Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

brad
Topic Author

Small bug in Sonica (or my MP3)

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Hey-

I just loaded up Sonica on a recently purchased HD1000. In the now playing screen below the song title I have the following:

() Track 3: <[][]<[][]'![][]='[]

I don't use a genre tag in my collection so that might be the problem. Was just wondering if Sonica could handle the missing tag better or if I needed to set the genre to a blank " ".

Here's a picture:

Cheers-

Brad

bpwwer

Re: Small bug in Sonica (or my MP3)

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:25 pm

brad wrote:
Hey-

I just loaded up Sonica on a recently purchased HD1000. In the now playing screen below the song title I have the following:

() Track 3: <[][]<[][]'![][]='[]

I don't use a genre tag in my collection so that might be the problem. Was just wondering if Sonica could handle the missing tag better or if I needed to set the genre to a blank " ".

Brad

Brad,
I finally got a chance to look at my code and missing genre tags shouldn't be causing a problem. I check if the tag exist and only set it to a value if it does. Otherwise it is left blank. So I think the songs probably have a genre tag, they just have junk in them. I don't do any checking of the value to make sure it looks valid, so if it has junk in it, that's what gets printed.
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]

Bgrubb1

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:08 pm

Bob
I have the exact same issues with my library (including the same characters). I have been slowly updating the tag info so that no fields are blank, else I see the issue, even to the point of not getting cover art.
..Barry

sansp00

Mon May 08, 2006 5:53 am

Add myself to the list for the bug ...

Im missing a genre, ie electronica, and the last entry of funky characters contains songs from any genre.

All my 8257 MP3's have genres tags and I took the chance of cleaning up all the tags v1, v2 and APE tags to make sure I was not causing it myself.

Is there anything we can do to help solve this issue ?
Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

bpwwer

Mon May 08, 2006 8:30 am

sansp00 wrote:
Add myself to the list for the bug ...

Im missing a genre, ie electronica, and the last entry of funky characters contains songs from any genre.

All my 8257 MP3's have genres tags and I took the chance of cleaning up all the tags v1, v2 and APE tags to make sure I was not causing it myself.

Is there anything we can do to help solve this issue ?
Patrick S.

Is it possible that you are using unicode characters in the tags? You can try using a '-a' option (or select the alternate ID3 processing from the options screen) and re-scan everything. The alternate ID3 parser code is more robust but slower.

I don't known what it is about ID3 tags, but it seems like there are so many things that can go wrong with them. You might want to search this forum for the threads that list ID3 programs that others are using. I use EasyTag on Linux and have not problems with the tags that it writes.
-- Bob --

sansp00

Wed May 10, 2006 9:34 pm

The -a option solved the scanning issue ! Thanks a lot ... Now I have this weird problem that occurs. The track don't play and the Sonica 'browse/skips' throught every song in the playlist. I noticed that the track time is like 00:00/null ...

Could this be due to synchronization problems with my computer or maybe the fact that I am using windows media connect + mounted drive or is it something else that I am doing wrong ?

Thanks for the help
Patrick S.

bpwwer

Thu May 11, 2006 8:13 am

sansp00 wrote:
The -a option solved the scanning issue ! Thanks a lot ... Now I have this weird problem that occurs. The track don't play and the Sonica 'browse/skips' throught every song in the playlist. I noticed that the track time is like 00:00/null ...

This sounds like the audio device is either locked up or in use by another application. Only one application can open the audio device at a time. Do you get any messages in the lower left corner (on the status bar)? Audio device errors should get displayed there.

sansp00 wrote:
Could this be due to synchronization problems with my computer or maybe the fact that I am using windows media connect + mounted drive or is it something else that I am doing wrong ?

Probably not. However, if you recently used the built-in music player application to play something off windows media connect, then it might still have the audio device open.

There's some special sequence to shutting down the built-in player so that it really does exit and doesn't just run in the background. Might be easier to just try rebooting the PB (hold down the power buton for 10 seconds or so). That will make sure the audio device is ok and ready to be used.
-- Bob --

sansp00

Sat May 13, 2006 8:41 pm

Thanks,
I rebooted my PB and rescanned my librairy and Sonica works now !
This software rocks !

Thanks for all the help !
Patrick S.