Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
 
wmcneil
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:26 am

video sync problems

Mon May 08, 2006 4:55 pm

I am running Mplay 3.5 with SB 2.5.150. When I FF or REW, I frequently get either a completely black screen, or a very pixeliated screen. Once I get this, it typically takes many (4-8 presses) subsequent REW or FF before the video syncs up again. -maxbuffers and -FixTS do help, but even with them the frequency of sync problems is every other or every third FF or REW.

The problem seems to be much more frequent with video that I have encoded into MPEG from by digital video camera using Ulead Video Studio.
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
Used to have a Photobridge HD1000 RevA,128M swap,100M wired
Soundbridge M500, 100M wired
 
marcelo3d
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

Re: video sync problems

Mon May 08, 2006 5:32 pm

wmcneil wrote:
I am running Mplay 3.5 with SB 2.5.150. When I FF or REW, I frequently get either a completely black screen, or a very pixeliated screen. Once I get this, it typically takes many (4-8 presses) subsequent REW or FF before the video syncs up again. -maxbuffers and -FixTS do help, but even with them the frequency of sync problems is every other or every third FF or REW.

The problem seems to be much more frequent with video that I have encoded into MPEG from by digital video camera using Ulead Video Studio.
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

It is a known problem. The HD1k gets confused easily with MPEG1-2 Program Streams. It works better with VOBs, but still happens some times. I've never seen it with Transport Streams.
Just keep hitting REW for now.

M.-
 
dj7675
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Two small requests...

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:19 am

TheEndless.
A couple of small requests....

1-Could there be one view that could display more text? I have figured out a way to have my sage recordings automatically create txt files with the recording data in it as they are recorded. But there is more data there than can be displayed in the current views. Or if the filename.txt could be scrollable, or a view that has no coverart and just use the space for the text. One last idea might be the ability to arrow to the text and click enter to read all of it. Not sure if any of those would work well or if any others need to be able to see more recording data, but it would sure be great in my situation.

2-Would it be possible to ad one more file extension Mplay recognizes? the files with the recorded data in them are text files with a .my extension.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Darin
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Two small requests...

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:47 am

dj7675 wrote:
1-Could there be one view that could display more text? I have figured out a way to have my sage recordings automatically create txt files with the recording data in it as they are recorded. But there is more data there than can be displayed in the current views. Or if the filename.txt could be scrollable, or a view that has no coverart and just use the space for the text. One last idea might be the ability to arrow to the text and click enter to read all of it. Not sure if any of those would work well or if any others need to be able to see more recording data, but it would sure be great in my situation.

I'll have to think about how we could pull that off with the existing dialogs.

dj7675 wrote:
2-Would it be possible to ad one more file extension Mplay recognizes? the files with the recorded data in them are text files with a .my extension.

Is the .my extension the only difference between your files and the .nfo files? If so, then that shouldn't be a problem.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
dj7675
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:34 am

Yes. It has more data in them than I really need or want, but they are just text files with the recording data in the such as title, air date, actors, length, etc.. I like all of the info, and the fact that I have sage configured to create them automatically as recordings are made. To test them, I changed one of the .my to .txt and it displayed the text in MPlay just fine.
I think in the long run it will be nice to be able to see more program data in Mplay. Would it be possible to have MPlay "arrows" over to the current text area and either select it to pop up a larger windows for text, or even to be able to scroll down the current text area might even work.

Thanks again.

Darin
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:48 am

dj7675 wrote:
Would it be possible to have MPlay "arrows" over to the current text area and either select it to pop up a larger windows for text, or even to be able to scroll down the current text area might even work.

Not really, since the arrow buttons are used to navigate the files/folders. It would be possible in list view, but not in large icon mode. I'll think on it a bit more.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
dj7675
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:06 am

Thanks for taking a look at it. Look forward to what you come up with as always. I brief look at playing the HD recordings within sage via pc, and quickly became very thankful for the Roku Photobridge/Mplay. I want to spend time watching and not tinkering with a PC. Sage does a great job of scheduling recordings, etc.. but I don't see giving up my 3 photobridges for quite a long time.

