Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

julianmclean

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:29 am

Tried out the suggestion and it seems to work ok. Cheers TheEndless.

Cris Moore

"End of File" problem

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:41 pm

TheEndless,

I often start playback while the file is still being recorded with a MyHD card. The problem I run into is that MPlay will reach the "End of File" and stop playing on the last file because the .mplay file indicates its at the end. The only way to finish is to wait until the show is done recording (which updates the .mplay file) or to quit MPlay and delete the .mplay file.

Would it be possible to add a remote option that would force MPlay to update the .mplay file so that MPlay knows that the file is now bigger than what is listed in the .mplay file? Perhaps when one does a pause\pause it could be updated there along with the resync?

Cris

marcelo3d

Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:52 am

Cris,

I do exactly that and it works fine, lets me "time-shift". I just need a couple of minutes of the program to be able to start watching.
Even if you try to FF past the end, MPlay will stay 10 sec behind the end, so you can watch "live".
The .MPlay file ony keeps bookmarks, display pref, audio track.

I'll try it again tonight to make sute it didn't break in the latest releases.

M.-

Cris Moore

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:22 am

I do exactly that and it works fine, lets me "time-shift". I just need a couple of minutes of the program to be able to start watching.
Even if you try to FF past the end, MPlay will stay 10 sec behind the end, so you can watch "live".

I run into this problem when I "time-shift" and end up almost caught up to the current time, probably within the 10 seconds margin. What I try to do when I get the "End of File" message is back up a few miniutes and let it play again but it still stops at the same point like MPlay doesn't know there is more show now.

There is probably nothing you can do about this problem. The solution is for me to wait > 30min (for a 1 hour show) before starting to watch so that I don't "catch up" to the current time because I skipped commercials.

OK that's how that works. I must have placed a bookmark by accident.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

MPlay v3.5b (Apr 9 2006)

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:11 pm

We've release a new version of MPlay v3.5beta with a few minor tweaks and bug fixes. This version includes:
04/09/06
--------
- Added ExtraLarge icon view to file browser
- Updated: Optimized smart file list.
- Fixed: Crash that could occur if a smart select folder was "played" before the smart select
         finished scanning the folder.

The new extra large icon view shows 2 rows of 4 icons each in the file browser, and is accessed in the same way as the other views.

Also, in an effort to help consolidate the various questions and issues that are frequently discussed here over numerous posts, we've added a new set of forums to the MPlay web site! Along with a feature request forum and general discussion forum, there is also a new FAQ forum with updated FAQs about MPlay. Feel free to join the forums here: http://www.permanence.com/roku/forums

Please see the website or the first post in this thread for the new download link.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dgburns

Re: MPlay v3.5b (Apr 9 2006)

Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:50 pm

TheEndless wrote:
we've added a new set of forums to the MPlay web site!

worried this vendor forum might go the way of the dodo? :wink:
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

TheEndless
Topic Author

Re: MPlay v3.5b (Apr 9 2006)

Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:14 am

dgburns wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
we've added a new set of forums to the MPlay web site!

worried this vendor forum might go the way of the dodo? :wink:

Hehe.. it's a bit simpler than that, actually. My wife asked me to set up some forums for her site, so in order to learn the ins and outs of it, I set some up for MPlay first. I also thought having a full forum for support of MPlay would make it a lot easier to keep track of and find answers to questions that have already been asked (as opposed to having a single 20-30 page thread with 5 or 6 different topics being discussed at once).

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

marcelo3d

Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:15 am

Cris Moore wrote:

I run into this problem when I "time-shift" and end up almost caught up to the current time, probably within the 10 seconds margin. What I try to do when I get the "End of File" message is back up a few miniutes and let it play again but it still stops at the same point like MPlay doesn't know there is more show now.

There is probably nothing you can do about this problem. The solution is for me to wait > 30min (for a 1 hour show) before starting to watch so that I don't "catch up" to the current time because I skipped commercials.

Cris,

I confirmed it last night. Time-shifting is broken in the current release.
Sorry about that. I'll try to fix it this week.
M.-

SimonO

Tue May 02, 2006 6:14 am

Any idea why this file won't start MPlay..? I get a short flash of 'MPlay is loading...', then it jumps back to the Roku desktop...

