Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Big Al
Topic Author

TVersity and Mplay

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:41 am

Hi,

Had my roku for a while and thanks to the wonderful Mplay, its almost perfect for me (other than the sound dropping out on some of my DVD rips).

I'm trying to use the new feature in Mplay of UPNP server support with TVersity, using it to transcode AVIs on the fly, but absolutely nothing happens. I know its not Mplays fault, but I can't get it to work at all.

I suspect it might be that I'm running the software on Win 2000 server, but it could well be just cos I'm mentally retarded. Can anyone help?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: TVersity and Mplay

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:19 am

Big Al wrote:
Had my roku for a while and thanks to the wonderful Mplay, its almost perfect for me (other than the sound dropping out on some of my DVD rips).

Have you tried the MPlayDVD version of MPlay that is included in the distribution? It's specifically for use with DVDs suffering from audio drop-outs.

Big Al wrote:
I'm trying to use the new feature in Mplay of UPNP server support with TVersity, using it to transcode AVIs on the fly, but absolutely nothing happens. I know its not Mplays fault, but I can't get it to work at all.

I suspect it might be that I'm running the software on Win 2000 server, but it could well be just cos I'm mentally retarded. Can anyone help?

When you say nothing happens, what exactly do you mean? Can you browse the server via MPlay and select a video? If so, you should at least get a message that it's opening the file and/or failed to open the file. In the TVersity configuration panel, what do you have selected under "Media Hub/Receiver"? Setting it to "Other" should give you a configuration that will work. Once you've gotten that far you can tweak it later.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Big Al
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:34 pm

thanks for replying!

I have indeed tried the MPlayDVD app, but unfortunately it still occurs. I'll try it again with your latest release on a few rips to be sure though :wink:

With regards to TVersity, sorry for the lack of info. Mplay can see the server, I can browse to movie files and a message saying its opening the file appears in the top-right of the screen and then nothing... After a little while it just exits. I've set Media/hub receiver to other already as well.

Thanks for your help!

TheEndless

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:59 pm

Big Al wrote:
thanks for replying!

I have indeed tried the MPlayDVD app, but unfortunately it still occurs. I'll try it again with your latest release on a few rips to be sure though :wink:

With regards to TVersity, sorry for the lack of info. Mplay can see the server, I can browse to movie files and a message saying its opening the file appears in the top-right of the screen and then nothing... After a little while it just exits. I've set Media/hub receiver to other already as well.

Thanks for your help!

Hrmm.. is MPlay actually crashing, or do you get a "File open failed!" message? It may be that TVersity can't transcode the files and/or is sending bad data. Do you know what codec the AVIs are encoded with (DivX, XviD, etc.)?

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dericw

Sat May 13, 2006 11:13 pm

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd reopen this one. I just downloaded MPlay and TVersity (MPlay v3.5b and TVersity 0.9.5.3). When I choose "Open File" in MPlay and select "TVersity Media Server", nothing shows in the list. TVersity service is running, firewall is configured, and my "Home Media" tab in TVersity has files in it (mp4 and wmv). The default feeds that installed with TVersity are there also. It's my understanding that after I select "TVersity Media Server" in MPlay that all the Sharing categories in TVersity will show up in the list in MPlay. Do I have something misconfigured?

Any help would be appreciated.

Great program!

Deric

TheEndless

Sun May 14, 2006 8:15 am

dericw wrote:
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd reopen this one. I just downloaded MPlay and TVersity (MPlay v3.5b and TVersity 0.9.5.3). When I choose "Open File" in MPlay and select "TVersity Media Server", nothing shows in the list. TVersity service is running, firewall is configured, and my "Home Media" tab in TVersity has files in it (mp4 and wmv). The default feeds that installed with TVersity are there also. It's my understanding that after I select "TVersity Media Server" in MPlay that all the Sharing categories in TVersity will show up in the list in MPlay. Do I have something misconfigured?

Any help would be appreciated.

Great program!

Deric

Correct, the sharing categories should show up as folders. Are you able to browse TVersity using the Roku UI (ie. from the icon that should show up on the left in the main UI)? Also, in the TVersity interface, make sure you have "Other" selected as the Media Hub/Receiver.

TheEndless

dericw

Sun May 14, 2006 10:22 am

Thanks for the quick response TheEndless.

TVersity does show up on the left hand side of the Roku UI. However, when I select it and rescan, it always says "TVersity Media Server contains no recognized media files. Please insert or choose another media source." I put an MPEG-2 ts file into the Home Media category as a test, but still nothing shows up. I also have "Other selected as the Media Hub/Receiver.

Thanks again!

Edit: The message about TVersity containing no recognized media files is the only thing that shows on the screen. No categories are listed.

TheEndless

Sun May 14, 2006 10:30 am

dericw wrote:
Thanks for the quick response TheEndless.

TVersity does show up on the left hand side of the Roku UI. However, when I select it and rescan, it always says "TVersity Media Server contains no recognized media files. Please insert or choose another media source." I put an MPEG-2 ts file into the Home Media category as a test, but still nothing shows up. I also have "Other selected as the Media Hub/Receiver.

Thanks again!

Edit: The message about TVersity containing no recognized media files is the only thing that shows on the screen. No categories are listed.

Hrmm. Short of rebooting both the server and the Roku, I'm not sure what else you can try. It sounds like you've got everything set up correctly.
If you're adventurous enough, you could try using the Intel UPnP Tools (specifically the Device Sniffer) to verify that TVersity is correctly exposing the data to UPnP devices: http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/a ... m#anchor_3

TheEndless

dgburns

Sun May 14, 2006 11:07 am

TheEndless wrote:

dang...ya never know what coolnesss you'll find in this forum... 8)
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

dericw

Sun May 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Thanks, TheEndless. I saw someone on TVersity's forums that is having a similar problem with 0.9.5. He said it was working fine with a previous version (0.9.0). I think I'll try the older version first. I know they are working on PB compatability and am hopeful it'll be supported soon.

dgburns

Sat May 27, 2006 9:10 am

Endless,
Apparently you're successfully using TVersity with MPlay on the Photobridge. Since there's no info on the TVersity web site I can find about what this combo does/doesn't do, could you give us a rundown? This combo sounds like a solution to MANY of our problems with the native Photobridge.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

TheEndless

Sun May 28, 2006 7:29 am

dgburns wrote:
Endless,
Apparently you're successfully using TVersity with MPlay on the Photobridge. Since there's no info on the TVersity web site I can find about what this combo does/doesn't do, could you give us a rundown? This combo sounds like a solution to MANY of our problems with the native Photobridge.

The main thing it does is real-time transcoding, so you can watch your DivX/XviD on the PhotoBridge. There is one caveat to that, though. Unlike Nero MediaHome, TVersity doesn't like to be told to jump through a transcoded stream, so you aren't able to fast-forward or rewind when using TVersity with MPlay. The other rather interesting feature is TVersity's built-in online media library. There are literally hundreds of online streams that you can watch through TVersity (again, using its transcoding features), not to mention the ability to add your own. It's a bit slow to start up when transcoding internet streams, but will usually start to play them after a second attempt at opening the stream. Overall, if you already have Nero MediaHome and aren't interested in watching internet video, there's probably no real reason to use TVersity. If you don't have MediaHome, however, then TVersity is an excellent free alternative.

TheEndless

dericw

Wed May 31, 2006 8:29 pm

Just to followup, I uninstalled the current version (0.9.5) and installed the previous version (0.9.0) and TVersity seems to be working properly.