Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pg_rider
Topic Author

Changing "button" labels for MPlay, Sonica, etc

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:52 am

Is it possible to change the label on the GUI for 3rd party apps like MPlay and Sonica? Not that I mind them, it's just that my wife and friends don't really get them when they use the system. :) Was thinking of changing "MPlay" to "VideoPlayer" or something like that. Is it just a matter of changing a file name somewhere? Or is it more complicated?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Changing "button" labels for MPlay, Sonica, et

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:14 am

pg_rider wrote:
Is it possible to change the label on the GUI for 3rd party apps like MPlay and Sonica? Not that I mind them, it's just that my wife and friends don't really get them when they use the system. :) Was thinking of changing "MPlay" to "VideoPlayer" or something like that. Is it just a matter of changing a file name somewhere? Or is it more complicated?

The name in the GUI is the same as the .roku file name, but there (as is the case with MPlay) may be text inside the .roku that would need to be changed as well, so it may not be as simple as just changing the name. For MPlay, you can use this page from the MPlay site to create a new file with whatever name you want: http://www.permanence.com/mplay/rokubuilder.asp

Just change the "MPlay.roku filename" field to "VideoPlayer.roku" and leave everything else as it is. Then click the download button at the bottom of the page, and save the file in the same folder as you MPlay installation.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

bpwwer

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:36 am

pg_rider wrote:

You can change the name of the sonica.roku file to anything.roku and it will work fine.
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]

brad

Changing "button" labels for MPlay, Sonica, etc [a

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:14 am

This is a timely post, I just spent some time yesterday doing the same thing for the exact reason. (certainly no less appreciation to those who have written all apps that make the PB useful)

As mentioned you can rename the .roku file for a given app. You may also have to change something inside it as well. I'll use mythrouku as an example. I wanted to change it to Watch TV.

I renamed the mythroku.roku file to:

Watch TV.roku

Edited it and changed the same inside on the first line that sets up the path to the cooresponding .app file. You'll see I escaped the space in the name, that is put a \ in front of it.

SXPATH=`echo "$0" | sed 's/\/Watch\ TV.roku$//'`
"$SXPATH/mythroku.app" -settingsdir=DIRECTORY -backend=192.168.1.2

I also renamed the icon (.png) file to:

Watch TV.roku.png

I also went and found some new icons that match, yes I was a little bored. The ideal icons size, if you choose to replace them or build your own is 96x96, at least that worked for me.

Does anyone know who to change the sort order of the icons or at least what it based on?

Here's what mine ended up looking like:

pg_rider
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:31 am

Very cool. Brad, how did you group your icons like that? I'm assuming your Photos share ONLY has picture files in it and therefore only shows the Browse and Slideshow icons? Similarly, your Applications share only has apps and therefore doesn't show Browse, Slideshow, or Listen?

brad

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:48 am

You hit the nail on the head.

1) I have one share with photos
2) None with music since I use slimroku
3) One with movies that gets unmounted in a startup script so Mplay can still use it.
4) One with applications

Here's that script that runs at startup, which gets called from rc.local:

rc.local
(sleep 60 && /mnt/smb/hal/roku/hidesh.sh ) &

hidesh.sh
#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/bin/smbremount

/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="unmount" mountPath="/mnt/flash1"
mediaType="kCompactFlash" mediaDesc="MyCompactFlash" readOnly="false"
/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="unmount" mountPath="/mnt/smb/hal/
movie" mediaType="kSMBMount" mediaDesc="hal-movie" readOnly="false"
/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="unmount" mountPath="/mnt/smb/hal/
roku" mediaType="kSMBMount" mediaDesc="hal-roku" readOnly="false"
/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="mount" mountPath="/mnt/smb/hal/ro
ku" mediaType="kSMBMount" mediaDesc="Applications" readOnly="false"
photo" mediaType="kSMBMount" mediaDesc="hal-photo" readOnly="false"
/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="mount" mountPath="/mnt/smb/hal/ph
oto" mediaType="kSMBMount" mediaDesc="Photos" readOnly="false"

lots of unmounting and mounting based on other posts in the forum. It's just unfortunate it didn't look like that out-of-the-box...

bt

brad

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:53 am

I should give credit to the icons author as well, I am no artist:

http://www.bastianhofmann.de/tvc/doku/liste_icons.html

(from a meedioTV theme.)

I resized them to 96x96.

-bt

tjdebon

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:17 pm

brad wrote:
Does anyone know who to change the sort order of the icons or at least what it based on?

I don't know exactly what the icon order is based upon -- it seems somewhat arcane. I have all my apps on a compact flash. If I start with a freshly reformatted CF card, icon order is alphabetical based on folder name - application name (with root first). I use numerals as the first character of the folder names to help assign the order. If the CF card gets "full" and empty spaces are created within (such as due to deleting some files), it seems like the application icon order is somehow based upon the memory address location. When that happens I make a copy of the CF card contents, reformat it, and reload. This works for me so I've never investigated any further.

satz

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:09 am

It looks like it uses the directory order. That is entries in the directory are normally sorted by ls. See the scandir(3) man page. I verified this by running find dir -print and noticed that the order output by find is the same as the window contents.

brad

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Interesting, you are right, the find command returns them in the same order. My shares are on a linux box so I tried the following brute force approach:

mkdir /tmp/sortme
find /home/roku/ -name '*.roku' | sort | xargs -i cp {} /tmp/sortme/
rm /home/roku/*.roku
find /tmp/sortme/ -name '*.roku' | sort | xargs -i cp {} /home/roku/
rm -r /tmp/sortme

and rebooted the PB. Viola! it worked...sorted fine. I'll just have to remember to run it after I install or update an app.

Thanks-

Brad

johnk73

Re: Changing "button" labels for MPlay, Sonica, etc

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:53 am

All these .roku scripts keep using sed to strip the application name off of the directory name. Here's an easier way to do it (and then you can just rename the script):

SXPATH=`dirname "$0"`