#!/bin/sh
#
# MPlay.app [-minfilesize=numbytes] [-browsedir=dir] [-browseroot=dir] [-noicons] [-largeicons] [-hidesize] [-nomenu]
#           [-fontsize=numpoints] [-menuoneof] [-exitatend] [-maxbuffer] [-nobrowserdelete] [noresume] [-browserwithback]
#           [-infotimeout=n] [-FixTS] [-NTSCRes=n] [-PALRes=n] [-unattended] [-name=friendlyname] [filename] [filename]
#
SXPATH=`echo "$0" | sed 's/\/Bedroom.roku$//'`
"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -browsedir="/tmp/Volumes/sony-server-rokulook/videos/dvds" -browseroot="/tmp/Volumes/sony-server-rokulook/videos/dvds" -largeicons -hidesize -nomenu -fontsize=24 -menuoneof -maxbuffer -nobrowserdelete -infotimeout=5 -FixTS -PALRes=11 -NTSCRes=3 -unattended
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

TheEndless
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2006 7:40 am

SimonO wrote:
Any idea why this file won't start MPlay..? I get a short flash of 'MPlay is loading...', then it jumps back to the Roku desktop...

#!/bin/sh
#
# MPlay.app [-minfilesize=numbytes] [-browsedir=dir] [-browseroot=dir] [-noicons] [-largeicons] [-hidesize] [-nomenu]
#           [-fontsize=numpoints] [-menuoneof] [-exitatend] [-maxbuffer] [-nobrowserdelete] [noresume] [-browserwithback]
#           [-infotimeout=n] [-FixTS] [-NTSCRes=n] [-PALRes=n] [-unattended] [-name=friendlyname] [filename] [filename]
#
"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -browsedir="/tmp/Volumes/sony-server-rokulook/videos/dvds" -browseroot="/tmp/Volumes/sony-server-rokulook/videos/dvds" -largeicons -hidesize -nomenu -fontsize=24 -menuoneof -maxbuffer -nobrowserdelete -infotimeout=5 -FixTS -PALRes=11 -NTSCRes=3 -unattended

I'd say it's probably the "-unattended" flag. If I remember correctly when "-unattended" is specified, it is expected that the file to open will be specified on the command line as well. This is for use with other apps (like Viper) that launch MPlay and want focus to return to their application after the video is finished.

TheEndless

SimonO

Tue May 02, 2006 8:48 am

TheEndless wrote:
SimonO wrote:

#!/bin/sh
#
#

I'd say it's probably the "-unattended" flag. If I remember correctly when "-unattended" is specified, it is expected that the file to open will be specified on the command line as well. This is for use with other apps (like Viper) that launch MPlay and want focus to return to their application after the video is finished.

TheEndless

Thanks, I'm not sure why I had that in there :roll: ...
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

dj7675

Thu May 04, 2006 1:27 pm

marcelo3d wrote:
Cris Moore wrote:

Cris,

I confirmed it last night. Time-shifting is broken in the current release.
Sorry about that. I'll try to fix it this week.
M.-

Is this still an issue with the last release? I want to have the most current release, but I timeshift network tv quite a bit and don't want to give that up...

Thanks

Darin

marcelo3d

Thu May 04, 2006 2:09 pm

I suspect time-shifting is broken since some Roku FW update. Not sure which. I'm working on a fix, but haven't completed it yet (water-heater broke, room flooded, and other life pleasentries have distracted me :) )

If you let your server be enough ahead of the HD1K, you may not notice.

I'll try to finish it this weekend.

M.-

dj7675

Thu May 04, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks for the update. Those don't sound like fun issues!

Darin

IlkkaNisula

Sat May 06, 2006 10:28 am

Hi,

I got my Roku and MPlay working greatly now from SMB share with thumbnails and all, good work guys. I have few feature suggestions:

1) possibility to have "default" image directory for files with known prefix, e.g. TV series would have same thumbnail for different episodes.
I mean a subdirectory with thumbnail names e.g. "4400.jpg" and then all files that start with 4400 would use that image as thumbnail. You could still have separate .nfo files for different episodes.

2) DVD subtitles
I have ripped my PAL DVDs and I want to watch movies with subtitles (Finnish subtitles, like it makes a difference)... currently only option for Roku is to burn the subtitles to picture with VLC by re-encoding the whole movie to MPEG2-PS or TS file and this takes alot of extra time.

3) DVB subtitles
This standard is different from DVD and have different color depth than DVD subtitles. If possible this would be nice feature also. This is used in Finnish DVB broadcasts and there is extra PID used for subtitles. DVB channel information should contain list of PIDs in one program stream. Nebula software does a prefiltering for transport stream and one .ts file contains only information for one program.