Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sansp00
Topic Author

MPlay & TVersity newbie question ...

Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:48 am

I have installed TVersity yesterday night to stream to my RB and my PB. I had MPlay installed on my PB for 2 weeks now to play my family videos and it works like a charm. The thing is that I cant play TVersity 'feeds' !?! I see the selection from the internet 'feeds' but I cannot choose one ... I can browse, but cannot 'select'. What am I missing ?

I tried adding a stream to TVersity for test purposes which worked fine in WMP, but on the PB via MPlay, I can't 'select' it either.

Thanks in advance for you help ...
Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: MPlay & TVersity newbie question ...

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:37 am

sansp00 wrote:
I have installed TVersity yesterday night to stream to my RB and my PB. I had MPlay installed on my PB for 2 weeks now to play my family videos and it works like a charm. The thing is that I cant play TVersity 'feeds' !?! I see the selection from the internet 'feeds' but I cannot choose one ... I can browse, but cannot 'select'. What am I missing ?

I tried adding a stream to TVersity for test purposes which worked fine in WMP, but on the PB via MPlay, I can't 'select' it either.

Thanks in advance for you help ...
Patrick S.

There's no reason you wouldn't be able to select one of the TVersity feeds. I've had mixed results actually getting them to play (often fail with a "Failed to open file" error) due to either timed-out transcoding or invalid transcoding. What exactly do you mean by "can't 'select'"? What view are you using in the file browser?

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

sansp00
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:43 am

I basically just open MPlay->Open a file than browse to TVersity folder and try to select one of the 'feed' ( if they actually are ... ) that have the MPlay icon in the TVersity Video Guide. The thing is that I can browse throught them, but I can't choose any of them.

Thanks
Patrick S.

TheEndless

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:59 am

sansp00 wrote:
I basically just open MPlay->Open a file than browse to TVersity folder and try to select one of the 'feed' ( if they actually are ... ) that have the MPlay icon in the TVersity Video Guide. The thing is that I can browse throught them, but I can't choose any of them.

Thanks
Patrick S.

I still don't understand what you mean by you "can't choose any of them"... I just tested again with TVersity, and with the exception of what I mentioned above, it's working fine. Highlighting a video feed and pressing "Select" on the remote changes focus to the Choose button. A second press of the "Select" button launches the video. Alternatively, highlighting the feed and pressing "Play" on the remote should open the video. What is the exact behavior that you're seeing?

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

sansp00
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:24 am

"Highlighting a video feed and pressing "Select" on the remote changes focus to the Choose button. A second press of the "Select" button launches the video." Thats exactly it, the second selet does not launch the video ... Actually, it does not do anything at all :(

Patrick S.

TheEndless

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:15 am

sansp00 wrote:
"Highlighting a video feed and pressing "Select" on the remote changes focus to the Choose button. A second press of the "Select" button launches the video." Thats exactly it, the second selet does not launch the video ... Actually, it does not do anything at all :(

Patrick S.

I'm at a loss on this one. As I said above, I just tested with TVersity here and it worked fine. What happens if you press play with the video stream highlighted? Also, what version of both MPlay and TVersity are you using?

TheEndless

sansp00
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:43 pm

Im using TVersity version 0.9.0.4 and MPlay 3.5 ( build of the 09/04 ). This is running on a SP2 Windows XP box and a Roku HD1000 rev A (with the latest firmware) and a 64mb swap.

Is there a way that I could test some stuff to get more info ?
Thanks
Patrick S.

TheEndless

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:24 am

sansp00 wrote:
Im using TVersity version 0.9.0.4 and MPlay 3.5 ( build of the 09/04 ). This is running on a SP2 Windows XP box and a Roku HD1000 rev A (with the latest firmware) and a 64mb swap.

Is there a way that I could test some stuff to get more info ?
Thanks
Patrick S.

Have you tried rebooting the server? When you hit play (or select the Choose button in the UI) on the highlighted video file, at the very least MPlay should close the file browser and inform you that it is trying to open the stream. I can't think of any scenario where that would not be the case. With the exception of the fact that I'm running 2.0.34 on my Roku instead of 2.0.36, I'm running the exact same set up as you. You could try running MPlay from the command line to see if it reports any errors...

TheEndless

sansp00
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:20 am

The choose button does not do anything, I did not think about the command line option, so I'll try it out when I get back home.

Thanks for the support, I'll post later on the results ...

TheEndless

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:45 am

sansp00 wrote:
The choose button does not do anything, I did not think about the command line option, so I'll try it out when I get back home.

Thanks for the support, I'll post later on the results ...

If that doesn't give you any additional information, could you give me the exact process you're going through to select the feed (ie. which UPnP folder, which feed, file browser icon mode, etc)? Thanks.

TheEndless

sansp00
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Bad news, the ecp command line does the same as the interface ... Nada :(

# ecp MPlay play
MPlay: OK
# ecp MPlay status
MPlay: Stopped

If that doesn't give you any additional information, could you give me the exact process you're going through to select the feed (ie. which UPnP folder, which feed, file browser icon mode, etc)? Thanks.

