saving the audio channel that a file was last viewed with.

I don't see nay other features that make it worth downloading for me.

I have several movies that I love to watch but have to change the audio every time I restart watching them, since the first audio channel is removed. spanish, or directors commentary, etc.

Thanks,

Craig L.

P.S. I'm not complaining, I love this app!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work!!!

Oops, that one slipped through the cracks. I'll see how much trouble it is to pull that off. If it's not too difficult, I'll add it and release an update.

TheEndless

jsjames

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:26 am

Awesome!

Dumb question of the day.
Do I need to have a certain account on the Infrant NAS to enable the Roku to see it? MPlay sees the NAS but nothing shows up in it.
I'm sure it's an account issue.
Thanks,

Jeff
M1000

dj7675

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:59 am

I don't have any accounts set up on mine. I can't recall the exact setup. Make sure you have your video files in the video folder, and enable UPnP. This is located under Share > Services on the Infrant admin.

Darin