Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Cris Moore
Topic Author

Playback while recording problem...

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:40 pm

TheEndless,

I often start playback while the file is still being recorded with a MyHD card. The problem I run into is that MPlay will reach the "End of File" and stop playing on the last file because the .mplay file indicates its at the end. The only way to finish is to wait until the show is done recording (which updates the .mplay file) or to quit MPlay and delete the .mplay file.

Would it be possible to add a remote option that would force MPlay to update the .mplay file so that MPlay knows that the file is now bigger than what is listed in the .mplay file? Perhaps when one does a pause\pause it could be updated there along with the resync?

Cris

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Playback while recording problem...

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:05 am

Cris Moore wrote:
TheEndless,

I often start playback while the file is still being recorded with a MyHD card. The problem I run into is that MPlay will reach the "End of File" and stop playing on the last file because the .mplay file indicates its at the end. The only way to finish is to wait until the show is done recording (which updates the .mplay file) or to quit MPlay and delete the .mplay file.

Would it be possible to add a remote option that would force MPlay to update the .mplay file so that MPlay knows that the file is now bigger than what is listed in the .mplay file? Perhaps when one does a pause\pause it could be updated there along with the resync?

Cris

MPlay only uses the .MPlay file to determine bookmarks, chapters, resume point, and zoom mode. It is not used to determine file length, so it has nothing to do with what you're seeing. MPlay should continue playback as long as there is still data in the file to be served. Can you give us more detail on what's happening when you hit the EOF? Does it just happen at some arbitrary point while watching the video? Does it only happen if you fast-forward or rewind in the video? Is it possible that playback has caught up with the recording when it happens? Is the recording split into multiple files, or one large one? If multiple, how are they named, and do you know if MyHD has a write lock on the current one?

[EDIT]
It looks like marcelo is looking into it for you, since he has a similar set up. I'll let him ask the questions :P http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... 4914#44914
[/EDIT]

Sorry for all the questions...
TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Cris Moore
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:13 am

It looks like marcelo is looking into it for you, since he has a similar set up. I'll let him ask the questions
Yes. I thought I had deleted this post and posted in the MPlay thread but appartently the delete didn't take.

blacksnake

Re: Playback while recording problem...

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:43 am

I am in the same boat, here is a way to get around:
If MyHD application has the option of "split file, you are good to go. MPlay can play files in sequence...:)
I am using TSReader http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/index.html with ATSC card. Everything works great.
I am currently testing MythTV/MythRoku runing 3 ATSC cards. MythRoku has same problem too. Unfortunately MythTV does not allower users to split the file...:(

Cris Moore wrote:
TheEndless,

Cris

marcelo3d

Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:07 pm

I have it fixed at home, but want to clean up some things.
As I don't seem to get the time, let me post my MPlay binary.
Don't use it for streaming UPnP/HTTP, as it would slow some things a lot. It works fine for me when reading files. Let me konw your experience.

http://home.pacbell.net/mar_ross/roku/M ... 060417.zip

Marcelo.-

(The app is bigger because I did not strip debug symbols).

blacksnake

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:03 pm

Marcelo,
It works well now. Thanks for the fix. I am using this version to play MythTV file while it is still being recorded...work fine. The only incovienent thing is the name of MythTV recorded file is all number, a bit hard to recorgnize which show is which. Hope that MythRoku will be fixed soon for the time-shift purpose.
Thanks

marcelo3d wrote:
I have it fixed at home, but want to clean up some things.
As I don't seem to get the time, let me post my MPlay binary.
Don't use it for streaming UPnP/HTTP, as it would slow some things a lot. It works fine for me when reading files. Let me konw your experience.

http://home.pacbell.net/mar_ross/roku/M ... 060417.zip

Marcelo.-

(The app is bigger because I did not strip debug symbols).

daveb

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:31 pm

marcelo,

Working great now! I started a recording with TSReader, and immediately opened the file with MPLay. I could move around anywhere in the file while it was being recorded, including going right to the end (real time).

This is a very useful feature for me. I like to set up an automated recording of the 10:00 PM news and sit down to watch about 10:10 PM. I can then zip through the commercials and finish just about the time the recording is finished. It was a bother hitting the "end of file" marker all the time, but no more. Thanks a lot for fixing this! Now, if we could just get Roku to put out an updated model that has H.264 support.......

Dream on!

dave