Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dj7675
Topic Author

Any SageTv users? Roku Client?

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:06 am

I just started using sagetv software as my pvr sofware and it works very well. I am recording satellite 4dtv and starchoice hd/sd with sage and using the roku for playback. I much prefer using roku/mplay for playback, but the icing on the cake would be to have the roku be a sage client so I could schedule recordings with the roku instead of switching to the pc.
Any sage users out there doing anything similiar?
For those interested in recording sd/hd via directv, dish, 4dtv, starchoice, bell to pc I can't recommend the r5000hd more. Makes perfect recordings. And now it works with sage and can record up to 4 hd streams at the same time via sage. Now if the roku could just be used to schedule the recordings....

http://www.r5000hd.com if anyone has not heard of it.

Darin

waynedunham

Mon May 01, 2006 11:08 am

Count me in! I've got a Roku sitting on the shelf right now.

I've used it in the past to view Sage recordings from my Sage machine, but without the Sage UI, or at the very least the ability to see show descriptions, etc it just wasn't a "pleasant" experience. When you have literally hundreds of recordings trying to decide which episode you want to watch is impossible without the show descriptions giving the show description, episode #, original air date, etc.

All we would really need is a minimal web browser and a VLC client and then we could use the SageTV web server plugin.

A placeshifter client, or full blown client would be even better though.

The PhotoBridge would make the ideal thin-client, silent and powerful.

If only the powers at Roku would see the possibilities of the PhotoBridge. They've got something that could do things that nobody else is offering. <sigh>
Wayne Dunham

dj7675
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2006 11:24 am

I agree completely. I currently use the roku to view the recordings anyway. I just don't want to go down the road to use a pc for watching hd recordings. Too much potential for issues. Roku/Mplay plays them perfectly. I really wish sage had a roku photobride client or extender. I would buy it. Sage seems to have quite a lot of documentation on many of their software. I wish I had the know how to make something work as well. Right now the episode name/title is good enough to see what the show is for me. I would like to also be able to pull of the sage guide and schedule recordings as well. The Roku would be the ultimate sage client.....thin, silent, open source, and plays sd/hd. Surprised it hasn't been given a go yet by anyone....Maybe if Mplay knew what location/file format the episode information was in, it could display it? Like you mentioned I believe the episode info can be exported to xml via a plugin. Not sure if it is possible or not to read the sage episode descriptions or not....

Darin

dgburns

Tue May 09, 2006 10:57 am

dj7675 wrote:
I really wish sage had a roku photobride client or extender. I would buy it.

As would many Roku owners. Perhaps as an owner you can convince Sage to develop a Photobridge client? Sounds daunting for some home user to individually develop and post it here, but if a company like Sage would develop it.... 8)
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

dj7675
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2006 11:12 am

I think I will email sage. You never know. I have purchased the media center version as well as a client version already and would be happy to purchase a client version for the roku to. It really would be the ideal client.

Darin