Thanks again.

Darin
 
dgburns
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:37 am

Re: Two small requests...

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:03 pm

TheEndless wrote:
I'll have to think about how we could pull that off with the existing dialogs.


Wouldn't help in ALL situations, but perhaps if there IS a text file, and IS NOT a recognized cover art file, the whole area could be used for the txt instead of inserting a generic MPlay pic?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2
 
scans
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:18 am

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Sorry if this is off topic, but just wanted to report that mPlay plays video from my new JVC Everio GZMG21 hard disk camcorder (MPEG2) video, (16:9 or 4:3 in the various quality levels) without difficulty. Just copy and you're done (don't even need to rename the .mod files to .mpg !!!)

Makes for showing videos on the HDTV off my storage server effortless and more organized than using the built-in player on the Roku. The time bar is off a bit in computing the length of the video, but FF/Rewind work fine.

Thanks Endless!
 
MarkD
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Royal Palm Beach, FL

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:41 pm

TheEndless wrote:
dj7675 wrote:
Would it be possible to have MPlay "arrows" over to the current text area and either select it to pop up a larger windows for text, or even to be able to scroll down the current text area might even work.

Not really, since the arrow buttons are used to navigate the files/folders. It would be possible in list view, but not in large icon mode. I'll think on it a bit more.

TheEndless


:idea: I LOVE the idea of being able to display more text. Perhaps an option to select a "More Info" button or simply selecting the "Info" button would display a screen which includes the text and cover art of the movie that was highlighted. Just a thought....
 
dj7675
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:00 pm

That is what I was thinking of too. That way the layout of the gui isn't changed (coverart, text location, and file browser). Of course, someone like me with know programming knowlege can make all kinds of suggestions and have no idea how much work is really involved in making what seems like even the smallest change :) .

Darin
 
dj7675
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:54 pm

TheEndless wrote:
dj7675 wrote:
Would it be possible to have MPlay "arrows" over to the current text area and either select it to pop up a larger windows for text, or even to be able to scroll down the current text area might even work.

Not really, since the arrow buttons are used to navigate the files/folders. It would be possible in list view, but not in large icon mode. I'll think on it a bit more.

TheEndless


Any more thoughts on more text display area? :)
 
mcornwell
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:28 pm
Contact:

mPlay 3.5 with ReplayTV files

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:43 pm

I mainly use mPlay to play files that were recorded with a ReplayTV 5000 series DVR. I know the MPEG's that a Replay makes aren't totally MPEG2 compliant, but they play just fine.

My question concerns FF'ing and RWD'ing. Under 3.0 Beta, things worked pretty perfectly, with the 10 sec, 30 sec and 3 minutes skips. With 3.5 Beta, it seems like it's a crap shoot, about 10% of the time FF'ing or REW'ing seems to zip to the end or beginning of the show instead of doing their 10 sec, 30 sec or 3 minute skip.

A majority of my shows are recorded at standard quality on the Replay, I haven't experimented to see if different recording quality levels provide any different results.

Anyone else see this behavior under 3.5?

Even with the bug, this is the best reason for owning a Roku, thanks TheEndless.
 
dj7675
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:34 am

TheEndless,

Wondering if you have been able to give the extra text area any more thought. Would love to be able to see all of the program data somehow.

Thanks fo rthe great app and you continued work on it.

Darin
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:13 am

dj7675 wrote:
TheEndless,

Wondering if you have been able to give the extra text area any more thought. Would love to be able to see all of the program data somehow.

Thanks fo rthe great app and you continued work on it.

Darin

I have given it more thought, and think I've come up with a workable idea. Unfortunately, I've not had much time to work on it lately. Hopefully I'll get some time this week.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest