Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dcipher

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:12 pm

drew138 wrote:
I never looked at the command lne options before. There are a few there that are really usefull. How do you add multiple command line optins to the mplay.roku file? Do you just seperate them with commas?

easy, just use a space, e.g.:

"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -FixTS -browsedir="/mnt/smb/nfs/dvds" -browseroot="/mnt/smb/nfs/dvds" -nomenu -largeicons

scans

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Just got my PhotoBridge off of eBay based upon the threads (and the MPlayDVD discussion). Works great! Revision A with CF card for swap file.

For those who care, I'm streaming DVD's from an Argosy enclosure NAS ($89) with a 250GB IDE drive (enclosure can fit up to 400GB). 54g stuttered, so I am going to change my network configuration to stay wired.

:P :P :P

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:03 pm

dcipher wrote:
Is there anyway to make the default view the large icon view (command line switch or setup option maybe)?
r111 wrote:
I had the same question, and found the answer on the MPlay web site - there is a new command line switch:
-largeicons

No need to use the command line switch. As stated in the new release post, there's a new option in the Options menu in MPlay for browser icon size.
TheEndless wrote:
A new large icon view for the file browser can be enabled via the options menu.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

r111

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi Endless, Sorry if this is being repetitive but, in my previous reply to you upstream, my closing sentance did not get included.
This command line does not allow play or select in largeicon mode:
"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -noicons -minfilesize=300000 -browsedir=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Videos /mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Videos/video_art.MPlaylist

this one works just fine:
"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -FixTS -nomenu -noicons -nobrowserdelete -browsedir=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Videos/^movies -browseroot=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Videos

TheEndless
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:15 pm

drew138 wrote:
r111 wrote:
dcipher wrote:
Is there anyway to make the defautl view the large icon view (command line switch or setup option maybe)?

I had the same question, and found the answer on the MPlay web site - there is a new command line switch:
-largeicons

I never looked at the command lne options before. There are a few there that are really usefull. How do you add multiple command line optins to the mplay.roku file? Do you just seperate them with commas?

Thanks

Drew

I've added a new page to the MPlay website to make adding command line options to the MPlay.roku file easier: http://www.permanence.com/mplay/rokubuilder.asp

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

TheEndless
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:28 pm

r111 wrote:
Hi Endless, Sorry if this is being repetitive but, in my previous reply to you upstream, my closing sentance did not get included.
This command line does not allow play or select in largeicon mode:
"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -noicons -minfilesize=300000 -browsedir=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Videos /mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Videos/video_art.MPlaylist

this one works just fine:
"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -FixTS -nomenu -noicons -nobrowserdelete -browsedir=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Videos/^movies -browseroot=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Videos

I don't know why you'd have problems with either of those command-lines. I've duplicated them on my end (with valid paths for my system) and they work fine. Nothing you've specified on the command-line should affect how the buttons work in the file browser at all.

TheEndless

drew138

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:46 am

TheEndless wrote:
I've added a new page to the MPlay website to make adding command line options to the MPlay.roku file easier: http://www.permanence.com/mplay/rokubuilder.asp

TheEndless

Awesome! Thanks!

TheEndless
Topic Author

New MPlay v3.5beta (March 26 2006)!

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:47 pm

A new version of MPlay is now available. The following changes were made in this version:
03/26/06
--------
- Added ability to configure a folder view (icon size, filter, password, pattern) via folder.cfg
- Changed: Default description file changed from info.txt to folder.nfo/<filename>.nfo
- Changed: Moved filtering code into file browser
- Updated: Optimized cover art and description loading in file browser

For consistency, the default description text file is now folder.nfo or filename.nfo. info.txt and filename.txt will still work, we just look for the .nfo file first now.

We also now look for a folder.cfg file in each folder to determine how that folder should be displayed in the file browser. In this file, you can specify icon size, filter, password, and pattern match. The format of the file should be as follows:
icons=Large
filter=SequenceSize
password=mypass
pattern=*.mpg;*.ts

Any or all options can be specified.
The acceptable values for icons are:
  • Large (large icons)
  • Small (small icons)
  • SmallNoSize (small icons with no size column)
The acceptable values for filter are:
  • All (show all files)
  • Sequence (show only the first file of sequences)
  • Size (show only files larger than the configured minimum file size)
  • SequenceSize (show only the first file of sequences and only files larger than the configured minimum file size)
password is currently limited to alphanumeric characters only and is case-sensitive. Upon trying to access a folder with a password specified, the user will be prompted to enter the password before continuing.

pattern should be a typical filename pattern match (*.mpg, *.ts, etc.). Multiple patterns should be separated by a semi-colon. If a pattern is specified, only files that match that pattern will be displayed.

Please refer to the website or the first post in this thread for the download link. And, as always, comments, criticisms, and bug reports are welcomed.

TheEndless

drew138

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:02 pm

The Endless, these all seem like great additions to the package. You keep updating it before I even have a chance to upgrade to the latest version. Which is good in a way :-). Been too busy at work to upgrade. Thanks so much!!!

I'll make a suggestion for others to comment on, but I really haven't thought it through so its only a suggestion. I only recently found the option to specify a folder share to start from and its a great feature! It would be cool if there was some way to have the default folder contain a configuration file that specified other shares on the server and the ability to give those shares an icon. For instance, I could launch mPlay and it would show me 5 options / icons (user configurable) to choose from: Home Movies, DVD's, TV Series, Music Videos and Sports. Each icon would represent a folder in a share directory and selecting it would launch me to that share and its contents.

I'm bascially replicating this functionality by containing all my media in a single share with unique folders for management. I suppose simply allowing each folder to have an icon and the ability to display that icon would work as well, but having the ability to jump to a seperate share would be a cool feature. I could see some issues with traversing up and down the tree as well as other issues, but I thought I'd throw an idea out there and see if anyone else liked it.

Drew

PS: thanks again The Endless

r111

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:48 pm

Yes, this "largeicon" enhanced browser is getting so nice it is catylizing even more ideas. I'd like an option for the browser to return to the previous folder that was displayed when the "Play DVD" was initiated. Now, after you have selected a DVD movie folder for direct play, and you press menu, the browser shows you the (rather uninteresting) contents of the specific movie folder. I'd like it to show the previous folder where all my movies will be displayed again. I know I can nav left and with a few button presses get back there, but I think that would be a nice option. Would really make this even more idiot proof for the uninitiated.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:20 pm

r111 wrote:
Yes, this "largeicon" enhanced browser is getting so nice it is catylizing even more ideas. I'd like an option for the browser to return to the previous folder that was displayed when the "Play DVD" was initiated. Now, after you have selected a DVD movie folder for direct play, and you press menu, the browser shows you the (rather uninteresting) contents of the specific movie folder. I'd like it to show the previous folder where all my movies will be displayed again. I know I can nav left and with a few button presses get back there, but I think that would be a nice option. Would really make this even more idiot proof for the uninitiated.

This is something I've thought about adding several times in the past, but to be honest it keeps slipping my mind before I get around to implementing it. Look for it in the next version.

TheEndless

mebby

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:44 pm

As always - loving the enhancements!

Could there be a way to control the number of DVD covers that are displayed on the screen at one time? I like being able to set the large, medium, small parameter but perhaps a HUGE category is needed. Something that would make 8 covers fill up the entire screen (4 on top, and 4 on bottom).

I find that when browsing by cover instead of the small icon (list type) that it's more important to be able to really see the details of each cover in order for it to have full effect...

Perhaps in this mode it even makes sense to just get rid of the menu on the left-hand side so that all you see is 8 DVD covers.

Thanks for considering.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

julianmclean

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:56 am

So I've read the posts here, but still not sure if I can do what I want to do and can't work out how to do it...

Can I specify in the MPlay startup options a particular upnp server to open? I don't need to jump to a directory within that, but would like it to go straight there without showing the other mounts (also set Top to go here).

My upnp server is called "Videos" so I have tried the following:

"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -browsedir="/tmp/Volumes/Videos/" -browseroot="/tmp/Volumes/Videos/" -nomenu -nobrowserdelete

and

"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -browsedir="Videos" -browseroot="Videos" -nomenu -nobrowserdelete

This comes us with an invalid directory path though. Am I doing something wrong, or can you not specify upnp servers in these options?

Any help appreciated...

TheEndless
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:28 pm

julianmclean wrote:
So I've read the posts here, but still not sure if I can do what I want to do and can't work out how to do it...

Can I specify in the MPlay startup options a particular upnp server to open? I don't need to jump to a directory within that, but would like it to go straight there without showing the other mounts (also set Top to go here).

My upnp server is called "Videos" so I have tried the following:

"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -browsedir="/tmp/Volumes/Videos/" -browseroot="/tmp/Volumes/Videos/" -nomenu -nobrowserdelete

and
"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -browsedir="Videos" -browseroot="Videos" -nomenu -nobrowserdelete

This comes us with an invalid directory path though. Am I doing something wrong, or can you not specify upnp servers in these options?

Any help appreciated...

The first command-line is in the correct format if you were mapping to a physical drive, but I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated for UPnP. Since UPnP doesn't have a physical folder structure you can't just specify the name of the folder. This is unsupported, and may blow up MPlay if the server isn't available, but you can try:
"$SXPATH/MPlay.app" -browsedir="upnp:blahblahblah^0~Video" -nomenu -nobrowserdelete

where "upnp:blahblahblah" is the ID of the UPnP server, "0" is the id of the folder within the server (0 is the root folder, any folder IDs below that are in completely different formats dependant on the server you're using), and "Video" is the display name of the server (the ^ and ~ are just delimiters that MPlay uses to parse the string). You can get the ID of the server by telnetting into the Roku, changing to the "/tmp/Volumes" folder and issuing an "ls -l" command. Each UPnP server is listed as a symbolic link to the upnp id.

That should take you to the root folder of your UPnP server. You can specify -browsedir this way, but I don't think -browseroot will work...

TheEndless

julianmclean

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:35 am

Thanks TheEndless. I'll give it a whirl later. If I have problems with it killing MPlay, maybe I'll do a pre-check to see whether the symbolic link exists first, then start MPlay with or without the parameter as appropriate.

Presumably the ID is always the same, even after reboot of either server or Roku? If not, I guess I could ls|grep for the upnp:blahblah string and build it up (I only have one Upnp running).

Will see how it goes and post if successful or not...