UPnP folder:
TVersity Media Server -> upnp:41f955b0-6146-4750-97ed-561f39a5aae4
which feed:
Any of them
file browser icon mode:
The folder view ( a la Windoh! ) can't hilight choose out to choose of the folders
The list view ( a la ls ) can't choose, but can highlight the selection

Like I said before, I basically go in the Open file menu
Browse in TVersity Media Server, Video, TVersity Video Guide and try to select a feed.

What I notice is that at the shell, I was not able to change directory to the TVersity dir ...

# ls -rlt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Apr 19 19:38 CompactFlash -> /mnt/flash1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 19 19:38 Built-in -> /home
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Apr 19 19:38 TVersity Media Server -> upnp:41f955b0-6146-4750-97ed-561f39a5aae4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Apr 19 19:38 none-bfopi9w8gp-my music -> /mnt/smb/none-bfopi9w8gp/my music
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Apr 19 19:38 none-bfopi9w8gp-my pictures -> /mnt/smb/none-bfopi9w8gp/my pictures
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Apr 19 19:38 none-bfopi9w8gp-my videos -> /mnt/smb/none-bfopi9w8gp/my videos
# cd TVersity\ Media\ Server
bash: cd: TVersity Media Server: No such file or directory

Is this normal ?

Anyway, I'll await for further news and in the mean time try to revert to firmware minor .34 instead of .36, maybe this will solve the issue.

Patrick

TheEndless

Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:50 pm

sansp00 wrote:
Bad news, the ecp command line does the same as the interface ... Nada :(

# ecp MPlay play
MPlay: OK
# ecp MPlay status
MPlay: Stopped

I didn't mean the ecp commands. I meant to actually launch MPlay from the command line, so you could see any errors that are output when you try to launch the stream.

sansp00 wrote:
What I notice is that at the shell, I was not able to change directory to the TVersity dir ...

# ls -rlt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Apr 19 19:38 CompactFlash -> /mnt/flash1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 19 19:38 Built-in -> /home
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Apr 19 19:38 TVersity Media Server -> upnp:41f955b0-6146-4750-97ed-561f39a5aae4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Apr 19 19:38 none-bfopi9w8gp-my music -> /mnt/smb/none-bfopi9w8gp/my music
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Apr 19 19:38 none-bfopi9w8gp-my pictures -> /mnt/smb/none-bfopi9w8gp/my pictures
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Apr 19 19:38 none-bfopi9w8gp-my videos -> /mnt/smb/none-bfopi9w8gp/my videos
# cd TVersity\ Media\ Server
bash: cd: TVersity Media Server: No such file or directory

Is this normal ?

Yes, that's normal. The UPnP servers are not mounted folders, so you can't browse them from the file system.

sansp00 wrote:
Anyway, I'll await for further news and in the mean time try to revert to firmware minor .34 instead of .36, maybe this will solve the issue.

I'm afraid there won't be any further news unless I can reproduce what you're seeing, and so far I can't. It works fine here. Have you tried to play any local files served through TVersity or only the internet feeds?

TheEndless

sansp00
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:01 pm

Thanks for the help ...
I seem to have figured it out, I changed the MediaHub to Other and restarted the service with the Administrator user which worked. :D

My only issue now is very choppy sound, I saw a previous thread about this, so I'll try rolling back to 2.0.34 ... I run very similar setup that was described, all wired up, netgear router, win XP pro SP2.

Just for the heck of it, what setting do you have in TVersity in the general and transcoding tabs ? I just want to make sure things are kosher.

Thanks for your time, your doing a bang up job !
Patrick

TheEndless

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:24 pm

sansp00 wrote:
Thanks for the help ...
I seem to have figured it out, I changed the MediaHub to Other and restarted the service with the Administrator user which worked. :D

Glad you got it working! What did you have the Media Hub set to before?

sansp00 wrote:
My only issue now is very choppy sound, I saw a previous thread about this, so I'll try rolling back to 2.0.34 ... I run very similar setup that was described, all wired up, netgear router, win XP pro SP2.

Just for the heck of it, what setting do you have in TVersity in the general and transcoding tabs ? I just want to make sure things are kosher.

Apart from setting the Media Hub to other, I'm pretty sure I left everything else at the defaults. Admittedly, I don't use TVersity too often, so there's probably plenty of room for optimization...

TheEndless

sansp00
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:00 am

Since I also had my radio bridge on the server, it was set for the Roku Soundbridge series. I still don't quite understand the reason behind the service having issues, the regular account had all the rights :?

Rolling back to .34 increased speed, but its still choppy ... I think its more due to my ADSL bandwith or my PC bottlenecking. Im surprised because I have the high speed 1 meg transfer and a P4 2.4 with 2 gigs of ram ( And when I stream directly with MediaPlayer it's perfect quality ).

The thing I noticed is that even if I stop the stream im listening to, my computer and network still are working like crazy. Liked it hanged still streaming, and thats even when I am out of MPlay. Probably a TVersity bug or something. I have not tried streaming a ripped DVD yet, only small home movies I did with my digital cam. I'll try a ripped DVD to compare and try to isolated the source of choppiness.

Thanks for everything

Patrick