Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rvaidyan
Topic Author

MPlay Image Adjustment?

Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:36 am

Hi folks:

Weird issue. I was playing the Wallace and Gromit movie using MPlay and noticed a black strip at the bottom of my screen (16x9 RPTV).

I went into the HD1000 setup and ensured the "video placement" adjustment was okay, and it was. For some reason, it appears that when playing the VOB, the display image is "shifted up" on my TV.

Not sure if I'm explaining this weel, but essentially it appears that the DVD image is not centered on my screen because of a black strip at the bottom of my screen and none on top.

Any idea what's going on?

-RV
--------------------
Rajiv Vaidyanathan

dgburns

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:05 am

Perhaps try moving the IFO's temporarily out of the directory where the VOB's reside and try playing the VOB's and see if problem is same.

Is it possible it's a PAL VOB you're playing out in NTSC, or vice versa?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:05 am

dgburns, the IFOs have no effect on the video, only audio.

rvaidyan, it's probably just how the video is encoded. I've noticed a slight underscan on several DVDs I've viewed. Try viewing it with the built-in video player and see if you have the same problem. You may also want to try the Full+ zoom mode in MPlay and see if that helps.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

swingnstar

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:50 pm

I've noticed this black strip at the bottom only on several dvds lately as well. I don't think I ever saw it until recent versions of mplay. That might or might not be coincidence.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:02 pm

swingnstar wrote:
I've noticed this black strip at the bottom only on several dvds lately as well. I don't think I ever saw it until recent versions of mplay. That might or might not be coincidence.

We've not changed anything with how video is rendered in MPlay. My guess would be that it would happen with every video if it were MPlay causing it. Watch the same video with the built-in player and you should see the same black strip. If not, then perhaps we can arrange for you to send us a small clip of one of the offending videos to test with.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Wulgaru

Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:27 pm

I've gotten the black strip at the bottom of roughly 10% of my videos since I first started using the Roku. I even had a couple posts back then, and we couldn't find a solution. I'm assuming that the current issue is nothing new. It must just be the movie, how it was ripped, or a combination of both. One title I remember in particular is Anchorman. There have been several others, but I can't think of them at the moment. I've actually started to not notice any more.

rvaidyan
Topic Author

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Yes, I don't think it is a big deal. I was just wondering if I was losing more picture on the top because the image had shifted upwards. The black strip is only on the bottom.

This was a rip of Wallace & Gromit, incidentally.
--------------------

Rajiv Vaidyanathan