Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

satz
Topic Author

Growl listener application

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 am

I put together a simple Growl listener application. Growl is a network notification system for Mac OS X. See http://growl.info for more information. In its current form it will listen for an application named "CID" for caller ID. The caller ID name and number (or whatever is sent in the CID notification) will be displayed in the lower right corner of the TV. I use growlnotify to send my caller ID info via AppleScript.

This is alpha quality code right now but it does provide some basic functionality. It can be downloaded at

Feedback and bug reports welcome.

scans

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:48 pm

That's sweet. Does the program run in the background and will pop up on any other program running (Mplay, etc)?

Any chance you can make it respond to YAC (Yet another caller ID)? I have it running on my PC to send caller ID to my Mac (via Growl!)

satz
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:58 pm

That's sweet. Does the program run in the background and will pop up on any other program running (Mplay, etc)?

Yes, it is meant to run in the background. I haven't included any scripts to start it so you need to start it from a telnet session for now. I will start mine from the startup scripts inside /etc/init.d.

Any chance you can make it respond to YAC (Yet another caller ID)? I have it running on my PC to send caller ID to my Mac (via Growl!)

I presume YAC is another network protocol. I haven't looked into it enough to know how hard it would be and I don't have a way to test it. If you are already using Growl to receive YAC, can you then make Growl resend it to the Roku?

scans

Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:11 pm

[quote]
I presume YAC is another network protocol. I haven't looked into it enough to know how hard it would be and I don't have a way to test it. If you are already using Growl to receive YAC, can you then make Growl resend it to the Roku?[/quote]

My PC stays on most of the time, the Mac is usually off (Wife's). The YAC protocol is extremely simple. I wrote a small app on my PC to send the caller ID info to my Audiotron (plus the weather!)

Rather than re-invent the wheel, if you have a sec, check out the simple SDK: http://sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/yac-sdk.htm

taa

Re: Growl listener application

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi Satz,

I'm interested in working with you to develop your Growl listening app for other CID software on Mac and Linux. I could probably help some with YAC integration, even if it's just being available as a beta tester.

I know Tivo owners have the ability to see incoming caller info on their screen, and I'd love for the same thing to be available on my Roku. :D

Asuka

Re: Growl listener application

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:39 am